“Think studio Apartment” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Ames
Austin, Texas
“Think studio Apartment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

This is where I stayed for work. the internet was fast, room very clean. I was able to cook and the mattresses are comfortable, in fact it was new. The staff was friendly and helpful as well. The only negative is the elevator is slow and it could use a little tlc. It is an older hotel and is dated.

Room Tip: 3rd floor 308 was quiet with no A/C noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Iowa City, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We wound up here because we waited too long to book our hotel, and we have some special criteria. It was a bit pricey for the area, but not terrible. It was advertised as having four rooms, and it did, but they were each very small. It would work fine for long term stays, complete with refrigerator, oven, microwave and even a dishwasher. Tiny dishwasher pellets and dishwashing liquid were provided. We only wound up staying one night, and we arrived quite late, so we did not get to use these conveniences, unfortunately.

It was very clean, which is the most important thing for me. The bed was very comfortable. The breakfast was small and only OK. There were supposed to be hot foods, but they were empty when we arrived and still empty when we left. Not enough attention was paid to keeping these filled. We wound up eating oatmeal and cold cereal, which was a bit aggravating when we saw others eating eggs and sausages and kept hoping they would refill. The showers were a bit small with low-flow, but they were clean and adequate.

Did not interact with the staff, so I have nothing to say about them. I would stay again, but only if my favorite place was filled again.

Room Tip: We only stayed overnight. No tips this time; I'm sorry.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Bedford, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Terrible experience in just about every aspect. They have handicapped rooms on the third floor, which makes no sense - thankfully they haven't had a fire or anything yet. One of the windows had a black out curtain, but didn't wrap all the way around and it was so positioned that the sun came beating in through the side directly onto the bed. This gave us a lovely 6AM wake-up call on our last night of vacation. When I advised the front desk clerk, she was completely unaffected, did not apologize nor offer any retribution. I would never stay there again, there are many other, much nicer places in Ames.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We had never stayed at this chain previously and we were very pleasantly surprised! It was very clean and had a nice environment and they are pet friendly. We did not have any complaints, very satisfied.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I recently stayed at the GrandStay and loved my time there. The management is beyond terrific, and the staff is efficient and helpful. I felt very much at home there. And due to unfortunate circumstances, I didn't check in till a very late 3:00 a.m. Nonetheless, I was greeted by a kind and helpful front desk clerk. The bed was very comfortable, the facility was very clean and quiet and I would go back!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Iowa City, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I had reserved a two bedroom suite online, but when we arrived they had us in a one bedroom suite and didn't have any two bedroom ones left. So I asked for the one bedroom rate and the lady said "oh that is the one bedroom rate". I didn't buy that so I was prepared to talk to the manager at some point. Well I didn't get the chance. When I checked out the next morning the same lady said "my manager dropped your rate for the mixup". Soooo the bottom line is they did an excellent job of damage control and I would stay there again. Nice rooms, clean. On the downside, hard beds, and breakfast was so so. Overall a nice place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Shorewood, MN.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Stayed here for one night. Got a good price on Orbitz. Suite was very nice, great value. Clean, comfortable and big, Would be great for a family. Drain in shower was sluggish. Only stayed one night so I don't know if they responded to my request to fix it.. Bed was hard, no pillow top here. .Pillows were poor. All in all, a good place to stay in Ames. Directly connected to Old Chicago. Would stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
GrandStayAmes, General Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Ames, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let other travelers know about your stay at GrandStay Ames. We appreciate that you let us know about the slow drain -- you can be assured that this was fixed after you checked out. And remember . . . Old Chicago will deliver lunch or dinner directly to your room! We look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to Ames, IA!

Been to GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Ames? Share your experiences!