“Wear sensible shoes!” 4 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$76*
and up
Three Valleys Day Trip from Marrakech with...
Ranked #152 of 394 Attractions in Morocco
Type: Neighborhoods, Valleys, Flea/ Street Markets, Outdoors
Birmingham, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
“Wear sensible shoes!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I was expecting to see the Ouzoud Falls but ended up in Ourika Valley due to a mix up with the arrangements so was not appropriately dressed. The large taxi we booked charged 500 dirhams for a tour from Riu Tikida Gardens hotel; we stopped at the pottery place (overpriced), the Argan oil house (overpriced), Ourika Valley and Koutoubia Mosque on the way back. We opted to miss out on the Berber house on the way back. It took nearly 2 hours to reach there and when you arrive you will see the local women washing their clothes in the river.

Your taxi driver usually drops you off at a parking place and then you have to walk to the falls yourself. We crossed a small, wooden bridge then carried on towards the left upwards. We opted not to pay the persistent guide who was difficult to get rid of despite his claims we were going the wrong way (I know they have to earn a living somehow). I asked a French speaking woman on her descent who confirmed we were going to the right way. There are plenty of other groups you can follow up if you get lost.

The climb to the highest waterfall is not easy and the path is dangerous but if you're going to do it you might as well go right to the top. I am glad the unfit members of our group and the children quit quite early on as they would have struggled but three of us more ‘active’ individuals made it to the top. It took us 1 hour to reach the top and for a novice there are lots of tricky parts as it gets slippery. It was my first ever climb but I enjoyed it even though my feet were wet.

When you reach the top you can get yourself some mint tea and sit on the chairs. I find it amazing how the Moroccan people have created shops in the middle of nowhere and dragged furniture up there. It is not exactly the Niagara Falls when you finally arrive but it is more the journey to the top that is the accomplishment. A closing comment from one of my companions was "this path need not be dangerous, if the workers even built one step a day, they would soon have a safe route to the top..."

Before we left Ourika Valley, we stopped at Restaurant Imlil for a delicious meal which cost about 260Dh (we were too tired to haggle). I only managed to reach the top in gladiator sandals because I had two men helping me so wear sensible shoes and enjoy if you decide to go.

• Turkish first
Gryon, Switzerland
“Depressing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

This is a really disappointing place. I'm sure there are beautiful parts to this valley but the waterfall we were taken to (late in the day after being paraded around various shops and tourists traps for most of it!) has been really spoilt. Cafés and tacky shops cover every inch of the river banks (and some even in the middle of the river too!) as well as the trail leading up to the waterfall. There is litter everywhere and graffiti on the surrounding rock walls. It's a real shame and really depressed me. I realise that morocco isn't a wealthy country and maybe they haven't the resources to invest much in the environment but marrakech and the surrounding area has been a tourist destination for a long time and they make money out of their natural environment. It's disappointing that they just seem to exploit it without any respect or care for it.

Visited December 2013
essex
“Wear the right shoes !!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

A great day (we negotiated down to 250 DH each- £17ish) bit foggy and damp at first but ended up beautiful. Berber village was quaint ,Argon oil huts was interesting .However before the walk to the summit (ish!) we was pushed into a terrace top restaurant for lunch , where we paid for a tajine and coke (about 90 DH) HOWEVER THE WAITER TRIED TO PLAY DUMB when it came to giving us and our German neighbour our change....left a sour taste!!!...We then started the climb with some of the ladies dressed for a day at the races ,or in flip flops !! The climb IS DANGEROUS ,however exciting ...WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IF YOU ARE UNFIT,or in flip flops !... Got to the bar by the waterfall and had a coke or mint tea !!The Guide was good the views fantastic....this was the highlight of our Marrakech trip .MAKE SURE YOU HAVE LOTS OF DIRHAM COINS to give to the Berber's kids as thank you for letting into their village .!!

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
“worth the climb !!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Warning be prepared wear suitable shoes as the climb can be slippery. We had a lovely guide who held my hand most of the time. Beautiful views the downside being having a mint tea for 2 and charged 60 DH. When quiried was told the charge included sitting at their dirty plastic table to enjoy the view !!!

Paris, France
4 attraction reviews
“Beautiful place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This valley is very charming and easy to climb to see the 5 cascads (out of 7). It's better to be equipped with appropriate shoes though.
Ask your driver to stop on the way and you will discover berber villages, traditional argan exploitation and... tourists-oriented camel riding (a few minutes for 50 DH :-)).
You definitely need a guide (we paid 150DH).