“Not good” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Ames
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Not good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

The beds were clean and comfortable. The plumbing worked and we had clean towels. The security safe in the room also worked, as did the AC. So, if that's all you need, this hotel will satisfy your needs. But before you go, here are some other things you should know. The outside periphery doors were set up for keyed-entry, but they weren't locked. In other words, the bldg was open to the public all night long through every door. I'm a "Choice Hotels" member, and use their facilities often. I've never had to park so far away from a bldg as we did when arriving back at our room at ~11:00 P.M. The wi-fi didn't work. Not late Saturday evening, or in the morning on Sunday. The problem was the hotel's. When I brought this to the front-desk's attention, the young woman on duty gave me a number for someone named "Omar" at Iowa St Univ. We were getting ready to leave and wanted to check the weather. I did not call Omar. In fact, we didn't officially check out because the desk clerk's computer was "running slow," so she was just taking names and room numbers from guests who were turning in keys. She, the desk clerk, seemed pretty out of sorts. Back to our arrival, the room we were initially assigned had a security safe that didn't work, and the bathtub was full of water because the plug had been left closed and the faucet was dripping. We moved to another room. The worst part of the experience was breakfast. They had to people working to staff the breakfast buffet, but they couldn't keep up with the demand. My wife is a tea drinker. She went to the hot-water thermos to get some water for her tea, and it was ice cold. When she pointed that out to one of the employees, she was told "the hot water is being use for the coffee," so my wife was sent down the hall to the athletic training facility to get hot water out of the tap on the Culligan dispenser, which worked, but. . . . The final thing, this is the first Choice Hotel I've been to in YEARS that didn't have a coffee pot set out for the guests w/ 24-hr coffee available. We went looking for one at check-out time, and were sent to the breakfast buffet (which had been over for about an hour) where we found two empty coffee dispenser and employees in no hurry to replace them. I find it rather amusing, yet sad, that we were in a town w/ a supposed top-notch technical university and the hotel couldn't get its computers to function competently, nor did they appear to have anyone on site with any kind of technical expertise.

Room Tip: If you need wi-fi, make it sure it works before paying for your room! Oh, and don't stay by the...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Homer Glen, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

My family was very happy with the room and the layout of the hotel. The indoor pool setup was situated in the middle of the hotel and had ample seating. Breakfast was excellent and refilled quickly. Plenty of restaurants in the area to choose from.

Stayed August 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I will say the lobby area is very nice. The breakfast area is fine. But rooms are very so-so. Hallway is a bit shabby, too. The bathroom is beyond tiny. No vanity area. Sink is separate from tub/toilet, but that area is in dire need of attention. Definite lack of plugs in the room.
Room was freezing COLD when we entered, brrrrr. What a waste of energy. Took over an hour to get to comfortable zone!
I've never stayed anywhere where there was a 1/2 used lotion bottle and there might have been 6 tissues left in the box. Sad state of housekeeping.
Only stayed one night, that was enough.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Marietta, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

The only nice aspects were the small pool and area around it. The hotel was dirty. My room had cracks in the dry wall. The room had a lazyboy recliner in it that I would not recommend sitting it due to impossibility of cleaning this type of furniture. I went to Kmart and bought folding chairs to sit in. The rooms were small and did not have either a microwave or a refrigerator. The only elevator there has cracks in the flooring. The breakfast was the same everyday for the three days we stayed there.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
arnolds park
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

This Quality Inn has recently been remodeled. The hotel is quiet, very clean and has an attached bar/restaurant. It's on the north side of Ames, but essentially all attractions are a short drive and easily accessible.
The wireless worked well, flat screen tv with cable, mattresses were comfortable, bedding was recently updated, etc.
The hotel staff were more than accommodating and gracious hosts.

Room Tip: No complaints.. it's a fairly quiet hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Destin, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed here in October 2013 as a couple. The fellow at the front desk (Zak) was very rote in his comments, brief, and I wouldn't call him overly friendly. That's where the pleasant experience ends.

Our room was on third floor, We entered the elevator, floor tiles crumbling and door making loud noises. Not a good first impression. Third floor STUNK! Musty, smelly stink. Our room was at the end of the hallway. As we entered, again the stench of musty room jumped out at us. The beds were comfortable, had enough pillows, and we slept well. The chair had an uncertain white stain which made us a little uncomfortable. As for the bathroom -- I didn't like sitting in the dark to use the toilet, but the light did not work. The bathroom sink drain did not work well, one had to shut off the faucet and allow it to drain.

We went for the 'breakfast', and it was just nasty. Greasy, few items, etc. We have had far greater breakfasts in hotels, this was very sub-par but would have potential if they stocked supplies and actually had food in there.

Overall, it was not a pleasant experience and I would not stay here again. Maybe if they re-do the entire hotel and do some basic maintenance!

Room Tip: Stay away from third floor, the musty smell permeates the entire floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in July 2013. I was on the second floor and the toilet in the room was broken and did not flush. I was moved to the first floor. During breakfast I found out the hard way that the Orange Juice was soured and the breakfast items were warm at best. The pool water was very cloudy and had stuff floating in it. by the time I left the pool was clear and cleaned. Also, they made multiple errors on my bill and it was very difficult to understand. Needless to say, as a Choice member, I will not be staying at this hotel in the future and I recommend that others search out better hotels in the Ames Area.

Room Tip: Go to the Holiday Inn Express across the street.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Starlite? Share your experiences!