“Expected more; however, it remains a cut above most” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 114 Restaurants in Ankeny
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Malvern, Pennsylvania
“Expected more; however, it remains a cut above most”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

Nice small town setting; very comfortable interior atmosphere; warm lighting. Great for many occasions. Pasta dishes seem to be the specialty. Other "normal" entrees you would see in most restaurants. Food quality was good and presentation ok, but nothing over the top or extraordinary. That said, I still would go to Ranallo's for it's relaxing atmosphere and decent food.

Visited October 2011

Des Moines, Iowa
“Unreliable reservation system”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

Restaurant relies on answering machine to take reservations and on two occassions I have had to call back to confirm. On neither occassion did the restaurant call me back to confirm reservation requests. On the last instance, I called the restaurant around noon or so on Saturday and at 530pm I called back as I had not been called. Was given the weak excuse that they had tried to call me several times but that they must have written the number down incorrectly. As you might expect, they did not have any room for us so the "find another restaurant on Saturday evening scramble" was on. Would suggest that they go to email/ online reservation system as the phone system has its weaknesses.
Funny thing is, this restaurant is nice and the food is good as well as the service. May be knit picking but sure is frustrating to have to go to "PlanB" on such late notice. To quote a late, great American President - "Trust But Verify".

• Visited May 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Iowa
“Fantastic Quiet Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

Low lighting, calming, wonderful food, wonderful service, everything you would want to wind down from a hectic day. We had a fantastic dining experience. (No we're not affiliated with Ranallo's in any way.) It really was wonderful. We had dinner with another couple for Valentine's weekend and have no complaints whatsoever. Everything was perfect.

We had appetizers, wine, drinks, etc., with our dinner.

• Visited February 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Iowa
“The best Ankeny has to offer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

Spouse and I went there last night with 2 other couples and we were all impressed. I had the smothered steak and it was tender and cooked just as I had ordered it. Garlic mashed potatoes had a nice texture and I could actually taste the garlic - more than can be said for many so-called. The only really disappointing thing about the food was that 3 members of our party ordered the scallops and the waitress came out after our salads were gone to tell us they just ran out of scallops! But those 3 picked out new items, no harm done (besides the extra wait for our food). One member of our party ordered shrimp alfredo, which I don't think is on the menu, and while the sauce was "awesome" they only gave her 3 shrimp. Talk about stingy!
They have a pretty big martini list and I ordered the Anti-Oxident which I highly recommend to those who enjoy berry flavor in their martini.
Overall a great sit-down non-chain restaurant in Ankeny. Although I wouldn't make the drive to Ankeny just to eat here - there are plenty of great local restaurants in my Des Moines neighborhood - this would definitely be my first choice if I'm in Ankeny already.

• Visited January 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Midwest
“Nothing like it in the Des Moines area!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

Small-town yet elegant setting with incredible food. My husband and I have eaten here several things and never ordered something that was less than the best. I highly recommend the artichoke dip, chicken marsala, and chocolate lava cake. The bar is great too. You will be treated like family and fed like royalty for a price that's a little more than your chain restaurant but definitely not outrageous.