“February sunshine break” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 80 Hotels in Agadir
Douglas, United Kingdom
“February sunshine break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

The staff are very helpful, especially the pool attendants, namely yacine, pool supervisor. Boujemzz pool butler, very helpful and very attentive, nothing was too much trouble! Poolside food is overpriced at twenty for a burger and water.

Breakfast buffet is par excellance, huge choice of hot and cold dishes. Breakfast staff in need of more training, need to have more waiting staff that speak, or at least understand english. As my french is not at all good. The tea and coffee station must be a long way from the dining room, as it takes a while to be served, we thought they had gone to marrekesh for it.

We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a beautiful suite. Very luxuries, great views, excellent quality bedding and a extremely comfortable bed. Fresh bottled water on a daily basis, complementary, mini fridge also had coke, juices etc all gratis

Evening entertainment is a singer in the bar area, singer finishes by 11:30 with the bar closing shortly afterwards. Lacks ambiance/atmosphere gods waiting room!!

If you wish to dine out of the hotel we can recommend le quis at the marina, has great live music and excellent food at thirty pounds for an decent sized sole and half a bottle of good local wine called sahari reserve red or white, both very nice.

Petit red taxi always ask the cost before setting off, should cost 30 mad to marina from sofitel.

Spa is lovely, pricey but good for hair and nails. Seawater bath area is free to use when paying for a treatment.

All in all, great hotel, great staff, and as arnie would say " we'll be back"!!!!!!!
Thank you to eduardo for all his charming help and to mr white, the pool manager for being soooo good looking

Sue and christina
Ise of man

Room Tip: Not on the side of the closed sofitel, as building work is going on as a referb next door to the sof...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comment on Tripadvisor.

We are happy to read that you enjoyed the atmosphere of the hotel, the suites, the Thalassotherapy Institute as well as the service provided by our Ambassadors.

We hope to welcome you back soon to the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa.

Kind regards,

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Polish first
Windsor
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This week away was my Christmas gift from my partner, he wanted to give me some time and space to relax in the sun.
Sofitel did exactly that, from the moment we arrived and was offered hot towels, pappeint tea to refresh, to our first time round the pool where Yasmin the pool supervisor came over and welcomed us, and his team just were perfect in everyway, we didn't need to lift a finger, they were so attentive to our every needs. The private area on the beach offered a comfortable beach experience with luxurious beds available, towels provided and an incredible sea view.
We had a standard room, but again beautiful decor, really chic and extravagant, a double shower with delicious smelling gels and creams provided every day.
We paid a supplement to have dinner in the a la carte restaurant on our last night and was delighted with the ambiance and the quality of the meal , the 9 hour slow cooked lamb melted in my mouth and the puddings were a work of art.
If there was any negative comments at all, I think that the service in the buffet restaurant was a little inconsistent , the manager was delightful but it could be slow and the waiters could be forgetful, but in the scheme of things it was minor really, the good was great quality there was plenty of variety for meat, fish or veggies, I had a really spectacular pizza one night, freshly prepared in front of me.
I would really recommend this hotel and we would go back again

• Stayed February 2013
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear Madame,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor and for choosing our hotel to escape from the cold European winter.

We were very pleased to read that you fully enjoyed your stay, from the check in to the pool butler service, from the quality of food to the comfort of the room.

On behalf of all of us, a special thank you for recommending our hotel.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea and Spa next year.

Kind regard,

Newquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Just returned from a week's stay at the Thalassa Sea and Spa on the occasion of my wife's birthday and would like to thank all at the hotel for a fabulous stay. The hotel and facilities are stunning and the staff are all friendly and helpful. Yes, we did have to wait for morning coffee on a couple of occasions but this was a minor niggle and more than offset by the luxury surroundings and kindness of the staff. On the day of my wife's birthday a special cake and gifts were brought to our room and she was thrilled. Because we had been relocated from the Royal we were upgraded to a luxury suite and this was absolutely stunning. I really think some of the few negative comments I have seen are quite churlish and wonder if some people are ever pleased. A special thanks to Cyril, the restaurant manager, the lovely breakfast baguette lady and omelette chef.

Room Tip: Southwest facing over pool or ocean view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor and for choosing our hotel to celebrate such a special occasion.

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed the comfort of our Prestige Suite, as well as the service of our Ambassadors.

A special thank you for recognizing the hard work of our food and beverage team, led by Cyril.

On behalf of all of us, I hope to welcome you back to the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa in the near future.

Kindest regards,

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We were a party of 4, being led by some Moroccan colleagues on a business tour of the area. I think they wanted to 'show off' the Sofitel, as it certainly has a stunning look from outside and some amazing fit-outs throughout.

However the over-riding memory I have from this hotel was poor service. It was below what one would expect in most 3* hotels and above, but unforgivable in a high-end Sofitel.

I waited about 40 minutes for my bag to be delivered to my room after check-in, then went and got it from the cart in the lobby, where we left it. I was a bit surprised when I was allowed to remove the bag from the cart without being asked for any ID etc. I note others have commented on bags not being delivered to their rooms in a timely fashion.

The nadir is at the restaurant. When 2 of us appeared at the Market restaurant to be seated for dinner, we were simply ignored. Why? I can't imagine. Eventually we intercepted one of the staff whizzing by and we were seated, and asked for some drinks. When they, or anyone else hadn't appeared in 10 minutes we again got up and asked someone. Fortunately it was a young lady who actaully seemed to do most of the work. The guys it appeared were just drones - good for clearing plates etc, but not capable of any order taking or delivery.

The buffet meal itself was OK.

Same the next morning for breakfast. Staff seemed amazed when I asked if we could be seated. The range offered was just OK. I have experienced much better breakfast buffets elsewhere.

The Spa is a feature of this hotel - yet when I called to book a treatment, 2 calls went unanswered and the third was dealt with rather briskly.

I also enquired at the front desk if a (paid) car could be organised for me for an hour tour of the city later in the morning. This seemed to cause consternation. About 3 people were consulted about this request whereupon one of the doormen got some keys and said he would drive me. I noted that I would like to book for later, and they then said "OK, come back later." The drive/tour itself was very good, but I don't see why such a request should apparently be taken as something out of the ordinary.

As some-one else mentioned, there is no desk in the rooms (or mine at least). I note the manager's reason was that they want people to toally relax. Fair enough, but nearly everyone uses phones than need charging, ipads etc. I had to charge my devices on the floor.

Great hotel, but staff are woefully under-trained, from the front desk onwards and especially in the Market restaurant. If service is impotant to you, you may wish to look elsewhere.

I note the manager reads these reviews and often makes comments, which is good. Sir, have you noticed so many comments about bad service, over months here?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your review on Tripadvisor.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I am currently staying at the Sofitel Thalassa, and i would recommand it to anyone looking for a restful break.
The hotel is new, and the staff very young and friendly.
Rooms are well kept and clean.We have a room on the second floor, and it is very comfortable.
I have tried the buffet restaurant and can say that anyone can find something tasteful to eat.
The Spa is beautiful, the gym well equipped and we really enjoy the heated swimming pool.
For sure we will come back to the Sofitel Thalassa if back to Agadir.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank your for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa.

We are very pleased to read your positive feedback and we will definetely share it with the team.

We wish you a wonderful end of your stay and a very safe journey.

Kindest regards,

teesdale u k
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

It is with reluctance that I have given a poor rating, but I feel that this hotel needs a loud wake-up call. In many respects it is very good, and many aspects of my recent week's stay here were excellent. The hotel itself is lovely, it has a great beach side location, rooms are very nice, and in the main the staff are lovely. The food in the Market restaurant is good, and the chefs who prepare it are charming and helpful.
However, and for me it is a huge however, the service in the restaurant at breakfast and dinner varied from good to non existent. We had similar poor experiences to other reviewers, plates not cleared, drinks not arriving, surly responses when problems were politely raised. After waiting for 20 minutes one morning I eventually had to get up and walk across to a waiter to ask for coffee and juice. When neither had arrived 10 minutes later, I found a supervisor who told me that they were having problems with the coffee machine; if this was the case, why didn't staff explain to all diners that there may be a delay? And in any event, this does not explain why no juice was offered. No apology was offered on this or indeed any other occasion when similar problems were raised, indeed I was met with a somewhat dismissive response.
At our final breakfast, we were sat at a table with no glasses, and no jams. Again, I had to seek out a waiter to place our coffee and juice order. This time, the coffee arrived fairly promptly, but no juice. Eventually I got up, walked to another table some distance away and retrieved two glasses and some jam, which I placed on our table. I then walked to a cupboard on which stood a jug of juice, filled our glasses, and returned to our table. This was in full view of several staff, not one of whom attempted to assist. Any restaurant worth it's salt in even a two star establishment would have been mortified to see this happen, but this is a five star, luxury hotel, with rates to match.
These are just two examples of the poor restaurant service which we encountered. The result was that meals became a tense affair, as we wondered whether we would get any service at all, and whether what had been ordered would be delivered, and when. Dining in a hotel like this should be a relaxing pleasure. Instead, it was attended by increasing degrees of low key anxiety as the week went on.
I spent some time with a front of house manager on our second morning, going through with her the problems we'd had with our first two meals. She listened very attentively, and made all the right noises including an apology. She acknowledged that the management was aware that it had problems in this area, and she explained the training measures that were in place to address them.
However, it seems to me that whatever is being done in this regard is not working. A read through the reviews on Tripadvisor shows that this problem has been there for months, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. This smacks of either complacency or incompetence. Given that both the breakfast and dinner service is mainly self-service, just how hard can it be to get this sorted?
I have had infinitely better service in much more lowly establishments, and can clearly say that I have never experienced worse service of its type than I did in this hotel's restaurant. This is such a shame, as there is a lovely holiday experience here waiting to get out.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Sir,

Many thanks for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.

I was extremely sad to read that the situations faced with the service in our restaurant marred the image of your stay in our hotel, and would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused.

On a positive note, I would like to thank you for recognizing the many good thing our hotel offered, and in particular the service provided by our Ambassadors.

We all look forward to welcoming you back and show you our improvements.

Kind regards,

Durham, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the hotel for a week on half board and found a lot to like. The public spaces were beautifully designed and well kept, although I agree with the reviewer who anticipates that there will be significant maintenance issues in the near future. Water features in abundance tend to generate maintenance challenges and the first signs of that are evident after less than a year, although at the moment they don't spoil the overall high quality of the experience. The pool and beach areas were also very appealing with a nice heated pool, plenty of space and good facilities.
The room was very well equipped with a comfortable bed, nice toiletries and a pleasant terrace area. The shower was lovely to look at but drainage was a problem with regular leakage onto the bathroom floor which gave every appearance of being a design problem where form had taken precedence over function.
The food was very good; high quality ingredients well cooked.
The problem, and it was a big problem was with the service, specifically the restaurant service. In other areas service was generally adequate or good. The poolside staff seemed competent, the housekeeping service was generally good and although we were offered someone else's case in addition to ours, check in and out ran smoothly. In the restaurant it was a very different story. The staff doing the cooking in the show kitchen were very good but the overall standard of the rest was shockingly bad. It was bad in absolute terms and even worse considering it is a five star hotel which should demonstrate excellent service across the board. Everything the staff could get wrong they got wrong. On the first evening we were more or less abandoned at a table with no explanation of how the buffet arrangements worked. We weren't offered drinks for some time and when we eventually had the opportunity to order some they didn't arrive. When we enquired after them we received a sulky response and were brought the wrong ones. When we finally got the right ones, one of the wine glasses was badly chipped with a sharp edge. The following morning we gave some feedback to the front of house manager who listened very patiently and courteously. She explained how it was supposed to work and apologised for the problems. That evening there was a definite improvement which suggested something had been said, however this was not sustained and for the rest of the holiday both morning and evening service was terrible. Dirty plates were allowed to pile up at virtually every meal and we had to resort to putting them on a chair on one occasion as there was nowhere left on the table to put the plates we were eating from. Drinks generally took an age to arrive or were forgotten about. Bread may or may not come and butter even less frequently. In the morning the wait for coffee could be interminable and any polite attempts to hurry things along met with a sullen response. This pattern was consistent regardless of how busy the restaurant was which strongly suggests management, supervision and training problems. What is impossible to understand is that given how many other guests have made similar comments the problems have not been effectively addressed. Getting the correct drinks, some bread on the table and the plates cleared are things that even the simplest Greek taverna can do. It is not rocket science and should not be beyond the scope of a five star hotel after nearly a year of operation. For the sake of completeness I should say that on our final evening we had exemplary table service from Brahim who simply did what none of the other staff seemed able to manage. He kept a close eye on his tables and discreetly made sure that the basics were attended to. He was also pleasant and friendly. Sadly he simply underlined how far short the rest of the service had fallen.
So all in all this hotel has a lot going for it but its restaurant service is letting the rest of the operation and the guests down.

• Stayed January 2013
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Madame, Sir,

Thank you for posting your constructive review on Trip Advisor, giving us your thoughts and feedback on the service and facilities at the hotel.

We are truly concerned to read your comments with regards to your experience at our restaurant and apologise for not having met your expectations on this occasion.

On a positive note, we are pleased to see that you enjoyed the quality of the room, the pool and the facilities of the hotel.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Director of Operations

Been to Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa? Share your experiences!