“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Livermore, United States
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

We had to fit 5 into the room because it was the State Fair on the weekend we were coming to the area. It was difficult to find a room but it was worth it. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. The room was fresh and clean.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

HamptonAmesMgmt, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ames, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Thank you for your review about your time with us while in the area visiting the Iowa State Fair! We are glad you enjoyed your time with us and we hope you had a great time at the fair as well! Clean, fresh and friendly are the top three values we strive for - we even gave them a name "Hamptonality! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Brifgetown, Barbados
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

The hotel staff was helpful and polite. The room smelled a bit of old cigarette smoke but it is now no-smoking. Other than that is is a quiet and convenient place to stay with lots of parking. There is a gas station, truck stop and Subway within walking distance and a Thiesens store, other than that you need a vehicle.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Helpful and polite are two great things we love to hear about our team! We are undergoing many changes here and one of our most recent changes was converting to a 100% non smoking hotel. We are so sorry to hear about the issue you had during your time with us. We have addressed the issue with the guest room smell and cleanliness. We look forward to welcoming you back soon to share these changes with you.
Iowa City, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

The front desk staff were absolutely lovely. Very helpful and welcoming. The lobby was newer and very nice. The hallways and the room had a faintly bad smell. The room was clean and linens were nice. The big downside was the cooling unit in the room which was incredibly loud...it would intermittently kick off so we could sleep for a while but would be awakened again when it kicked back in. We had gotten a good rate on this room so it was fine but had we paid the typical rate, would have been very disappointed.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback about your past stay with us at our Hampton! We are so glad to hear you enjoyed our team, but are sad to hear you did have issues with your air conditioner in your guest room. We are always looking for ways to improve, as our team shares a mutual vision of excellence and will use your feedback as we continue to make changes to our Hampton to ensure our guest's 100% satisfaction when they stay with us.
Denver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I love Hampden and was a bit disappointed. I had been on a road trip for days, so I was fairly exhausted and was just looking for a place to stay close to the interstate. The bed was extremely comfortable and I love the duvet. There is a nice TV in the room, and I love that there were charging stations with USB ports and extra plugs.

My big issue is that my room is non-smoking yet is smelled like smoke and had a cigarette burn in the ottoman.

The other dislikes were the layout of the room. There is an ottoman between the TV and the desk, so you could not watch TV while doing any work or eating (I got in late and had picked up some Chinese). I am also a bathtub person and I believe this had to be the shallowest tub I have ever seen. And last the deadbolt does not work on the door. It is not lined up properly on room 233.

I brought up the smoke and deadbolt issue to the front desk when I checked out. The girl said she would put it on the maintenance list. I stood there like a bit of an idiot because I expected a bit more of a response. When she looked back up at me and noticed I was a bit shocked she then asked if I requested to be moved last night. I let her know I got in late and jumped in the tub first thing. I was not up for moving once out of the tub. She then offered me a Pizza Hut gift card. Interesting.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your detailed review about your past time with us at our Hampton! We are so sorry to hear about the issues you had during your time with us and will use all of your comments to better our Hampton until we move into our new building set to open in 2015!
We have addressed all of the issues immediately after you checked out, and have underwent many changes to ensure this doesn't happen again. We as a team are very sad that we overlooked the issues you had. Please feel free to reach out to anyone on our team directly as we would love to honor our 100% Hampton Guarantee due to the issues you had during your time with us. We will just need some additional information from you to process the guarantee. We look forward to hearing from you and we hope these issues do not detour your loyalty to not only our Hampton but our entire portfolio of hotels.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

The check in was professional, efficient, and very friendly. They gave us a 'quiet' room as a lot of kids were there.
The king sized bed was excellent. One of the best night's sleep I've had in a long time.
The shower was very nice but the drain was very slow. Hopefully, that will be fixed soon.
The location is extremely convenient to I-35 and the price, through a website we used, was very affordable.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
We love hearing comments like yours and are glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us! We are so sad to see we overlooked the issue with your drain in the shower, and are glad to report we have addressed the issue and are looking at ways to ensure this doesn't happen again. We are thrilled to hear you loved our Clean and Fresh Cloud Nine bed by Serta, coupled with our fluffy pillows it can prove to be challenging to wake up in the morning! We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I stay at a lot of hotels of this level when I travel (frequently) so I consider myself a good judge of what's "standard" at this level. This was substandard. On entering the lobby, everything looks great: the lobby has been very recently renovated. When I checked in, I waited, and waited...and waited while the clerk had a long phone conversation with someone who'd booked through Priceline but was still insistent on picking their room. Finally, I got my keys and headed down a dated hallway to my room. Unfortunately, the keys didn't work. I returned to the front desk, was given 2 more keys, which didn't work. So the front desk clerk had to come down and fiddle with it until he found 2 keys that would work. When we got in the room, it had a 'funk', as if cheese had been left out in it for a week. The sofa was so dirty and stained that I told my daughter to stay away from it. I inspected the bedding and mattress and the mattress was fairly worn, with holes worn through its cover. The room itself, seemed dated but with a mostly renovated bathroom. In renovating, the tub caulking was poorly done & there was an actual hole in the wall there. There was a metal light fixture cover in the bathroom (old) that was quite rusty. We finally got to bed but were kept up by people making noise in the hallway. Since we were on the first floor, the front desk clerk had to have heard the very loud conversations from the hallway. At 11:45pm, I called the front desk about it and the clerk said he would speak to them. However, thd noise kept up until after midnight, so I'm not sure he did anything at all. In the morning, most of the breakfast items were empty. It looked like it had been quite nice but we were down there at about 8:15, the breakfast supposedly went to 10am and there weren't many choices left (cereal, bagels, some eggs, bananas and apples).

This was a surprisingly disappointing stay. I expect much better from the Hampton Inn chain.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your past stay with us at our Hampton! Our Ames Hampton Inn takes each comment as a way to continuously improvement our service and quality.

I apologize; you did not receive the Level 10 exceptional service that our Hampton practices with each and every guest. This issues you faced are unacceptable in our eyes. We, as a team, are embarrassed that we overlooked the issues you had during your time with us.

I am confident that the team shares the vision of nothing less than excellence. We strive to provide each guest with the level of service and quality they have come to know and expect. Therefore, anything less than exceptional (10) is a failure grade for us. As we continue to train our new team, we will use your feedback to ensure we are making things better until we move into our brand new building set to open in late 2015.

Should your travels take you back to Ames, Iowa we would love to see you back. Your loyalty to very important to us, as we have many exciting changes happening over the next few years with our new hotel opening in late 2015.
Plymouth, MN, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Enjoyed a restful and comfortable stay at Hampton Inn in Ames, Iowa. The breakfast had many options. I especially enjoyed the eggs, sausage, and potatoes. My husband appreciated the fresh fruit. It provided a great start to a day of walking. We are touring Universities this Summer.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

We are so thrilled to hear your review of our Hampton! We are so glad we had the chance to welcome you to Ames as you tour universities and we hope to be able to welcome you back next time as a new member of our ISU Cyclone family! We completed a new breakfast refresh and our new eggs, sausages and potatoes are fantastic! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Been to Hampton Inn Ames? Share your experiences!