“Overall a good place to stay in Ames.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Ames
Williamsburg, Iowa
“Overall a good place to stay in Ames.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

This was our first night on the road of a week long vacation. We had just done the train ride in Boone and wanted to check in and the kids were ready for a dip in the pool. We are a family traveling with two children, ages 7 and 4. Check-in went smoothy, I can't complain of the price since this was a free stay for us as we had Marriott certificates to use before they expired. We checked in and after going out for dinner, we went down to the pool. The pool was small but warm enough to swim in. The hot tub was very hot and I couldn't stay in it. We had a nice swim and went up to get ready for bed. Unfortunately, the other guests in the hotel were very loud and noisy and we didn't get as good as sleep as we had hoped. I didn't consider that the hotel problem as much as the adults in charge of the team that was staying the same night we were there. The bed was surprisingly high which made me nervous as my 4 year old still rolls around quite a bit as she sleeps. I had to get up twice to push her back closer to the middle of the bed. The hotel has recently been remodeled and it was all very nice and clean and smelled good. The room seemed a tiny bit on the narrow side as there was not much room to move the cart in and out of the room. My husband raved about the height of the shower head and the good shower he had at the hotel. Breakfast was excellent with a good variety of items. My son loved the cinnamon rolls. But with many hotels, the staff can make your day by being friendly and answering questions. Whitney who was working the front desk that morning had a quick smile and made my morning better by being so friendly as I was trying to get us all up and out for our next adventure.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Pickens, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Because of death in family and game and other event going on in Ames forced to stay here. Walls are thin can hear people talking in next room, can hear people walking down the hallways talking in a normal voice. Can hear people walking around in room above us.. AC broken so stays on very cold with high fan running so I had to unplug to get it to stop working. Doors are heavy so they slam shut loudly.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

In Ames for the weekend for a basketball tournament. I had not stayed at a Fairfield before but was quite impressed with this one. It appears extremely new. There isn't a lot of places immediately nearby, but close enough. You could tell the newness by the softness of the carpet, especially in the hall ways. The rooms were very nice and I especially like the raised beds...a nice touch. The continental breakfast was typical...nothing out of this world, but good enough. The rooms were impeccable and the staff was very friendly. The $150 rate was high, but it seemed to be the going rate unless you wanted a motel type stay. I would certainly returm

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Ocala, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I was a bit apprehensive about booking this location coming from Wichita, KS. We checked in the night of the bad storms and it was a bit sketchy for awhile. We never lost power but could tell we were in the midst of a upper midwest thunderstorm. Being from Florida we are used to storms but not on this level. We barely got checked in and settled and all hell broke loose.

Checkin was uneventful I don't recall the young lady thanking me for being an Elite member although our keys indicated that. The room was nice and what I would expect from a Fairfield and wish they had the same layout here in Wausau, WI at the Fairfield. We had a nice night sleep after the storms moved through and woke up to a clear and sunny day. After being on the road I was exhausted so we didn't do the breakfast. Overall impressed with the hotel. They didn't have any supplies or drinks like they normally do at a fairfield.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Ames, IA area. My advice though is to get your drinks and sandwiches at the neighboring truck stop subway store. They didn't have anything in the lobby.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Montevideo, Uruguay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

It is a good hotel. They made sure I knew in advance that they were going through some constructions and painting repairs in the lobby. I was in the second floor and I was able to hear people walking in the third floor.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Maplewood, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

This was our second stay at this hotel. The first time was two years ago.

Nice, clean hotel. The employees are very friendly and helpful. We were there visiting family and stayed two nights.

It is VERY important to me that a hotel is clean and this hotel fit the bill! Other than construction/remodel stuff in the lobby area, the hotel was very orderly and clean.

The hotel is just finishing up with a remodel - the guest rooms are done and when we were there, they were finishing with the lobby and breakfast area. We were very happy with our room - it was completely updated and the bed was very comfortable. It was really nice to have a microwave and refrigerator in our room - with a 4 year old, we need that for snacks and leftovers from eating out.

Breakfast was nice - eggs, bacon, toast, bagels, fruit, cereal, oatmeal, milk, juice, yogurt, muffins....something for everyone. My 4 year old found something she liked and was happy and that is a big deal! The gal taking care of the breakfast area was very hard working and was continually refilling everything!

I would absolutely recommend this hotel! It is like new and the service really is great. We will stay again next time we visit!

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor - our room was very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
San Francisco Bay Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

I stayed a night recently on a business trip. When I arrived there was lots of construction trailers and equipment parked out front. i was a bit uncertain as to whether they were open or under construction. When I walked in the lobby.....my view stayed the same, there was carpet and other materials everywhere, and lots of workers working.....but there was someone at the reception who greeted me.

They asked whether I knew they had remodeling going...and well I didn't. But as I learned it was the lobby area they were finishing up...the rooms were already complete.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the room. It was completely updated.

And when I checked out in the morning...the lobby was nearly complete, although when I arrived the afternoon before it was a disaster. I didn't stay for the morning breakfast...but instead chose to go to a nearby restaurant.

But I would recommend this hotel...it's like new, and the service I had was great.

Enjoy

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Ames? Share your experiences!