“Disappointing” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Fort Dodge, Iowa
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

We have been to the Spice many times, in fact, it WAS a favorite. Last night we had an unbelievable experience. I'm not sure if the waitress was new, but the service was as bad as I've experienced anywhere. We ordered drinks and an appetizer (The Spice Plate for $15) upon arrival. A few minutes later she took our order. Within minutes our drinks and appetizer arrived. Most of the items were cold and undercooked (egg rolls were doughy). Not surprising since it came out so fast. We just started on our appetizer and the entrees arrived. The table was very small, and no room for the food. We weren't sure if she wanted to take our appetizer away, but she passed us our food and we were to figure out where to set it. With four of us dining, only two of the entrees were acceptable; the pad thai and cashew chicken. My father ordered red curry with beef. There was a huge chunk of meat that was so tough and full of grissle. He took it out of the bowl and left it on the plate. The waitress asked how everything was, and he mentioned that the meat was very tough and he could not eat it. She said she would say something to the chef. I ordered a shrimp dish and the shrimp were overcooked and tough. They don't have knives at the restaurant, so not sure how they expected a person to eat, because it was impossible to cut the shrimp with a fork. We drove over an hour to go to The Spice, looking forward to the experiences we've had in the past. It's doubtful we visit again anytime soon. There were no apologies or offers to not charge for uneaten food. So sad, I hope this was a off night, but it was enough to keep us from coming back.

• Visited April 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

91% Recommend
Boone, Iowa
“OMG! I thought I was in Heaven! YUM!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

After standing at the locked door that faces Main St. for 10 minutes, we realized it said "main door in back" (lol). The Appetizer Sampler is way overpriced at $15, you only get two of each (except the Chicken Satay you got 4). I asked if we could pay extra and get one more of each item (there were three of us) and the answer was NO. The spring rolls were good and the satay was good, but the fried fish things were ichy (Tung Tong, I think), and the King Hom Sabai was just so so.. Definitely not worth $15, so pass that by.
Hub got the Spicy Catfish and he was in heaven, said it was very good. Son & I each got the Drunken Posta which was perfectly spicy hot, I got mine with Chicken, he with Beef. A huge portion we both had take home. While this is very good, I can get a cheap variation of it at Noodles & Co. so, if I go back may try something different.
Now the best part. The desert. I got the mango with sticky rice and OMG! I think this was the best thing I ever ate! Hub got the Mango sorbet, which was also unbelievably good and the presentation is very appealing, son wanted the Key Lime Calypso which they no longer make, so he got the Berry Lemon Mascarpone Cake which is unbelievable.
If nothing else, stop here for desert sometime, you won't be disappointed!

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent Thai Food in Ames”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

We tried the green curry chicken and the duck curry. Both were excellent, spicy which is preferable in a Thai curry. The curry portions were generous. Prices are pretty steep for Thai food.

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ames, Iowa
“Very Expensive!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

I have been to many Thai restaurants around Ames and Des Moines and this one is by far the most expensive. The restaurant itself is set up strange and when someone opens the front door it gets really cold in the main dining area. Also, if your planning a romantic meal there you need to know the acoustics for this restaurant are awful. The main dining room has about 15-20 foot ceilings and sound reverberates all over the place. All I heard all night was the scraping of forks, banging of plates, and other talking. The food itself was good to just okay. We had the appetizer "The Spice Sampler" and the chicken satay was very sweet, but dried out, the fried spring rolls tasted like they were from frozen, the very small fried dumplings were good, but tiny, and all of the dipping sauces I could buy from the Asian grocery store accross town. The Tom Yam soup was awful.The main entrees were bland and for 13-17 dollars a piece makes it a very expensive meal. We did not do dessert ( they looked fantastic and were about 5 dollars each) just because for the two of us with a bottle of wine the bill was 90+. The wait staff they had that night was very good and I enjoyed how they cleared away my plates right away and were personable. All in all I would not go back just because I find that the prices for all fo the food offered was too steep and I can get better ambiance and food elsewhere. Please bring your prices down, use more flavor spices ( Kaffir Lime, Cilantro, Cinnamon, ect) in the sauces, and keep the fantastic wait staff!

• Visited January 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
dubuque
“delicious a must try!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

I can't remember the names of what we ordered, but I can say everyone's food was delicious, generous portions and super friendly service, even though we came in 20 minutes before closing (we did not realize it) they were wonderful!

Visited January 2012