“yet more poor service” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 80 hotels in Agadir
Melbourne, Australia
“yet more poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We were a party of 4, being led by some Moroccan colleagues on a business tour of the area. I think they wanted to 'show off' the Sofitel, as it certainly has a stunning look from outside and some amazing fit-outs throughout.

However the over-riding memory I have from this hotel was poor service. It was below what one would expect in most 3* hotels and above, but unforgivable in a high-end Sofitel.

I waited about 40 minutes for my bag to be delivered to my room after check-in, then went and got it from the cart in the lobby, where we left it. I was a bit surprised when I was allowed to remove the bag from the cart without being asked for any ID etc. I note others have commented on bags not being delivered to their rooms in a timely fashion.

The nadir is at the restaurant. When 2 of us appeared at the Market restaurant to be seated for dinner, we were simply ignored. Why? I can't imagine. Eventually we intercepted one of the staff whizzing by and we were seated, and asked for some drinks. When they, or anyone else hadn't appeared in 10 minutes we again got up and asked someone. Fortunately it was a young lady who actaully seemed to do most of the work. The guys it appeared were just drones - good for clearing plates etc, but not capable of any order taking or delivery.

The buffet meal itself was OK.

Same the next morning for breakfast. Staff seemed amazed when I asked if we could be seated. The range offered was just OK. I have experienced much better breakfast buffets elsewhere.

The Spa is a feature of this hotel - yet when I called to book a treatment, 2 calls went unanswered and the third was dealt with rather briskly.

I also enquired at the front desk if a (paid) car could be organised for me for an hour tour of the city later in the morning. This seemed to cause consternation. About 3 people were consulted about this request whereupon one of the doormen got some keys and said he would drive me. I noted that I would like to book for later, and they then said "OK, come back later." The drive/tour itself was very good, but I don't see why such a request should apparently be taken as something out of the ordinary.

As some-one else mentioned, there is no desk in the rooms (or mine at least). I note the manager's reason was that they want people to toally relax. Fair enough, but nearly everyone uses phones than need charging, ipads etc. I had to charge my devices on the floor.

Great hotel, but staff are woefully under-trained, from the front desk onwards and especially in the Market restaurant. If service is impotant to you, you may wish to look elsewhere.

I note the manager reads these reviews and often makes comments, which is good. Sir, have you noticed so many comments about bad service, over months here?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sharing your review on Tripadvisor.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

534 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I am currently staying at the Sofitel Thalassa, and i would recommand it to anyone looking for a restful break.
The hotel is new, and the staff very young and friendly.
Rooms are well kept and clean.We have a room on the second floor, and it is very comfortable.
I have tried the buffet restaurant and can say that anyone can find something tasteful to eat.
The Spa is beautiful, the gym well equipped and we really enjoy the heated swimming pool.
For sure we will come back to the Sofitel Thalassa if back to Agadir.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank your for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa.

We are very pleased to read your positive feedback and we will definetely share it with the team.

We wish you a wonderful end of your stay and a very safe journey.

Kindest regards,

teesdale u k
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

It is with reluctance that I have given a poor rating, but I feel that this hotel needs a loud wake-up call. In many respects it is very good, and many aspects of my recent week's stay here were excellent. The hotel itself is lovely, it has a great beach side location, rooms are very nice, and in the main the staff are lovely. The food in the Market restaurant is good, and the chefs who prepare it are charming and helpful.
However, and for me it is a huge however, the service in the restaurant at breakfast and dinner varied from good to non existent. We had similar poor experiences to other reviewers, plates not cleared, drinks not arriving, surly responses when problems were politely raised. After waiting for 20 minutes one morning I eventually had to get up and walk across to a waiter to ask for coffee and juice. When neither had arrived 10 minutes later, I found a supervisor who told me that they were having problems with the coffee machine; if this was the case, why didn't staff explain to all diners that there may be a delay? And in any event, this does not explain why no juice was offered. No apology was offered on this or indeed any other occasion when similar problems were raised, indeed I was met with a somewhat dismissive response.
At our final breakfast, we were sat at a table with no glasses, and no jams. Again, I had to seek out a waiter to place our coffee and juice order. This time, the coffee arrived fairly promptly, but no juice. Eventually I got up, walked to another table some distance away and retrieved two glasses and some jam, which I placed on our table. I then walked to a cupboard on which stood a jug of juice, filled our glasses, and returned to our table. This was in full view of several staff, not one of whom attempted to assist. Any restaurant worth it's salt in even a two star establishment would have been mortified to see this happen, but this is a five star, luxury hotel, with rates to match.
These are just two examples of the poor restaurant service which we encountered. The result was that meals became a tense affair, as we wondered whether we would get any service at all, and whether what had been ordered would be delivered, and when. Dining in a hotel like this should be a relaxing pleasure. Instead, it was attended by increasing degrees of low key anxiety as the week went on.
I spent some time with a front of house manager on our second morning, going through with her the problems we'd had with our first two meals. She listened very attentively, and made all the right noises including an apology. She acknowledged that the management was aware that it had problems in this area, and she explained the training measures that were in place to address them.
However, it seems to me that whatever is being done in this regard is not working. A read through the reviews on Tripadvisor shows that this problem has been there for months, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. This smacks of either complacency or incompetence. Given that both the breakfast and dinner service is mainly self-service, just how hard can it be to get this sorted?
I have had infinitely better service in much more lowly establishments, and can clearly say that I have never experienced worse service of its type than I did in this hotel's restaurant. This is such a shame, as there is a lovely holiday experience here waiting to get out.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Sir,

Many thanks for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.

I was extremely sad to read that the situations faced with the service in our restaurant marred the image of your stay in our hotel, and would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused.

On a positive note, I would like to thank you for recognizing the many good thing our hotel offered, and in particular the service provided by our Ambassadors.

We all look forward to welcoming you back and show you our improvements.

Kind regards,

Durham, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the hotel for a week on half board and found a lot to like. The public spaces were beautifully designed and well kept, although I agree with the reviewer who anticipates that there will be significant maintenance issues in the near future. Water features in abundance tend to generate maintenance challenges and the first signs of that are evident after less than a year, although at the moment they don't spoil the overall high quality of the experience. The pool and beach areas were also very appealing with a nice heated pool, plenty of space and good facilities.
The room was very well equipped with a comfortable bed, nice toiletries and a pleasant terrace area. The shower was lovely to look at but drainage was a problem with regular leakage onto the bathroom floor which gave every appearance of being a design problem where form had taken precedence over function.
The food was very good; high quality ingredients well cooked.
The problem, and it was a big problem was with the service, specifically the restaurant service. In other areas service was generally adequate or good. The poolside staff seemed competent, the housekeeping service was generally good and although we were offered someone else's case in addition to ours, check in and out ran smoothly. In the restaurant it was a very different story. The staff doing the cooking in the show kitchen were very good but the overall standard of the rest was shockingly bad. It was bad in absolute terms and even worse considering it is a five star hotel which should demonstrate excellent service across the board. Everything the staff could get wrong they got wrong. On the first evening we were more or less abandoned at a table with no explanation of how the buffet arrangements worked. We weren't offered drinks for some time and when we eventually had the opportunity to order some they didn't arrive. When we enquired after them we received a sulky response and were brought the wrong ones. When we finally got the right ones, one of the wine glasses was badly chipped with a sharp edge. The following morning we gave some feedback to the front of house manager who listened very patiently and courteously. She explained how it was supposed to work and apologised for the problems. That evening there was a definite improvement which suggested something had been said, however this was not sustained and for the rest of the holiday both morning and evening service was terrible. Dirty plates were allowed to pile up at virtually every meal and we had to resort to putting them on a chair on one occasion as there was nowhere left on the table to put the plates we were eating from. Drinks generally took an age to arrive or were forgotten about. Bread may or may not come and butter even less frequently. In the morning the wait for coffee could be interminable and any polite attempts to hurry things along met with a sullen response. This pattern was consistent regardless of how busy the restaurant was which strongly suggests management, supervision and training problems. What is impossible to understand is that given how many other guests have made similar comments the problems have not been effectively addressed. Getting the correct drinks, some bread on the table and the plates cleared are things that even the simplest Greek taverna can do. It is not rocket science and should not be beyond the scope of a five star hotel after nearly a year of operation. For the sake of completeness I should say that on our final evening we had exemplary table service from Brahim who simply did what none of the other staff seemed able to manage. He kept a close eye on his tables and discreetly made sure that the basics were attended to. He was also pleasant and friendly. Sadly he simply underlined how far short the rest of the service had fallen.
So all in all this hotel has a lot going for it but its restaurant service is letting the rest of the operation and the guests down.

• Stayed January 2013
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Madame, Sir,

Thank you for posting your constructive review on Trip Advisor, giving us your thoughts and feedback on the service and facilities at the hotel.

We are truly concerned to read your comments with regards to your experience at our restaurant and apologise for not having met your expectations on this occasion.

On a positive note, we are pleased to see that you enjoyed the quality of the room, the pool and the facilities of the hotel.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I checked out of The Sofitel Agadir Thalassa this morning for Riad Villa Blanche (see separate review). I initially booked for three nights at the Sofitel through Prestiga (disappointed with quality of their service and won't be using their services again) but modified my stay to a night. My check in process was not as described by other reviews, I was not offered tea nor sweet treats but I am sure I would get over it! In the course of the check in process I found that my daily room rate had been hiked up to reflect the changes to my booking and this was communicated to me whilst checking in and five hours later via email from Prestiga (I was not impressed).

My bag arrived in the room about an hour after my check in process was completed and this was triggered by a prompting from me. I requested for a carrier bag after an hour of waiting I contacted the Guest Service who directed me to the front desk for further assistance. They were prompt to act on my request.

The room was nice, the flooring had residual dirt from cleaning, the view from the room was brilliant - pool side and sea view. There was a free mini bar in the room and the toiletries were lovely. I was in room 207 and the wall in the room had water stain permeating through the walls from the bathroom.

The ambience and decor of the internal/external hotel were superb. The bed was comfortable.

Despite having a do not disturb sign I was disturbed three times during the course of he day.

The check out process was poor when I challenged my final bill I was made to wait for 20 mins to get my final bill before checking out. I was definitely unimpressed.

For business travelers this is not an ideal hotel, it more a resort for pleasure not work.

Overall I found the hotel impersonal and thoroughly lack the personal touch. However, if you intention is to be left alone to relax you can achieve this here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with pool side and sea view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Madame, Sir,

Thank you for sharing your review of the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa on Tripadvisor.

I was sad not to be able to meet you before your departure, however , I would gladly welcome the opportunity to reverse the image you have of our resort if you would allow me.

On a positive note, I was happy to read that you enjoyed the view from our room.

Yours sincerely,

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This hotel is about a 30 minute walk to Agadir town centre. Very much a peaceful and relaxing holiday location with a very large pool area and private beach.
The service was 99% of the time outstanding, and, if any comment was made the staff would resolve any issue in a prompt and efficient manner and this would exceed our expectations.
The quality and cleanliness of the room was very high and we slept very well, I understand that our fellow travellers had wine and chocolates in their room maybe that was an oversight for us.
The food was always very good and a varied choice was readily available add this to the attentive waiters at either the restaurant or pool bar and you have a great experience.
The staff in the bar and the resident entertainment are in keeping with a mellow and relaxing resort.
There are many activities that can be arranged if relaxing by the pool is not your thing, however a point to note is that the holiday rep did not take card payment and there is not an ATM on site, so a tip might be to stop at the airport as you arrive and obtain cash.
I believe that if you allow the staff to welcome you into the Sofitel “family” at this resort you will have a truly great holiday.

Dear Madame, Sir,

A warm thank you for sharing on Tripadvisor your experience at the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa .

I was extremely pleased to read that you fully enjoyed your stay with us, and that you recommend our hotel for its service, comfort of rooms and cleanliness.

On behalf of all of us, I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kindest regards,
martock
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

the rooms in this hotel were superb we stayed in a deluxe room and it was wonderful. the problem was the service which ranged from 5*+ to 2 star. The pool, beach and security were always looking to help, were polite and 5*. housekeeping did not do the night service on 2 occasions, also a cigarette butt from a previous occupant (we are non smokers) remained for 4 days! The Market restaurant was also a lucky dip for service, plates could remain uncollected for the whole meal, with surly comments if staff were asked to clear them, other times they were collected promptly with a smile. This was not down to how busy the restaurant was as it was never busy when we were there. The food in the market was always good and well cooked. The hostess who showed us to the table one day offered a table inaccessible due to a child's buggy , when we refused this she denied there was another table for 2 despite there being several,until we refused to take it several times. I feel the management could do with a "mystery shopper " to show them where middle-management,or staff need further training

Room Tip: there is entertainment in the bar overlooking the pool until 1 am
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa.

I was sad to read that you noticed some lack of consistency in our service, which is obviously not the image I wish you retained of your recent experience with us.
Although we regularly have mystery shopping in our hotel, feedback like yours help us in keep monitoring our services and products.

On a positive side, I was glad to read that you found our room wonderful.

Once again, I appreciate you sharing your concerns and hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Director of Operations

Been to Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa? Share your experiences!