“Wish I could give Hampton Inn - Ames a higher rating, but.....” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save 15%
Ranked #5 of 18 hotels in Ames
Rochester, MN
“Wish I could give Hampton Inn - Ames a higher rating, but.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My family stayed at this Hampton Inn for one night recently. Location is convenient, and within easy driving distance to the best restaurant in Ames, Hickory Park. Check in was very fast.
The room was clean, but we were disappointed that it lacked a mini-fridge which we really needed for milk for our infant. I didn't know there were Hampton's that did not have a fridge in the room??

This is an older Hampton Inn with sprawling hallways, you do a lot of walking. Pool area was ok, but no hot tub. Breakfast was solid with typical Hampton fare. I paid $132 + tax for the night and this was a corp. rate. For Ames, IA, this rate is very high. For that reason, and esp. for the fridge issue, I cannot rate above average BUT also cannot say to avoid this Hampton Inn because it does serve its purpose.

129 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Lincoln University, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Room was dirty! Airconditioner was very noisy. Carpet needs to be cleaned on some frequency. Overall there are many nice things about this hotel (pool, location, lobby). Just needs to take some care and attention to the quality of cleanliness to attract business clients.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

HamptonAmesMgmt, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ames, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us. I understand you were unhappy with the cleanliness of your room and I am very sorry for this experience. We take a lot of pride in our guests being satisfied and apologize that we were unable to meet that expectation. I am working with our housekeeping staff to prevent this from happening in the future. I hope that if your travels bring you back to the area, you will consider staying with us again.
Nebraska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

This is a VERY dated Hampton Inn. Don't get me wrong, you receive your typical amenities (breakfast, wi-fi, etc...), but I still wasn't impressed. I think part of my 2 star rating is simply because of the location.....Ames, IA. The staff clearly have not worked in a "real city" hotel. Everything moves at their slow pace. They aren't doing anything wrong, but when a traveler like myself is in New York City every other week, I tend to grow a little impatient when I am in a small town like Ames. The rooms are dated and tired. I don't think this franchise has any plans to renovate until Hilton threatens to pull their flag.

With that being said, I will stay here the next time I am in Ames. I don't want to completely steer travelers away from this hotel because the staff is friendly, the beds are comfortable, the wi-fi works, the breakfast is good (typical Hampton breakfast), etc... I just don't want travelers thinking they are going to get a "5 diamond" experience while staying here. And that is just because of the location...middle of nowhere...i.e. Ames, IA.

Room Tip: The hallways are long and there is only 1 elevator (to my knowledge). You may want to ask for a room...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Lake Bluff, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

The hotel was ok. Housekeeping was poor. The room was not properly cleaned and the beds were not made. We stayed here because there were no rooms in Des Moines with two beds. There was not always someone at the desk.

PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Close to Iowa State University and Ames. Good number of restaurants in the area: I particularly liked Pizza Ranch and Hickory Park for their authenticity. The nearby Azteca Mexican place, however, is not remembered so fondly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Eau claire WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Very nice place to stay! The outside looks alittle outdated but they are in the process of re-doing the outside. Everything inside is clean and fresh! Rooms are very quiet ..... when we were there they was a girls basketball tournament in town so was worried about giggling girls running through the halls late at night but did not hear a thing! The breakfast was great .... omlets, sausage patties, home fried potatoes, waffles, HOT OATMEAL (first time I have ever seen that in a motel) and plenty of fresh fruit and bagels/muffins.pastries. Am planning on staying there next week on the return trip to home .... so I guess you can say I liked it and will return!

Room Tip: I always request a upper floor room to try to avoid noise of people above but I think all rooms ther...
odessa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Overall experience was satisfactory in all areas. Convenient location for Iowa State camp. Room available prior to stated check in time which was nice. Didn't spend much time in room other than to sleep. Cool and quiet environment. Nice television with HBO and wifi in room. Double beds seem really small especially if we would have been traveling with all four in our family however they were comfortable with good pillows. Breakfast was fine, standard selection. Nice decor in loby.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Been to Hampton Inn Ames? Share your experiences!