“Expected better from a Marriot” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #10 of 18 hotels in Ames
Buckeye, Arizona
“Expected better from a Marriot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Hotel was clean and staff accommodating. Bed was hard and springy, like the old 80's Holiday Inn beds. I stayed in 102, which had a spa. Bathroom was the highlight of stay. Spa was clean, hot and relaxing. Biggest disappointment was the breakfast. They offered very little in the way of it. Could have waffle, boiled eggs, cereal. They had scrambled egg and breakfast sandwiches that could be microwaved. Both were horrible. Certainly need to upgrade their breakfast.

Food and bed were the big detractors here. Everything else was good.

Room Tip: Enjoyed the spa in the spa room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

64 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Missouri50
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed here to attend event at ISU. Looks like they are rehabbing the place. Not bad at all for purpose we stayed. I would not go out of my way to stay here, but I do think it is fine for the purpose we needed, which was to sleep. Be careful using mapquest, though, as their directions sent us into the middle of Ames. This hotel is not very far off I-35 but obscurred just enough to miss it at night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Gary R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Ames, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate you letting us know what you think of our property. I apologize for mapquest being incorrect and I am going to do what I can to correct this issue. I appreciate you letting us know. We strive to supply the service and accommodations that Marriott is known for. We look forward to serving your lodging needs in the near future!

Kind Regards,
San Francisco Bay Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Recently spent a night at this hotel on the outer edge of Ames.

Easy to find, right off I-35 at Hwy 30 on the South East side of Ames.
Very easy to route yourself to downtown Ames or wherever.

This Fairfield is the typical layout, design etc.. Very clean and well run. Room was clean and in great shape.

This is a solid Fairfield to stay at.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the kind words. Our entire staff works very hard to supply the superior guest service Marriot is know for. If there is ever anything that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to call!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed two nights at the Fairfield and found the hotel to be just as expected for the chain. The staff was friendly and the rooms were clean and well appointed. I was met by the check in clerk who informed me I was their "guest of the day" and received a plate of cookies...nice touch!
The complimentary breakfast was standard fair. Waffles, cold cereal, microwavable breakfast sandwiches and such.
I'll be returning to Ames in the future and I'll be staying at this hotel again, looking forward to it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Gary R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Ames, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind review. Our staff works extremely hard to supply superior guest service. It is great to see that we met your expectations. If ever we can be of further service, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Washington, D.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The room was modern. Bed was nice, big, clean. Plenty of pillows. Bathroom roomy and clean. Mini fridge and microwave in the room. A fine, free continental breakfast. Staff friendly. I have zero complaints.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Gary R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Ames, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words. We work very hard to supply superior guest service and it makes all the hard work worth it when we receive reviews from our guests like the one you supplied. We were happy to serve your lodging needs and hope to do so again in the near future.

La Crosse, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I recently stayed here for a wedding i attended with my family. The kids enjoyed the pool, and thought the breakfest was okay. But my son left his very expensive pillow specifically for his back due to chronic neck pain in our hotel room and on our way home he realised he forgot it. So i called the hotel and a lady answered I told her my situation and she said if we "find it" will return a call to you and we can have it shipped to you if you give us your credit card number. This was in the morning that i called and i never heard a word back. So i wonder if she even bothered to tell anyone. Now i know generally when someone leaves something at the hotel and forgets it its basically tough luck but our room we checked out of wasnt even cleanded yet and we called so if I dont hear a call back which i should because they know that I know my sons expensive pillow is there. Customer service isnt just when one enters your hotel from the moment they check in to the moment they check out. Its about exceeding expectatins of your customers....in doing so maybe it will generate more poitives for your reviews verses all the negatives other than that id say its a good stay for your money. So please let me know if you kept my sons pillow that i called about on hold or in some lost and found or just tossed it in the trash. Thanks

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Gary R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Ames, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you so much for taking time to write a review of our Ames Fairfield Inn & Suites. We appreciate your comments. Let me apologize for someone not getting back with you immediately. This is certainly not the way we usually do business. Let me assure you the lack of a response will be addressed with staff. We take pride in our customer service and will work at resolving any poor performance. We do have the pillow that was mentioned and we are more than happy to ship it out.

If there is ever anything else that we can do for you please let us know right away. We appreciate your business and your loyalty to Marriott. We look forward to serving your lodging needs in the future.

Yukon, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We reserved a room at Fairfield Inn in Ames, Iowa a few days in advance for the night of August 8, 2012. We checked out on the morning of the 9th and went to Cedar Rapids, Iowa where we spent the next three nights (9th, 10th & 11th) at the Holiday Inn. When we returned home, we checked our credit card charges online and discovered that we had been charged $78.35 for the 8th, which was correct; however, there were two additional charges pending by the Fairfield Inn of $100 and $78.35 both dated August 11, 2012. After making numerous calls to the hotel, the $100 charge was finally removed but the second $78.35 charge is still there. I have talked to Gary, the manager, several times and he has repeatedly promised to correct this error made by his staff. Although he has been polite and apologetic, he has not been able to fix this problem. Not only has $78.35 been erroneously charged to my credit card, but that amount caused my charges to exceed my credit card limit and I will have to pay an over-limit charge to my credit card company through no fault of my own.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Gary R, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Ames, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you so much for your response. I did speak to both the bank and the people with merchant services. They assure me that the only amount charged is the $78.35 and all other charges have been released. I was assured yesterday that there are no further charges pending. I certainly understand the concern you have but assure you that you have not been overcharged. If you do have any further issue, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,
Gary Robertson

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Ames? Share your experiences!