“A perfect Moroccan holiday” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
save up to 35%
Ranked #7 of 80 hotels in Agadir
Andover, Hampshire
“A perfect Moroccan holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

My wife and I have had the pleasure of staying 10 days at the Sofitel Thallasso Spa in Agadir. We already had high hopes from reading earlier reports on Trip Advisor and we were not disappointed.

The hotel was opened earlier in 2012 and the buildings and fittings remain in a pristine condition. The hotel and grounds were superb but what really made this holiday special was the staff. From the reception staff onward, everyone was there to help you and couldn’t do enough for you. If for some reason they were unable to assist directly, they immediately went to get another member who could. They all were genuinely proud of their hotel and were truly ambassadors for it. The pool butlers worked non-stop throughout the heat of the day to assist everyone at the pool side. In particular, young Abdulhadir was always available to assist and with his perfect self-taught English. Management staff was always in evidence, not just observing but assisting and guiding where things needed to be done. They all checked with guests to ensure that there stay was perfect.

We used the buffet of most evenings as the variety and quality of the food was so good, we felt it unnecessary to go elsewhere. A special mention must be made of the patisserie which would have graced any London or Parisian shop! Light snacks and fresh fruit plates were available at the poolside. L’Atlantique restaurant served predominately fish dishes at lunchtime and we enjoyed the fish of the day platter on the occasion we tried it. Adjacent to the buffet is the a la carte restaurant, which always seemed under-filled. We ate there as a special celebration evening and were not disappointed. The Moroccan slow cooked lamb was amazing as were the pineapple in ravioli parcels, light and delicate. The cost was slightly more than the buffet but no unreasonable.

We used the Thallsasso Spa for a Hamman massage with black mud –quite an experience and we came away very refreshed. However, this should not be undertaken if you have any evidence of sunburn!

Suffice it say, we are looking forward to returning to this hotel next year, and this time we will bring friends with us! Thank you to all the staff of the hotel who made our holiday so good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sofitel_12, Directeur général at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa.

I was very pleased to read from your detailed review that you truly enjoyed your stay with us and that you already became an "Ambassador" of our hotel.

On behalf of the entire team, I look forward to welcoming you back in 2013.

Kindest regards,

534 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Polish first
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

The Sofitel Sea&Spa just opened this year in march. We spent one week there with my wife to have some relaxing time: Spa and thalassotherapy for her, swimming pool for myself (no kid). We also had planed to work a little bit. Note that we barely got out of the hotel, our intentions were not to discover Agadir... expect for the beach but only to rest a little in a friendly environment. From this point of view, it was perfect (if you want to discover "true" Morocco, or to go clubing, or to have your days organized by a friendly team of entertainers... move on).

The staff, the food, the design of the rooms were all up to our expectations... it was really near perfection. On the downside, standard rooms could have been a little larger, the configuration of the rooms are some kind of weird (because of the "open" bathroom), the lights are not so easy to manage. What bothered us the most was the absence of desk (even small). The LAN connection was at the head of the bed... I imagine that the concept is to browser with your laptop on your knees. We asked if it could be possible to put a desk in your room. It wasn't... but, the hotel being not full, they upgrade us for a suite !!! Much larger (with a small table on which it was possible to work)... It gave us the opportunity to compare suite versus standard room. What have the Suites (and not the rooms): much larger, little table to work on, bathtub, double bowls (versus single), nespresso coffee machine, Bose sound system, DVD/CD player, large AND medium flat TV screens (versus one medium on… well we don't watch tv anyway).

Concerning the food: There is 3 restaurants, one for the breakfast (really perfect) and buffet diner (very good); one for the lunch (near the pool; quite good, but mostly for fish... I tried the burger, could have been better... fresh fries not bad though); and finally one gastronomic for diner (never tried, it was almost always empty).

Concerning the pool: I really liked it, it is quite large (I think that it is something like 40 meters long). Not too much kids. So it was really possible to swim (something like 2km without being stopped or bothered every day). It was a little bit salted with a very low concentration of chlorine. Very clean.

Concerning the spa and hammam, some massages were good other less good but still ok (according to my wife). Manicure was approximative.

In conclusion, I greatly recommend this hotel if you want to relax and to be cocooned. We will probably go back there in the future. I hope it will age well.

PS: This new Sofitel adjoins another Sofitel much more family friendly (with animations every day and so on).
PSS: We are french, so sorry for the english mistakes (but it should still be better than an automatic translation). All members of staff speak correct french. They are probably less fluent in english.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Dear Madame, Sir,

We very much appreciate your detailes review of your recent stay at the new Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa.

We are pleased to read that you enjoyed the service provided by our team as well as the facilities of our resort, and will share your comments with our Ambassadors.

On behalf of the entire team, I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

The newest Sofitel in Agadir is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at. The black and white decoration is sober and elegant.
Service is very friendly and efficient.
You will love the swimming pool and the ocean is 10 meters away!
I'll definitely recommend this hotel in Agadir.

• Stayed August 2012
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the new Sofitel Agadir Thalassa sea & spa.

On behalf of the team, I would like to thank you for your kind comments. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed both the facilities and the service provided by our Ambassadors.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Agadir in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

A beautiful hotel with impeccable service. Worth the trip if you are looking for r&r. The pool and spa are wonderful, as is the staff. The beach is large and not crowded. the food is good, though best to order the options that are cooked on the spot for you.

Room Tip: Agadir is not a great place. There is little to do, and it is not attractive. However, if you are lo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor about your recent stay at the Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found the service provided by our Ambassadors of a high quality.

On behalf of all of us, I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Deputy Manager
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

My wife and I visited in June 2012 - upgraded from the older Sofitel next door. Decor - great, quite interesting motif which reminded me of the movie Prometheus in the reception area. Rooms spacious and well appointed - small issue is that the drainage for the showers is badly designed so you end up flooding your bathroom every time you take a shower - form over function alas. But the staff were the most wonderful group of people, very attentive, friendly, hardworking, a pleasure to be served by them and talk to them about their country. Food - excellent. We even had a free cooking class with the head chef who taught us how to make pastilla. Nice spot - one drawback is the sea is a bit choppy here, but with the facilities of this hotel you may not mind. Forgot to mention in my survey back to the hotel the wonderful Audrey, who was a very pleasant young French woman who advises on things to do and see in the immediate area. We combined with a side trip to Essaouirah. Marrakesh is also an option - not much to see in Agadir. WONDERFUL HOTEL

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Sofitel_12, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Madame, Sir,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel AgadirThalassa Sea & Spa.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

We are glad to inform you that the necessary corrective actions on the showers have already been taken, and appreciate very much your constructive feedback.

On a positive note, we are delighted to read that you truly enjoyed your stay with us.

England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My wife and I were booked into the "old" Sofitel next door but were very disappointed with the first room offered, which was very tired and smelt of drains. Whilst waiting for them to prepare a replacement room we had a look around the "new" Sofitel Thalassa next door and what a difference! The standard room offered was immaculate and the management offered us a transfer at a not insignificant supplement. Having viewed the replacement room in the "old" Sofitel we decided to accept the supplement and move into the Thalassa.
This was the correct descion for us, as from the outset the staff made us feel very special and the ambience of the hotel was very relaxing, and exuded 5* quality. The pool area was excellent but in particular the standard of food and service in the restaurant was the best I've ever experienced in a hotel and more like a Mitechelin starred restaurant. The staff throught the hotel were great and couldn't do enough for us. As a new hotel there were a couple of minor irritations,one being the repetative lift music and another having to keep asking for butter, salt and pepper on the dining tables but if you are looking for a peaceful and relaxing hotel in Agadir then I can highly recommend it.

Room Tip: The higher rooms have a better view of the sea.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

I will share your comments with our team.
I am sure that this feedback will serve as an additional encouragement to our Ambassadors as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

I would also like to thank you for your constructive feedback : please rest assured that we will take the appropriate measures to address the areas of improvement you kindly mentioned and prevent future occurrence.

We hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Visited for 4 nights in June sharing with a female friend. Was upgraded from the 'old' Sofitel next door as it was full which seemed to be everyone else's experience also. I'm not complaining, this hotel is beautiful, kind of 'grand zen chic', minimalist yet opulent at the same time if that's not too much of a contradiction in terms. Our room which was twin (although might as well be a double as the beds are literally right up together with no gap whatsoever). So you really need to know you're room-mate very well indeed. The shower has see through glass through to the bedroom area so there is no privacy whatsoever. We had a lovely little patio and a small patch of garden overlooking the pool areas and onwards towards the sea which was gorgeous. (although our loungers were removed one day and never came back) The pools are fantastic and the loungers/four poster sun beds are a brilliant touch. Everything(and I mean everything) was immaculate. And all staff (and I mean all) staff were very polite, smiley and friendly. This hotel has only been open a few months, so there are a few kinks to iron out. If I'm going to be ultra fussy there were a couple of slight niggles: 1)shower design faulty flooded significantly every day during use. 2) Tea at breakfast seems to be confusing for staff. Struggled to get tea bag, hot water and milk on the table at the same time, a Brit preference I'm sure. 3) Blocking of loungers AND the curtained four poster sun beds at the pool by some who would put an item of clothing on them before breakfast and then not even use them until late in the afternoon. This became hugely annoying and there needs to be an explicit policy that does not allow this to happen. You often came down to find two sunloungers AND one four poster bed blocked by what might turn out to be just one couple for instance. We often had nowhere. The 'back row' of beds are hard to get the attention of staff for food and drinks. 4)Service by pool very mixed. Friendly and polite always but not often efficient never got a front lounger, it does seem to be better if you do. 5) When you take your towel to the poolside (so that you can use it as you get out of the pool), it is efficiently removed and not returned, this is frustrating. 6)Food (dinner) was very very bland and repetitive (and I'm assuming healthy), nothing to call it Moroccan which was a little disappointing. As a vegetarian I was fully underwhelmed. It was all lovely to look at, clean and fresh and served very politely but just didn't taste of anything. Desserts though were very lovely. These small things I mention only as it is a new hotel so it can target these areas for improvement if it wishes-I still give it 5 stars because really it was overall super. Agadir itself was uninspiring as it is new, so buildings are new (the' old' mosque was built in 1988!). An earthquake before I was born, basically took all its 'interest' away. A few blocks up from the beach is just a massive building site(albeit of very elite and expensive properties). Although not much activity going on when we 'got lost' trying to find the souk. The promenade is wide and pristine but be warned the walk to restaurants and clubs is not the 15 minutes the rep tells you, 35 minutes plus for sure, but it's warm so who cares. Agadir is very very clean and felt safe as two women alone. The sun comes out at around midday as the morning cloud evaporates, making mornings an excellent time to do whatever activities you are interested in (be prepared to spend your afternoon without a sunlounger back at the hotel though). The cocktail bar is gorgeous with lush cocktails. We went every evening after dinner, it was just a shame we were the only ones present the whole time we were there so it lacked a little social ambience.We only ever stayed for one drink because of this but could easily have been persuaded to stay well into the small hours spending cocktail money, if we had not been alone. We did not use the absolutely beautiful 'a la carte' restaurant' just for one reason there was never anybody in it and it is so opulent we would have felt awkward being the only ones. Such a shame because we really wanted to. Sadly we did not find the energy to use the spa facilities(we didn't really realise about it until it was too late) but I heard from others on the transfer back to the airport that it is 'utterly stunning'. If I was to return to Agadir I would without hesitation pick this hotel to stay in as it has a classy discreet ambience to it. Overall this is a lovely hotel indeed and of every hotel we passed, looked in on, or compared ours to, this one comes out on top. Nothing compares to it. If you are lucky enough to be upgraded to this hotel : Smile! you just got a lucky break.

Room Tip: Tip: the garden rooms overlooking the pool area are better than balcony rooms, you have a patio AND...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Manager at Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Dear Madame,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us at the new Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa.

We are delighted to know that you had enjoyed your 4 nights stay with us and were pleased with the facilities offered in and around hotel.

I have taken note of your comments with regard to the restaurant and the pool area, and I would like to assure you that your valuable feedback has been positively taken on board and shared with the concerned managers to ensure that necessary action are taken to rectify any shortfalls in our standards.

Thank you for recommending us on Trip Advisor and we look forward in welcoming you back.

Kind regards,

Director of Operations

Been to Sofitel Agadir Thalassa Sea & Spa? Share your experiences!