“Nice stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gateway Center Hotel

You added Gateway Center Hotel to your Saves list
Gateway Center Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2100 Green Hills Drive, US 30 & Elwood Drive, Ames, IA 50010   |
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Ames
Laramie, Wyoming
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

I was surprised when I initially saw all the negative reviews. I thought this was a good hotel conveniently located close to Iowa State. Pretty neat hotel with all the ISU decorations and pictures. My only complaints are about the breakfast, which wasn't free and was average in quality.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Although the hotel was older, the rooms themselves were in decent shape. The hallways were looking worn. The air conditioning dripping over the back entrance constantly was pretty gross as you couldn't avoid getting dripped on your head or the puddle on the ground. Breakfast should be included at this price, especially when the restaurant wanted $11.95 for adults. $36.00 for breakfast for the three of us in my family ain't happening. The staff was very pleasant, and the water features were nice, if slightly dated.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Ankeny, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I checked into this hotel for a conference in a college town. It's close to the conference site and has an excesive parking space. The hotel lobby and the decarative items in it told me that it's one of old style not quite following the modern trend, and my first impression was right after I got into my room.

My room is small, cozy, but a bit dark partially due to its low-ceiling, like the lobby ceiling. There is no central conditioning; air-conditioners are mounted below the windows. It's not as noisy as a typical window conditioner, but when all in the adjacent rooms are running at night, the noise level is enough to waken up anyone in sleep. To my surprise, I couldn't find a thermostat anywhere in the room for me to adjust the room tempreture to the one that I prefer. The noise and the hard-to-control room tempreture made my first-night real miserable and checked out the hotel the second day. I would rather drive an hour one way than stay in it for another overnight "getaway."

BTW, the front-desk staff are friendly and helpful. Their smiles once made me feel at home.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Janesville, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I have stayed at the Gateway 20 + times in the last several years, the last just this past weekend. While I enjoy the location and the always friendly staff, the hotel is looking shopworn and in need of repairs/upgrades. On my most recent stay the concrete at the entrance to the hotel was cracked and uneven and the steps had pieces broken out and in need of repair. My room was comfortable and the bed excellent, but the ceiling was cracked with several holes or pits visible. Housekeeping wasn't the best, I found a washcloth hanging on the shower curtain that had obviously been left by a previous visitor but not noticed when the room was cleaned; made me wonder what else was not cleaned and/or overlooked. To the hotel's credit they said they would comp my room when I told them of the washcloth, but I'm still waiting for the credit to appear on my card, and I'm also waiting for the gift certificate they promised to e-mail me.

I just hope the Gateway keeps up with repairs, etc. because I like to stay there due to its location and ties to Iowa State, but there are a number of nicer hotels in Ames now.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Northwestern Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Yes, it was a little annoying that the rooms did not have a mini-fridge, but we had a cooler along so it wasn't that big a deal. We don't drink coffee or use a microwave in a hotel room anyway, so the lack of those things meant nothing to us. Some parts of the room (ceiling, furniture) were dated but the beds were very comfortable and clean, there was a nice sized vanity in the bathroom where I could spread out my toiletries, and BEST OF ALL TO ME was the air conditioner made it nice and cold at night like I like and KEPT RUNNING, didn't turn on and off like some of air conditioners they put in many hotels these days. Kept me comfortable and not bothered by noise from the hall or outside. We really enjoyed the Iowa Stater restaurant for cocktails and hooking up with friends, the bartenders were excellent, especially "Butch"! I would recommend this hotel in a heartbeat, it was very close to Iowa State University where we attended a wedding and enjoyed seeing the beautiful campus.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
midwest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

In the world of Drury and Hampton Inns, this place is just so-so. You'll get cable and internet, but certainly no fridge in the room, no newspaper/breakfast/etc. Even the coffeemaker in our room had hair in it...ewww. The landscaping is nice, and the pool was warm, but the hotel overall is very dated on the inside. Our room was musty and the carpet felt damp even with the AC running. The curtains were heavily water-stained, beds and pillows were so-so. The receptionist who checked us in was fantastic, but the staff smoking near the parking lot was a big negative. The walls are thin enough that you can easily hear people in the room next to you talking, and can hear everyone in the hallways. Hate to say it, but I would definitely not stay at the Gateway again.

Room Tip: Avoid the elevator or anywhere people congregate, as the walls/doors are very much not sound-proof.