“Awesome” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 80 Hotels in Agadir
dorking,uk
“Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

A wonderful new Riu hotel.We have stayed at 4 Riu hotels in the past, but this was the best.
Excellent food,with a lot of choice.Two good a la carte restaurants. Calming relaxing atmosphere, with spacious areas for reception and lounges.
Attentive welcoming friendly staff who were also unassuming but always ready to help with a smile.
Lovely safe sandy beaches with a private area for Riu guests
Went for walks on the prom and also into town.
The bedrooms were large and well furnished. Sea/pool view room is worth the extra money. The room even had a kettle.
Bizarre that no drawers in the room.
Good service from Thomsons. Brand new aircraft.
Wide age range of guests.
Wifi works.
Always a cooling breeze fron the sea.
Bacons of Surrey,UK(7 nights from 30 April,2012)
TTFN

Room Tip: Go for the third floor with pool/sea view.Same level as reception. I would not want ground floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (536)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I have just returned from the hotel. It was lovely, although some of the bars and Italian restaurant are not open Long with the spa it was still a fantastic holiday and great value for money.
Mini bar is not restocked regular, but they are more than happy to do this daily if you ask, no drawers in bedroom but a lovely room, beds are very very comfortable. No slippers or robes provided so take tour own, also lack of toiletries so take own moisturiser etc.hair dryer 1200 watts so may need to take your own.
The pool area is immaculate and designed so nice,
Sun loungers are so comfortable, staff are very friendly, indoor pool lovely but needs a good clean, gym is good sufficient equipment and overlooks the pools and gardens. You ideally need a pool view room as we were facing a wall. Food very good in Buffett restaurant and moroccan, krystal needs a little improvement. Entertainment ok including salsa lessons, arts classes, Arabic lessons bands, shows aqua aerobics too.

The reception in stunning sofa so comfortable and you will be treated with lovely cocktails when you arrive.
All spirits are branded and good selection of drinks and cocktails, if you are diabetic just be careful as often you are given regular coke as opposed to diet.

Good location and on the beach front

Moez the Thomson rep was great, very helpful and friendly

• Stayed May 2012
Dewsbury, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

My partner and I have just returned from a week at this hotel, we were a little worried about some of the comments on here but can honestly say we had a fabulous time. Yes it is a new hotel and there is still some work going on but not enough to spoil the experience, the rooms are lovely with a dressing area and large bathroom, the shower was great. The food in the main restaurant couldn't be faulted, we tried to eat in the Moroccon restaurant but unfortunately it was full but we did eat in the Gourmet restaurant and whilst the ambience was perfect we preferred the food in the main restaurant.
The staff were very helpful and friendly in the bars, restaurant and round the pool. The swim up bar wasn't open but I think that was more to do with the weather than it not been ready, I am sure once the weather gets warmer it will be lovely.
Moez the Thomson advisor was really helpful and had some good tips to offer regarding the trips and surrounding area. All in all we had a great time and would definitely go back.

lancaster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

I have no real criticisms of this hotel. It is a lovely place to stay. The rooms are lovely and of a good size. I enjoyed having my own sink in the bathroom. Only comment I would make is that I could have done with some drawer space. There do not appear to be any drawers at all.
It has only just opened and it is early in the year so not all the bars and restaurants were open but that did not detract from our enjoyment at all and yes - it is just being finished off but so what, it is still a first class hotel.
The pool area is lovely. They have the best sunbeds I have ever been on. It is kept very clean.
The waiter service around the pool and the lobby bar is good. Sometimes a little slow but you are always served by somebody very pleasant and willing.
At the beginning we were told that we would see the manager and the deputy manager walking around the hotel on a regular basis and we did - on a daily basis. The only real problem that I had is that I invested in a £500 ipad so that could benefit from the hotels free wifi and keep in touch with business whilst I was there and unfortunately it was not working for most of the week so don't depend on this.
Unusually for a Riu I enjoyed the restaurant. Normally it is a feeding frenzy but not so here, maybe because it was only half full. I also found the food to be varied and of a higher standard than all other Riu hotels that I have been in, maybe because this is a Palace. We could have cava with breakfast if we wanted. I also enjoyed the speciality restaurants although not everyone did.
Outside the hotel everything seems to be quite clean. The promenade and the beach were lovely although we didn't spend much time on the beach because I think we happened to pick the most windy week ever.
We ventured out to the english bar which I personally didn't rate however I am not particularly into football or rugby. We went because I wanted a pint of fosters but the only beer they had was Moroccan, same as the hotel, and it was about £4.00 a pint.
Overall though the hotel, resort and holiday were brilliant. I can't really fault this hotel and the staff were lovely. I actually joined in some activities such as boules and darts which I have never done before and it was good fun.
I think I will definitely be going again, to the Palace if possible however I think the price might be going up so maybe I will try one of the other Riu hotels.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

We have just got back from 10 days at the Rui Palace. It was a wonderful hotel with wonderful staff. The rooms were amazing and the whole hotel was beautiful. There is some work going on around the hotel but no more than I have found at other hotels. The beach was being sorted when we were there and the swim up bar wasn't open. But the rest of the hotel was more or less up and running. We had wonderful food the whole time we were there and we went to one of the restaurants that you have to book. The food was lovely. We both love Morocco and the people so we were truly in heaven at this hotel. There are two Casino that are just across the road and many shops just outside the Hotel. The weather was hot in the morning and there was a wind from the sea in the afternoon but we both came back with a lovely tan. The shows at night are worth seeing and the animation team are the best. The pool bar staff were great never had an empty glass. The drinks are branded which means you get a nice drink. The cocktail are great I know I drunk them all lol. Please visit this hotel you will not be disappointed it was a fab holiday. This is also a lovely hotel for anyone who is in a wheel chair they have lots of lifts on every floor and rooms for disabled people with walk- in shower and rails at the toilet. There also are ramps everywhere. I hope if you visit you have a wonderful time. Maybe one day we will return :)

Room Tip: I don't think it matters what room you have. If you want to pay more money for a view of the poo...
Rugby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

please do not pay any attention to any negative comments about this hotel it really is fantastic..We have just returned from a week there and yes we were aware there was still some work going on but no more than you would find at other hotels with men tending to the gardens and the odd maintenance job it certainly did not get in the way..The pool atmosphere was brill the bar staff were so polite and yes there was music round the pool but not what i would call loud...the loungers were comfortable you still had people reserving beds and disappearing for the day tut tut .but we always found a spot.. the main restaurant served fabulous food we never got bored really enjoyed the selection of fish... the drinks service was hit and miss as whether you got your drinks straight away but as long as you speak up and don't sit and moan the waiters were more than happy to bring your order.... We went to the Krystal Fusion while we were there the idea is there but it needs managed a little better the service was slow and a bit dis-organised but hey we are on holiday who needs to rush... We stayed in the hotel every night the entertainment was not the best for a 5 star but the bar staff and friends we met around the bar made up for that... Our room did not overlook the pool but it was really lovely and huge.. i would not complain about this hotel and i would certainly return there small teething problems will sort themselves out ... We walked into Agadir along the promenade it is lovely with plenty of bars and restaurants to eat at if you wish quite an exclusive resort you feel you are abroad and not in little England.All i can say is ladies pack your best frock and get out there it is a lovely hotel and they make you feel special ........ P.S beware the sun is very deceiving it feels like 22 degrees due to the breeze but in reality we hit 32 degrees use sun cream at all time..

derbyshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

I have been thinking about how to address this review for a few days and it seems that reviewer DV29 has been reading my mind !
Firstly I will say that we are great fans of both Morocco in general and Agadir and have stayed in various hotels around the resort over the past few years.We are also keen on RIU Hotels and have been very satisfied with the standards at the ones in Marrakech.Having paid quite a lot more money for the Palace we were interested to see what we would get in addition to the services offered at the Tikida Palmeraie which is 4*.
Arguably the decor is very good and they have also managed to make the vast reception/bar lounge very welcoming and somehow quite homely. The staff are friendly and polite and eager to please on the whole.The bedrooms are well furnished, however the total lack of drawer space was a nuisance - I had my underwear balanced on top of the safe for the whole week- and the beds were ROCK hard.Whoever decided to put louvred doors on the toilet must be into exhibitionism - not everyone is sharing a room with people that they know well enough not to wish for some privacy when using the toilet. However unlike DV29 we found the housekeeping standards ok on the whole and the maids were very pleasant girls.

The food in the buffet restaurants was VERY good with a vast choice. It seemed that many of the staff were inexperienced and there was an obvious lack of senior people to keep an eye on them. The poor restaurant manager looked stressed most of the time but was asking guests for their opinions and did appear to act on their responses.The lady in charge of the lunchtime restaurant was doing a great job - they need more people like her.The chefs were very much in evidence and keen to find out what you thought of the food, and I am sure that they got very positive remarks from most people.

We only managed one visit to the speciality restaurants - the Krystal Fusion.Apart from the Appetiser we thought that the food was excellent but the service was terribly slow and I think that I had had so much to drink during the forty five minutes that we had to wait for the starter that my judgement of the food may have been impaired !!! Once again the staff were trying hard but didn't seem to know what they were doing and there was no senior waiter to guide them.

We didn't sit in the pool area as most of the sunbeds seemed to have towels on them by the time that we got round to sitting down, but instead used the outside bar area which was lovely and the bar staff were FABULOUS. This was spoilt on occasions by the awful piped music which was also too loud. If people want music they listen to their MP3 players not some woman singing Eric Clapton songs badly.

In our opinion this hotel should not have opened until about the middle of May as it is not finished and many of the services that we were promised in the brochure were not yet available There was no Spa unless you went to another hotel, no Italian Restaurant,no hairdresser, no Riu Art ( which my husband would like to have used ) and the beach area was still being worked on and not condusive to relaxing in the sun.I feel that we have been used as guinea-pigs by the holiday companies to test the services prior to the main season.

The toilets in the reception have wonderful decor but only one hand-dryer works efficiently in the ladies and there are no paper towels.The disabled toilet has a wash-basin but no soap or dryer so where does the disabled person wash their hands ??

The difference between a good four star hotel and a five star is in the small things which lift it to luxury standards. As has been previously said nice decor and friendly staff do not do this. I asked whether there was an ATM and was told to go to the bank across the road and therefore walk around the streets with large sums of money in my bag. Having been to Morocco before I know that this is relatively safe but other people would not.I would like to see an internet room ( which they have at the Riu Tikida Palmeraie ) and possibly hotel transport down to the Marina.
The hotel shop was just being fully stocked when we left and sells good quality gifts at fairly reasonable prices and we would recommend it to those who don't want to shop in the town.

This fabulous looking hotel has the potential to be the best in Agadir but it is definitely not five star at the moment.It needs more time for the services to develop and for some of the staff to get more experience before it can offer the real five star experience that we were hoping for.

Regarding Agadir in general there are a few fixed price shops around if you don't want to haggle and a trip to the Uniprix is a must to get cheap sweets etc to take back for the kids. Also has a large selection of alcoholic drinks at low prices if you want to take something home.I bought some of the best silver rings EVER from the man situated on the steps of Uniprix at rock bottom prices.All prices are fixed so you know what you are getting.

For drinks on the promenade go to the Nil Bleu where the waiters are very friendly and the views of the wonderful sunsets are to die for. Posher shops are to be found around the Marina which are good for browsing, and the whole area is nice. Go up to the kasbah for fantastic views of the bay but beware the camel owners who will hassle you for money if they think you are taking pictures of the camels.I did ride a camel up there a couple of years ago and it seemed quite safe although they tried ( and failed ) to charge a huge sum of money for this.

There isn't a great deal to do in Agadir but it is wonderful for a relaxing holiday in the sun with lovely Moroccan people.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are better but don't get any sun on one side.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Tikida Agadir? Share your experiences!