“Excellent hotel and brilliant service” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
save up to 35%
Ranked #5 of 80 Hotels in Agadir
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel and brilliant service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed here last week for three days. I must start by commenting on the service from the staff. Before we arrived we had read some reviews here regarding service at breakfast times so went with the attitude of 'we are in no hurry if it is a little slow'. I can truly say the service was excellent. We were shown to a table immediately, there was no waiting at all for coffee and there were plenty of staff on hand. The managers, like those of a true 5 star hotel, must have taken those very few negative comments on board because there was no sign whatsoever or any service problems. The breakfast was amazing, plenty, and I mean plenty, of everything from cooked breakfasts, fresh pancakes, huge selection of pastries, fruit, cheese, meats, cake, bread, yogurts etc. it was all beautifully laid out and prepared. The hotel is wonderful. We arrived and were led to a huge sofa and then brought hot towels to refresh ourselves and a selection of Moroccan treats and Mint tea was brought out. A lovely lady on reception copied our passports and we were show to our room. We had a delux sea view room and it was wonderful. A complimentary mini bar,with soft drinks, replenished daily, was waiting together with a bottle of wine (did not drink it but it was probably a good one) and a tray of cakes and macaroons. The shower with its different coloured lighting was great, as we're the toiletries. The bed was lovely and soft and the bathrobes and slippers were lovely. We had a big big balcony with plenty of seating. The staff really are so very friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much for them, from the cleaners upwards, they were always very polite and we were made to feel very welcome from the moment we stepped into the beautiful lobby. The restaurants looked very nice although we did not eat dinner at the hotel but I can imagine it would be excellent food. The pool area was perfect, plenty of lovely sun loungers and towels provided and staff checking and delivering drinks and food if ordered. We visited the spa, for the Hamman and pool which again was great. We love travelling and visit places that other people have recommended here on tripadviser regardless of its star rating but I have to admit this was the best hotel I have stayed in. We make a point of not staying at the same area and hotel more than once as there are many places we still want to see but have both agreed we will go back here again for some winter sun and to be thoroughly spoilt. If you have any questions about anything please ask away. Have a lovely time if you have booked to stay here, if not, consider booking, you will love it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Madame, Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Tripadvisor.
It's always a pleasure to receive such a positive feedback!

We are very pleased to read that you truly enjoyed your stay with us, and that you were extremely satisfied with the service provided by our Ambassadors.

We feel honored that you found our hotel the best you have visited until now and that you plan to come back in the future.

Once again, thank you for recommending the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea and Spa.

Warm regards,

Deputy Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Just back from a week's holiday in the Sofitel. My husband had phoned hotel directly to ensure we had enough space in room, for our two little boys (2yr & 4yr). But upon arrival receptionist advised it would be too small. We ended up having to upgrade to a larger suite 027 instead which usually run to 900 per night at a discounted rate. But still a lot more than we had planned on spending.
The hotel is geared up for adults but our children were made a fuss over everywhere we went as the staff were lovely. They are pretty well behaved and small but older and louder would have made me self conscious.
I agree with the other reviewers about the food. Excellent but too expensive. 19euro for sandwiches at the pool!! Its at the end of the promenade with not a whole lot nearby so you are a bit captive on that score
Pool are was gorgeous. Free mini bar a welcome touch.
Spa treatments were wonderful. Very good therapists. Lovely hairdressers. Small but nice gym

Room Tip: Our room 027 backed onto the pool area and was right beside spa & gym. Perfect
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Madame, Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa.

We are happy to read that you and your family enjoyed the Spa treatments, the quality of food, the pool facilities and the service provided by our team.

We hope to welcome you back to Agadir in the near futur, either in our property or in our sister hotel (Sofitel Royal Bay Resort) which is more "family oriented".

london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Food 5*
Pool 5*
Beach 5*
Staff 5* down to 2*
Room .small and very badly lit 3*
En suite 2*
Shower tiny space with leaking shower.Reported but ignored.
Pool restaurant ok but very overpriced. Only went once. If they were not so grasping would have had at the least 7 lunches and many drinks.
Very welcome bottle of wine and bits on arrival.
Mini bar packed with soft drinks and water,refilled each DAY ON THE HOUSE!!
Public rooms, . one bar, one large T V lounge. aAll very dead after dinner.
Have stayed with Sofitel twice in Marakesh that is a real 5* and also next door Sofitel Bay 5*
My booking was with that hotel but they closed for repairs and shunted us next door

Room Tip: Shower leaks in room 047. They ignore complaint A little French helps. I would say 85% of guests we...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Madame, Sir,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay on Tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to read that you were complitely satisfied with the quality of food and with our pool and beach facilities.

I am also glad to inform you that the necessary corrective actions on the showers are currently on progress, and appreciate very much your constructive feedback.

I hope you will give us an opportunity to show the improvement during your next trip to Agadir.

Douglas, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

The staff are very helpful, especially the pool attendants, namely yacine, pool supervisor. Boujemzz pool butler, very helpful and very attentive, nothing was too much trouble! Poolside food is overpriced at twenty for a burger and water.

Breakfast buffet is par excellance, huge choice of hot and cold dishes. Breakfast staff in need of more training, need to have more waiting staff that speak, or at least understand english. As my french is not at all good. The tea and coffee station must be a long way from the dining room, as it takes a while to be served, we thought they had gone to marrekesh for it.

We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a beautiful suite. Very luxuries, great views, excellent quality bedding and a extremely comfortable bed. Fresh bottled water on a daily basis, complementary, mini fridge also had coke, juices etc all gratis

Evening entertainment is a singer in the bar area, singer finishes by 11:30 with the bar closing shortly afterwards. Lacks ambiance/atmosphere gods waiting room!!

If you wish to dine out of the hotel we can recommend le quis at the marina, has great live music and excellent food at thirty pounds for an decent sized sole and half a bottle of good local wine called sahari reserve red or white, both very nice.

Petit red taxi always ask the cost before setting off, should cost 30 mad to marina from sofitel.

Spa is lovely, pricey but good for hair and nails. Seawater bath area is free to use when paying for a treatment.

All in all, great hotel, great staff, and as arnie would say " we'll be back"!!!!!!!
Thank you to eduardo for all his charming help and to mr white, the pool manager for being soooo good looking

Sue and christina
Ise of man

Room Tip: Not on the side of the closed sofitel, as building work is going on as a referb next door to the sof...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comment on Tripadvisor.

We are happy to read that you enjoyed the atmosphere of the hotel, the suites, the Thalassotherapy Institute as well as the service provided by our Ambassadors.

We hope to welcome you back soon to the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa.

Windsor
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This week away was my Christmas gift from my partner, he wanted to give me some time and space to relax in the sun.
Sofitel did exactly that, from the moment we arrived and was offered hot towels, pappeint tea to refresh, to our first time round the pool where Yasmin the pool supervisor came over and welcomed us, and his team just were perfect in everyway, we didn't need to lift a finger, they were so attentive to our every needs. The private area on the beach offered a comfortable beach experience with luxurious beds available, towels provided and an incredible sea view.
We had a standard room, but again beautiful decor, really chic and extravagant, a double shower with delicious smelling gels and creams provided every day.
We paid a supplement to have dinner in the a la carte restaurant on our last night and was delighted with the ambiance and the quality of the meal , the 9 hour slow cooked lamb melted in my mouth and the puddings were a work of art.
If there was any negative comments at all, I think that the service in the buffet restaurant was a little inconsistent , the manager was delightful but it could be slow and the waiters could be forgetful, but in the scheme of things it was minor really, the good was great quality there was plenty of variety for meat, fish or veggies, I had a really spectacular pizza one night, freshly prepared in front of me.
I would really recommend this hotel and we would go back again

• Stayed February 2013
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear Madame,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor and for choosing our hotel to escape from the cold European winter.

We were very pleased to read that you fully enjoyed your stay, from the check in to the pool butler service, from the quality of food to the comfort of the room.

On behalf of all of us, a special thank you for recommending our hotel.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea and Spa next year.

Kind regard,

Newquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Just returned from a week's stay at the Thalassa Sea and Spa on the occasion of my wife's birthday and would like to thank all at the hotel for a fabulous stay. The hotel and facilities are stunning and the staff are all friendly and helpful. Yes, we did have to wait for morning coffee on a couple of occasions but this was a minor niggle and more than offset by the luxury surroundings and kindness of the staff. On the day of my wife's birthday a special cake and gifts were brought to our room and she was thrilled. Because we had been relocated from the Royal we were upgraded to a luxury suite and this was absolutely stunning. I really think some of the few negative comments I have seen are quite churlish and wonder if some people are ever pleased. A special thanks to Cyril, the restaurant manager, the lovely breakfast baguette lady and omelette chef.

Room Tip: Southwest facing over pool or ocean view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor and for choosing our hotel to celebrate such a special occasion.

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed the comfort of our Prestige Suite, as well as the service of our Ambassadors.

A special thank you for recognizing the hard work of our food and beverage team, led by Cyril.

On behalf of all of us, I hope to welcome you back to the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa in the near future.

Kindest regards,

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We were a party of 4, being led by some Moroccan colleagues on a business tour of the area. I think they wanted to 'show off' the Sofitel, as it certainly has a stunning look from outside and some amazing fit-outs throughout.

However the over-riding memory I have from this hotel was poor service. It was below what one would expect in most 3* hotels and above, but unforgivable in a high-end Sofitel.

I waited about 40 minutes for my bag to be delivered to my room after check-in, then went and got it from the cart in the lobby, where we left it. I was a bit surprised when I was allowed to remove the bag from the cart without being asked for any ID etc. I note others have commented on bags not being delivered to their rooms in a timely fashion.

The nadir is at the restaurant. When 2 of us appeared at the Market restaurant to be seated for dinner, we were simply ignored. Why? I can't imagine. Eventually we intercepted one of the staff whizzing by and we were seated, and asked for some drinks. When they, or anyone else hadn't appeared in 10 minutes we again got up and asked someone. Fortunately it was a young lady who actaully seemed to do most of the work. The guys it appeared were just drones - good for clearing plates etc, but not capable of any order taking or delivery.

The buffet meal itself was OK.

Same the next morning for breakfast. Staff seemed amazed when I asked if we could be seated. The range offered was just OK. I have experienced much better breakfast buffets elsewhere.

The Spa is a feature of this hotel - yet when I called to book a treatment, 2 calls went unanswered and the third was dealt with rather briskly.

I also enquired at the front desk if a (paid) car could be organised for me for an hour tour of the city later in the morning. This seemed to cause consternation. About 3 people were consulted about this request whereupon one of the doormen got some keys and said he would drive me. I noted that I would like to book for later, and they then said "OK, come back later." The drive/tour itself was very good, but I don't see why such a request should apparently be taken as something out of the ordinary.

As some-one else mentioned, there is no desk in the rooms (or mine at least). I note the manager's reason was that they want people to toally relax. Fair enough, but nearly everyone uses phones than need charging, ipads etc. I had to charge my devices on the floor.

Great hotel, but staff are woefully under-trained, from the front desk onwards and especially in the Market restaurant. If service is impotant to you, you may wish to look elsewhere.

I note the manager reads these reviews and often makes comments, which is good. Sir, have you noticed so many comments about bad service, over months here?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your review on Tripadvisor.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Director of Operations

Been to Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa? Share your experiences!