“Never Again” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Ames
Coon Rapids, Minnesota
“Never Again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I normally don't give out bad reviews on hotels, but I am sorry to say that the impression that one gets at the front desk makes or breaks the hotel. When asked what time the restaurant closed adjoining the hotel the girl at the front desk said 10:00 P.M. Since we arrived about 8:30, we had plenty of time to get our luggage, take a shower after a more than 350 miles driving day before heading to the restaurant. At about 9:10 we headed in that direction, only to be told at the restaurant's bar that the restaurant closed at 9:00! We again went back to the front desk to inform the girl there about the closing and she had all she could do to glance up at us and say (again) that it was open until 10:00. She was being rude and seemed as though she didn't want to be there, much less treat the customer with any respect. A fast food restaurant doesnt cut it after a long day! Don't stay here...go across the street! Never again will I stay at THIS hotel.

Room Tip: There is an inside (open)pool in the middle of the hotel so the chlorine smell is both hard on your...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Algona, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I booked my room directly through the hotel and had them send me an email confirmation. When I arrived the price quoted and contained in the confirmation email was different then the price they were trying to charge. Apparently "corporate" adds on another $5(ish) charge for the safe in your room "in case you use it". I felt it was somewhat dishonest policy to quote a price with taxes included in a confirmation email and then add on an additional charge after the fact. I questioned the change in price. After much discussion the staff did take off the charge. Also I arrived at night. Upon entering the room I closed the curtains, and when I went to got in bed the curtains did not cover the entire window. The crack was only about one to two inches. I was on ground floor so I was able watch as the headlights from a car parked in front of my window and a couple got out of their vehicle. I complained the next day to the manager. She said they would take care of it when I returned to my room that evening nothing had been done. I felt my privacy was compromised and the staff did nothing to resolve the issue. Overall when I walked in the door the lobby had an odor. The overall hotel felt old but appeared relatively clean. The facilities for the conference were fine. There was a problem with audio that the hotel staff corrected quickly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
READING
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We were in town for a wedding and needed two rooms next to each other and requested our rooms be close to another party. The staff did an excellent job of accommodating us. When we arrived, one of the rooms didn't smell like a non-smoking room and the staff was able to rearrange rooms so that all our 'closeness' remained intact. The hotel was undergoing some interior renovations, but nothing that disturbed our stay. Room was very clean, comfortable, and well maintained. Exercise facility was quite adequate for a good, moderate workout. Location right off of I-35 made it very convenient for travel to/from the airport. Breakfast was very good and well laid out. Only complaint was that the pool was really, really cold. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Glenview, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

We spent a night here during a convention. Staff was very pleasant and professional except for the breakfast lady who yelled at me. The bathroom is a nightmare. The tub was awful.The regulator for the water temperature didnt work and the drain is in a ridiculous place in the middle of the tub. Very dangerous and illegal because there are no anti skid strips in the bottom. The sink height was made for midgets. The sheets were hard and scratchy. There were flies in the room that bit me all night. The bedspread felt dirty.

• Stayed August 2012
Green Bay, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

This was the 2nd worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Room was awful, bedspread was dirty, bedskirts were ripped, sheets on 1 bed looked like they had been slept in. Bathroom was in bad need of a scrub brush. When we took a shower wads of black hair came up from the drain, the area around the drain was black with mold - glad we had shower shoes to use. Hall area was dirty - there was food on the floor in the hall right next to the door of our room - pool area was dirty and pool water was very cloudy, looked disgusting. Breakfast area was a greasy mess. The waffle irons were so slimmy you were afraid to touch them. Looked so bad we decided to skip breakfast. Were told to use back entrance to get to room - door did not lock - cribs and garbage fill the entire enterance area - garbage was all over parking lot - area around dumpsters looked like a landfil. Seriously thinking for pitching my Pro-choice hotel card after this stay. Finding their hotels are very pricey for such terrible DUMPS!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
arnolds park
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

This is an older hotel that is in the process of receiving an exterior facelift! My room was very pleasant, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel was clean and well kept. It's not a Hilton and the furnishings are again clean, but not the most up to date. Overall, I would stay again.

Room Tip: This is an adequate hotel room, with very friendly staff and an attached bar/grill available.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Plano, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012 via mobile

Our first visit to Ames to tour the university. We were a family of four. The only good news was that our rooms were next to each other. Everything else about our stay was no better than 1 star. The coffee in the breakfast was the color of ginger ale. Everything else is 1980s and in dire need of complete renovation. A poor attempt to update the bath was a tub insert that made you step up more than eight inches so the shower head is good only if you are less than five foot eight inches. DO NOT GET A ROOM AROUND THE POOL. It is loud, and the glass offers no sound insulation. Doors were slamming all night. Staff was overwhelmed and constantly distracted. We were handed off during the check in and we watched another customer wait unattended to. We stayed based on the loyalty program with choice hotels and some positive reviews. We have no idea how such positivity could be gleaned from this hotel. Look elsewhere in Ames. Sorry Choice Hotels. This was disappointing at half the price.

• Stayed February 2012

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Starlite? Share your experiences!