“Beautiful addition to Riu collection” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
EARLY BIRD SPRING DEALS
Ranked #2 of 80 Hotels in Agadir
lancaster
“Beautiful addition to Riu collection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

I have no real criticisms of this hotel. It is a lovely place to stay. The rooms are lovely and of a good size. I enjoyed having my own sink in the bathroom. Only comment I would make is that I could have done with some drawer space. There do not appear to be any drawers at all.
It has only just opened and it is early in the year so not all the bars and restaurants were open but that did not detract from our enjoyment at all and yes - it is just being finished off but so what, it is still a first class hotel.
The pool area is lovely. They have the best sunbeds I have ever been on. It is kept very clean.
The waiter service around the pool and the lobby bar is good. Sometimes a little slow but you are always served by somebody very pleasant and willing.
At the beginning we were told that we would see the manager and the deputy manager walking around the hotel on a regular basis and we did - on a daily basis. The only real problem that I had is that I invested in a £500 ipad so that could benefit from the hotels free wifi and keep in touch with business whilst I was there and unfortunately it was not working for most of the week so don't depend on this.
Unusually for a Riu I enjoyed the restaurant. Normally it is a feeding frenzy but not so here, maybe because it was only half full. I also found the food to be varied and of a higher standard than all other Riu hotels that I have been in, maybe because this is a Palace. We could have cava with breakfast if we wanted. I also enjoyed the speciality restaurants although not everyone did.
Outside the hotel everything seems to be quite clean. The promenade and the beach were lovely although we didn't spend much time on the beach because I think we happened to pick the most windy week ever.
We ventured out to the english bar which I personally didn't rate however I am not particularly into football or rugby. We went because I wanted a pint of fosters but the only beer they had was Moroccan, same as the hotel, and it was about £4.00 a pint.
Overall though the hotel, resort and holiday were brilliant. I can't really fault this hotel and the staff were lovely. I actually joined in some activities such as boules and darts which I have never done before and it was good fun.
I think I will definitely be going again, to the Palace if possible however I think the price might be going up so maybe I will try one of the other Riu hotels.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Polish first
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

We have just got back from 10 days at the Rui Palace. It was a wonderful hotel with wonderful staff. The rooms were amazing and the whole hotel was beautiful. There is some work going on around the hotel but no more than I have found at other hotels. The beach was being sorted when we were there and the swim up bar wasn't open. But the rest of the hotel was more or less up and running. We had wonderful food the whole time we were there and we went to one of the restaurants that you have to book. The food was lovely. We both love Morocco and the people so we were truly in heaven at this hotel. There are two Casino that are just across the road and many shops just outside the Hotel. The weather was hot in the morning and there was a wind from the sea in the afternoon but we both came back with a lovely tan. The shows at night are worth seeing and the animation team are the best. The pool bar staff were great never had an empty glass. The drinks are branded which means you get a nice drink. The cocktail are great I know I drunk them all lol. Please visit this hotel you will not be disappointed it was a fab holiday. This is also a lovely hotel for anyone who is in a wheel chair they have lots of lifts on every floor and rooms for disabled people with walk- in shower and rails at the toilet. There also are ramps everywhere. I hope if you visit you have a wonderful time. Maybe one day we will return :)

Room Tip: I don't think it matters what room you have. If you want to pay more money for a view of the poo...
Rugby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

please do not pay any attention to any negative comments about this hotel it really is fantastic..We have just returned from a week there and yes we were aware there was still some work going on but no more than you would find at other hotels with men tending to the gardens and the odd maintenance job it certainly did not get in the way..The pool atmosphere was brill the bar staff were so polite and yes there was music round the pool but not what i would call loud...the loungers were comfortable you still had people reserving beds and disappearing for the day tut tut .but we always found a spot.. the main restaurant served fabulous food we never got bored really enjoyed the selection of fish... the drinks service was hit and miss as whether you got your drinks straight away but as long as you speak up and don't sit and moan the waiters were more than happy to bring your order.... We went to the Krystal Fusion while we were there the idea is there but it needs managed a little better the service was slow and a bit dis-organised but hey we are on holiday who needs to rush... We stayed in the hotel every night the entertainment was not the best for a 5 star but the bar staff and friends we met around the bar made up for that... Our room did not overlook the pool but it was really lovely and huge.. i would not complain about this hotel and i would certainly return there small teething problems will sort themselves out ... We walked into Agadir along the promenade it is lovely with plenty of bars and restaurants to eat at if you wish quite an exclusive resort you feel you are abroad and not in little England.All i can say is ladies pack your best frock and get out there it is a lovely hotel and they make you feel special ........ P.S beware the sun is very deceiving it feels like 22 degrees due to the breeze but in reality we hit 32 degrees use sun cream at all time..

derbyshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

I have been thinking about how to address this review for a few days and it seems that reviewer DV29 has been reading my mind !
Firstly I will say that we are great fans of both Morocco in general and Agadir and have stayed in various hotels around the resort over the past few years.We are also keen on RIU Hotels and have been very satisfied with the standards at the ones in Marrakech.Having paid quite a lot more money for the Palace we were interested to see what we would get in addition to the services offered at the Tikida Palmeraie which is 4*.
Arguably the decor is very good and they have also managed to make the vast reception/bar lounge very welcoming and somehow quite homely. The staff are friendly and polite and eager to please on the whole.The bedrooms are well furnished, however the total lack of drawer space was a nuisance - I had my underwear balanced on top of the safe for the whole week- and the beds were ROCK hard.Whoever decided to put louvred doors on the toilet must be into exhibitionism - not everyone is sharing a room with people that they know well enough not to wish for some privacy when using the toilet. However unlike DV29 we found the housekeeping standards ok on the whole and the maids were very pleasant girls.

The food in the buffet restaurants was VERY good with a vast choice. It seemed that many of the staff were inexperienced and there was an obvious lack of senior people to keep an eye on them. The poor restaurant manager looked stressed most of the time but was asking guests for their opinions and did appear to act on their responses.The lady in charge of the lunchtime restaurant was doing a great job - they need more people like her.The chefs were very much in evidence and keen to find out what you thought of the food, and I am sure that they got very positive remarks from most people.

We only managed one visit to the speciality restaurants - the Krystal Fusion.Apart from the Appetiser we thought that the food was excellent but the service was terribly slow and I think that I had had so much to drink during the forty five minutes that we had to wait for the starter that my judgement of the food may have been impaired !!! Once again the staff were trying hard but didn't seem to know what they were doing and there was no senior waiter to guide them.

We didn't sit in the pool area as most of the sunbeds seemed to have towels on them by the time that we got round to sitting down, but instead used the outside bar area which was lovely and the bar staff were FABULOUS. This was spoilt on occasions by the awful piped music which was also too loud. If people want music they listen to their MP3 players not some woman singing Eric Clapton songs badly.

In our opinion this hotel should not have opened until about the middle of May as it is not finished and many of the services that we were promised in the brochure were not yet available There was no Spa unless you went to another hotel, no Italian Restaurant,no hairdresser, no Riu Art ( which my husband would like to have used ) and the beach area was still being worked on and not condusive to relaxing in the sun.I feel that we have been used as guinea-pigs by the holiday companies to test the services prior to the main season.

The toilets in the reception have wonderful decor but only one hand-dryer works efficiently in the ladies and there are no paper towels.The disabled toilet has a wash-basin but no soap or dryer so where does the disabled person wash their hands ??

The difference between a good four star hotel and a five star is in the small things which lift it to luxury standards. As has been previously said nice decor and friendly staff do not do this. I asked whether there was an ATM and was told to go to the bank across the road and therefore walk around the streets with large sums of money in my bag. Having been to Morocco before I know that this is relatively safe but other people would not.I would like to see an internet room ( which they have at the Riu Tikida Palmeraie ) and possibly hotel transport down to the Marina.
The hotel shop was just being fully stocked when we left and sells good quality gifts at fairly reasonable prices and we would recommend it to those who don't want to shop in the town.

This fabulous looking hotel has the potential to be the best in Agadir but it is definitely not five star at the moment.It needs more time for the services to develop and for some of the staff to get more experience before it can offer the real five star experience that we were hoping for.

Regarding Agadir in general there are a few fixed price shops around if you don't want to haggle and a trip to the Uniprix is a must to get cheap sweets etc to take back for the kids. Also has a large selection of alcoholic drinks at low prices if you want to take something home.I bought some of the best silver rings EVER from the man situated on the steps of Uniprix at rock bottom prices.All prices are fixed so you know what you are getting.

For drinks on the promenade go to the Nil Bleu where the waiters are very friendly and the views of the wonderful sunsets are to die for. Posher shops are to be found around the Marina which are good for browsing, and the whole area is nice. Go up to the kasbah for fantastic views of the bay but beware the camel owners who will hassle you for money if they think you are taking pictures of the camels.I did ride a camel up there a couple of years ago and it seemed quite safe although they tried ( and failed ) to charge a huge sum of money for this.

There isn't a great deal to do in Agadir but it is wonderful for a relaxing holiday in the sun with lovely Moroccan people.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are better but don't get any sun on one side.
Reading England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

We had a guided tour of the hotel while staying at The Tikida Beach Hotel...looks very good but obviously not really ready for guests. The trees were still under wraps and tied up. Lots of workmen around and not enough guests for an 'atmosphere'. Apparently they have stopped taking bookings and moving guests to another Rui ( Dunas) Hotel along the road, for a while. It's everything you would expect from a Rui Palace Hotel...

Room Tip: We didn't stay the night so look at other reviews on TA.
Stafford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Like the other reviews have said this will be a fantastic hotel and guest experience once finished. The furnishings are to die for and the reception in particular is one of the most impressive I've seen. The Manager is working hard to get this hotel to the 5* level and will often be around day and night to gain feedback from the guests and guide the staff.

Bedroom - Bathroom fantastic just needs light over the bath, bed is superbly comfortable and room is furnished to a high standard. More drawer space required and TV is a little too low. On the whole the housekeeping was inconsistent, dusty surfaces, cups and glasses washed out when it suited, bed not made to any particular standard, the rooms will only be as good as the person checking them!!! The view if you didn't choose pool side is quite uninspiring, but we did get a slight sea view from the 3rd floor.

Food - Best buffet offering we have experienced by far!! Breakfast service team need to be more attentive, seat the guests, get the tea and coffee without having to be asked, or at least explain that they are only there to re lay the tables and to help yourself. Lunch and Dinner again fantastic, same comments as per breakfast service though.

Now for the sore point around food........ A La Carte Restaurants are booked up straight away because the availability has been restricted, I believe for training, and your allowed only one restaurant booking per stay!!! News to us and not made clear enough on the website. The Moroccan restaurant was an all round let down I'm afraid guys, slow service throughout and when food did arrive it was bland no better than the buffet offering (Lamb Kebabs & Fish Tagiene). We were really looking forward to this...... it's 5* and the flavours should blow your mind, unfortunately they didn't and we left before dessert! The Krystal restaurant was the same I'm afraid, 1 hr wait then starter arrives wrong, and appetizers had to be asked for as the entire course was missed, steak offered but not asked how I would like it cooked, all this whilst the restaurant only 16 covers to attend to. We spoke to the manager afterwards who actually approached us and was keen to get our feedback.

Pool area was fantastic, real comfort and quality, music too loud though on occasion think its the towel hut team turning the volume up???, background music only guys those that want it loud will use their ipod.

Activities team don't worry the guests will come to you if their bored they don't need you to pester them while their relaxing on their well earned holiday, a list of activities under my door each day or a board by the pool is fine to inform people of what your doing - on the flip side you were always polite and did not push the activity if we said no.

Bar service is excellent, and although we didn't drink that much the drink quality was very good - keep doing what your doing.

Reception very friendly but some had difficulty understanding English - same old story though with us Brits believing everyone else should make the effort - this was not a major problem.

Resort - not much to do really, 2 nice restaurants we tried (La Scala & Little Norway) good food and attentive service, beach was huge (private section for the hotel), but sea too cold during April.

Weather was good - cloudy most mornings turning to great sunshine every day by 10 ish until 5/6pm, windy and on our last day most people abandoned the pool area while fixtures flew across the grounds.

Overall the experience was great and we had a really relaxing holiday in the sun, the hotel is progressive and I could easily be so wowed by the new furniture that I forget everything else (like some reviewers!) but I genuinely want to see this hotel and team do well, they need all the feedback they can get and I know they'll reach perfection soon - best of luck.

Room Tip: Room Number 3135 or higher 4135 or higher
Shropshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

We have just returned from at week at the Riu Palace, the hotel is stunning.
The reception is very impressive, check in smooth, bedrooms lovely and staff very helpful. There is still some work going on but this did not interfere with our stay. The staff go out of the way to help. The pool area is great with very comfy sun loungers. Food very good in all the restaurants.
We thoroughly enjoyed our week and would be lovely to visit again once the hotel is completely finished.

Room Tip: Choose a pool view room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Tikida Agadir? Share your experiences!