“Good... but....” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Ames, Iowa
“Good... but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

For once, I am not writing a review of the food... it is a good place to eat. Which is why we wanted to go this past weekend, Sat. night. We show up at 8:45... doors locked.... huh?? Very confused... maybe they closed down...

Went around front.... sign on the front door, that no one uses... "we stop seating 15 minutes before 9pm." Really?? Its not that they just stop seating.. .they lock the doors! So weird... I guess it is their prerogative, but sheesh... we weren't the only ones to walk up the door and shake our head and walk away. Every other restaurant downtown serves until 10 on the weekend... and they have their doors LOCKED at 8:45...

I supposed I am glad they weren't open, because we had a lovely meal from Lucilans right next door, then.

• Visited July 2012

Manila
“Solid Thai cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Fine Thai food. Nothing spectacular but the flavors are there and the service is pleasant.

Visited April 2012
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Great Servers and amazing Thai Food. I have yet to find a better thai restaurant. The food is very fresh and flavorful. The 3 Flavor Fish is delicious and so is the Pad Ka Prow. The entrees are large servings, so come with an appetite!

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fort Dodge, Iowa
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

We have been to the Spice many times, in fact, it WAS a favorite. Last night we had an unbelievable experience. I'm not sure if the waitress was new, but the service was as bad as I've experienced anywhere. We ordered drinks and an appetizer (The Spice Plate for $15) upon arrival. A few minutes later she took our order. Within minutes our drinks and appetizer arrived. Most of the items were cold and undercooked (egg rolls were doughy). Not surprising since it came out so fast. We just started on our appetizer and the entrees arrived. The table was very small, and no room for the food. We weren't sure if she wanted to take our appetizer away, but she passed us our food and we were to figure out where to set it. With four of us dining, only two of the entrees were acceptable; the pad thai and cashew chicken. My father ordered red curry with beef. There was a huge chunk of meat that was so tough and full of grissle. He took it out of the bowl and left it on the plate. The waitress asked how everything was, and he mentioned that the meat was very tough and he could not eat it. She said she would say something to the chef. I ordered a shrimp dish and the shrimp were overcooked and tough. They don't have knives at the restaurant, so not sure how they expected a person to eat, because it was impossible to cut the shrimp with a fork. We drove over an hour to go to The Spice, looking forward to the experiences we've had in the past. It's doubtful we visit again anytime soon. There were no apologies or offers to not charge for uneaten food. So sad, I hope this was a off night, but it was enough to keep us from coming back.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Boone, Iowa
“OMG! I thought I was in Heaven! YUM!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

After standing at the locked door that faces Main St. for 10 minutes, we realized it said "main door in back" (lol). The Appetizer Sampler is way overpriced at $15, you only get two of each (except the Chicken Satay you got 4). I asked if we could pay extra and get one more of each item (there were three of us) and the answer was NO. The spring rolls were good and the satay was good, but the fried fish things were ichy (Tung Tong, I think), and the King Hom Sabai was just so so.. Definitely not worth $15, so pass that by.
Hub got the Spicy Catfish and he was in heaven, said it was very good. Son & I each got the Drunken Posta which was perfectly spicy hot, I got mine with Chicken, he with Beef. A huge portion we both had take home. While this is very good, I can get a cheap variation of it at Noodles & Co. so, if I go back may try something different.
Now the best part. The desert. I got the mango with sticky rice and OMG! I think this was the best thing I ever ate! Hub got the Mango sorbet, which was also unbelievably good and the presentation is very appealing, son wanted the Key Lime Calypso which they no longer make, so he got the Berry Lemon Mascarpone Cake which is unbelievable.
If nothing else, stop here for desert sometime, you won't be disappointed!

• Visited March 2012