“Average stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 80 hotels in Agadir
London, United Kingdom
“Average stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I checked out of The Sofitel Agadir Thalassa this morning for Riad Villa Blanche (see separate review). I initially booked for three nights at the Sofitel through Prestiga (disappointed with quality of their service and won't be using their services again) but modified my stay to a night. My check in process was not as described by other reviews, I was not offered tea nor sweet treats but I am sure I would get over it! In the course of the check in process I found that my daily room rate had been hiked up to reflect the changes to my booking and this was communicated to me whilst checking in and five hours later via email from Prestiga (I was not impressed).

My bag arrived in the room about an hour after my check in process was completed and this was triggered by a prompting from me. I requested for a carrier bag after an hour of waiting I contacted the Guest Service who directed me to the front desk for further assistance. They were prompt to act on my request.

The room was nice, the flooring had residual dirt from cleaning, the view from the room was brilliant - pool side and sea view. There was a free mini bar in the room and the toiletries were lovely. I was in room 207 and the wall in the room had water stain permeating through the walls from the bathroom.

The ambience and decor of the internal/external hotel were superb. The bed was comfortable.

Despite having a do not disturb sign I was disturbed three times during the course of he day.

The check out process was poor when I challenged my final bill I was made to wait for 20 mins to get my final bill before checking out. I was definitely unimpressed.

For business travelers this is not an ideal hotel, it more a resort for pleasure not work.

Overall I found the hotel impersonal and thoroughly lack the personal touch. However, if you intention is to be left alone to relax you can achieve this here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with pool side and sea view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Madame, Sir,

Thank you for sharing your review of the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa on Tripadvisor.

I was sad not to be able to meet you before your departure, however , I would gladly welcome the opportunity to reverse the image you have of our resort if you would allow me.

On a positive note, I was happy to read that you enjoyed the view from our room.

Yours sincerely,

538 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Polish first
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This hotel is about a 30 minute walk to Agadir town centre. Very much a peaceful and relaxing holiday location with a very large pool area and private beach.
The service was 99% of the time outstanding, and, if any comment was made the staff would resolve any issue in a prompt and efficient manner and this would exceed our expectations.
The quality and cleanliness of the room was very high and we slept very well, I understand that our fellow travellers had wine and chocolates in their room maybe that was an oversight for us.
The food was always very good and a varied choice was readily available add this to the attentive waiters at either the restaurant or pool bar and you have a great experience.
The staff in the bar and the resident entertainment are in keeping with a mellow and relaxing resort.
There are many activities that can be arranged if relaxing by the pool is not your thing, however a point to note is that the holiday rep did not take card payment and there is not an ATM on site, so a tip might be to stop at the airport as you arrive and obtain cash.
I believe that if you allow the staff to welcome you into the Sofitel “family” at this resort you will have a truly great holiday.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Madame, Sir,

A warm thank you for sharing on Tripadvisor your experience at the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa .

I was extremely pleased to read that you fully enjoyed your stay with us, and that you recommend our hotel for its service, comfort of rooms and cleanliness.

On behalf of all of us, I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kindest regards,
martock
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

the rooms in this hotel were superb we stayed in a deluxe room and it was wonderful. the problem was the service which ranged from 5*+ to 2 star. The pool, beach and security were always looking to help, were polite and 5*. housekeeping did not do the night service on 2 occasions, also a cigarette butt from a previous occupant (we are non smokers) remained for 4 days! The Market restaurant was also a lucky dip for service, plates could remain uncollected for the whole meal, with surly comments if staff were asked to clear them, other times they were collected promptly with a smile. This was not down to how busy the restaurant was as it was never busy when we were there. The food in the market was always good and well cooked. The hostess who showed us to the table one day offered a table inaccessible due to a child's buggy , when we refused this she denied there was another table for 2 despite there being several,until we refused to take it several times. I feel the management could do with a "mystery shopper " to show them where middle-management,or staff need further training

Room Tip: there is entertainment in the bar overlooking the pool until 1 am
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa.

I was sad to read that you noticed some lack of consistency in our service, which is obviously not the image I wish you retained of your recent experience with us.
Although we regularly have mystery shopping in our hotel, feedback like yours help us in keep monitoring our services and products.

On a positive side, I was glad to read that you found our room wonderful.

Once again, I appreciate you sharing your concerns and hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This is a new property (opened in 2012). It has been designed to be a resort hotel, with heavy emphasis on the spa that is attached to the hotel.

It is a very attractive property, with elegant design, but it is not really suitable for business travelers. Rooms do not have proper desks in them, and the chairs and settees that are provided in the rooms are not suitable for use at a desk (i.e. while using a computer). The architect put the emphasis on appearance, not practicality - all the chairs and settees have bases that are only about 18 inches off the ground, which is very 'Moroccan' looking, but totally useless for doing desk work. If you didn't need a lower back massage when you arrived, you sure as heck will need one after squatting on one of these low stools for a couple of hours trying to get computer work done.

Breakfast was excellent - very good food, lots of variety - but the breakfast room needs to have a Maître d'Hôtel present to ensure that the staff pay attention to the guests. I arrived in the breakfast room an hour after opening, and all the wait staff and chefs were fully focused on setting up tables and preparing their Mise-en-place. It was necessary to get up and go search for a waiter to get a coffee, and stick my head into the kitchen and call out for a chef to prepare some eggs. This is inexcusable, adult supervision of the breakfast room is essential.

The bed in the room was heavenly, and the entire property was immaculately clean.

All in all - a terrific place to go if you want a holiday, but not the best choice in town for the business traveler.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing into the central courtyard. Rooms facing out suffer from noise from the neigh...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing on Tripadvisor your experience at the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa .

We were pleased to read that you found our hotel elegant and that you particularly enjoyed the comfort of our MyBed.

With regards to the lack of a desk in the bedrooms, you are absolutely right : we encourage our guests to "unplug" from the daily stress and enjoy long walks on the beach, complimentary yoga sessions, treatments at our Thalassotherapy Institute, etc...
Relaxation and well-being should take over work and stress during a stay at our property.

We hope to see you back soon.

Best regards ,

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Sofitel. I have to say the employee service was outstanding, with nothing being too much trouble. While it's a little way away from the main part of Agadir, it's a very pleasant walk down the beach promenade or short petit taxi ride away. Food is fresh and beautifully presented. Rooms and the broader hotel are kept to a very high standard. Initially we had been placed in a room which overlooked the Sofitel next door, which was undergoing renovation, which was very noisy in the early in the morning. When we asked to move rooms, this was done quickly and without fuss. The only minor frustration (& it is minor) we had, was the long check in time. It can take about 10 - 15 mins while they serve Moroccan tea, local sweet treats and complete the necessary paperwork. While hospitable and welcoming, we just wanted to get to the room and sort ourselves out. Overall we had an outstanding week long break at this hotel. Outside of this minor issue, we couldn't have been happier with the service, experience and beauty of this place. We'd highly recommend this hotel to others looking for a little luxury and would definitely stay here again. A truly beautiful location with genuinely lovely staff.

Room Tip: When there is no remodeling work being done next door, there are no bad rooms. Overlooking the ocean...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Sofitel Thalassa Sea & Spa during your recent stay in Agadir, and for taking the time to share such a positive comment on Tripadvisor.

We are happy to hear that you fully enjoyed your stay with us and would like to thank you for your positive review.

Our team is working hard every day to make our guest feels happy and your satisfaction is the best reward they could receive.

We hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you again soon at the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa.

Kind regards,

galway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Many thanks to all the staff at the Sofitel, especially Mouna, Edoardo and the concierge. We had a wonderful holiday and would go back in the morning if possible. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and we were upgraded to an ocean view room upon request!!!!
Agadir and the hotel surpassed all expectations.

Dear Madame, Sir,

We are happy to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at our hotel.

We will share your kind feedback with all our ambassadors. It will serve as an encouragement to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Once again, thank you for kind review, and we look forward to welcoming you soon at the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa.

Kind regards,

Herefordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Heaven and we shall visit again. Food excellent service excellent. Easy to get into town by petit taxi just 20 dirhams, you need to use this as it can be a long walk and there is little around the hotel. We did have to move rooms as we were next to Royal Bay which they are refurbishing and the noise was awful but we were soon moved to a lovely room, balcony and king size bed. Be warned the beds are so heavenly you won't want to get up!!! Small irritations room not always made up early enough, missed turn downs, shower leaked very badly, not always had flannel etc but this was minor. Robes and slippers lovely and ideal for using round pool. Excellent to be able to lie around pool and not hear any noise but the ocean. Staff utterly delightful and so friendly. Excellent hotel for escaping from the world, can't wait to come back later in year. A word of warning, if your room is not ready, as ours wasn't, lunch in the Atlantique is expensive, very nice but 800 dirham for two beers and two salads. We would recommend Hotel and loved the peace and serenity.

Room Tip: Ask to go to left of hotel numbers 200 up not right of main entrance where work is going on at adjac...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Madame,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

I was extremely pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you were particularly satisfied with the quality of the food and the service provided by our team members.

I would also like to personally thank you for your constructive feedback, which help us to monitor and improve our standards.

On behalf of all of us, I look forward to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa.

Best regards,

Director of Operations

Been to Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa? Share your experiences!