“Really great weekend” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Ames
Coralville
“Really great weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by our stay at the GrandStay this past weekend. The room fit our family of four (two adults, two children under 5) just perfectly. We had a separate bedroom with the children sleeping in the living area (including a pack-n-play.) We were close to our tailgating lot and to the ISU football game, so we were able to run back and forth between the hotel/tailgate/game easily. The location of the hotel: right off the interstate, attached to Old Chicago and close to the university. They do have a pool (it's definitely on the smaller side, but if your children are like mine, they love water no matter what.) The breakfast in the morning was a nice amenity as well. The service was friendly, the room was mostly clean and I'm thankful that we were able to get a room that fit our family so well the week of a home football game.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Michele C, General Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Ames, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on Trip Advisor.

We enjoy hearing from our guests and their experience at our hotel. Customer Service, cleanliness and our amenities we offer our guest is our main focus.

I'm happy to hear your experience was a good one. We are definitely in a prime location (less than 1 mile) for easy access to Iowa State University, especially Cyclone football games and tailgating. Our spacious room types gives individuals and families a comfortable experience during their stay whether staying one night or numerous nights. We have a great variety of breakfast items, as well as a swimming pool/whirlpool and sport court area in the back yard for young children.

We hope you stay with us again the next time you're in Ames for a football game and tailgating.

Michele Morales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Used an "Ames Cool Deal" so we got the room half-price which was awesome! Great breakfast, and love the separation of bedrooms. The breakfast was yummy. It was very clean and was nice to have a full kitchen for long stays. My only complain was that the walls are pretty thin. I was woken up at 1am by a drunk wedding party locked out of their room and again at 6am by the people above me, but I'm also a light sleeper. The pool was great, and Old Chicago (right next to it) was delicious! Will definitely stay there again!

Btw, the service is AWESOME! They will definitely bend over backwards for anyone!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave your response on Trip Advisor.

We appreciate hearing from our guests and their experience at our hotel. We take pride in our hotel, the cleanliness and the amenities we offer. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and you took advantage of the "cool" deals" promotion we had going on at the time.

We apologize for the noise issues during your stay due to the wedding party staying that weekend. We would've been happy to take care of this issue right away. Kindly bring this issue to our attention and we would be happy to take care of it for you or anyone.

We look forward to your stay with us again in the future. We will definitely be doing a "cool deals" promotion next year again.

Michele Morales
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

Location was perfect for our visit to the university. Check-in was fast and friendly. Breakfast was great. Room was very clean, nice layout with the seperate bedrooms and livingroom. There was an "Old Chicago" which came in very handy. I will be staying here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Michele C, General Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Ames, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor about your stay with us at the GrandStay Residential Suites in Ames, Iowa. We greatly appreciate your feedback/comments and we're happy to know we exceeded your expectations. We take pride in what we offer our guests each and everyday.
Our location is definitely a plus when visiting Iowa State University and/or any other great locations in Ames. We are within walking distance to many great restaurants and shopping.
We look forward to your stay with us again in the future. Please spread the word about GrandStay Residential Suites and all our great amenities.

Thank you so much!

Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

The rooms a large. A separate bedroom, living area with fold out couch and a nice kitchenette. They have a nice self serve breakfast and there is an indoor swimming pool. Restaurants are across the parking lot. Easy access to the University and the downtown area.

We compared prices and the GrandStay gave us the most for our money.

Room Tip: Get a room above and away from the swimming pool.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
GrandStayAmes, General Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Ames, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.
We greatly appreciate your feedback and we are happy to hear our hotel exceeded your expectations. We take pride in our hotel and the ammenities we offer to our guests. Our hotel is in a great location to many restaurants and one of the closest hotels to Iowa State University. We look forward to your stay with us again in the near futue.
Thank you again!
Mankato, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

The rooms are great, the hotel is great, but the staff really takes the cake at this hotel. Actually, they deserve a cake for how much they care about the guests, and making sure the hotel is perfect for everyone. Hats off to the best hotel in Ames!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
GrandStayAmes, General Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Ames, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
I just want to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.
We appreciate your kind words and happy to hear our staff made your stay enjoyable.
We look forward to your stay with us again in the near future.

La Mesa, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

I prepaid, booked my regular room months in advance only to be told when I checked in that the only room available was a handicap room. Unless you are handicapped this is not the ideal configuration. I was told if I did not like it I could go elsewhere. I stayed due the fact I had prepaid the room. The next day I spoke to a gal at the front desk who said yes there were other rooms available but if I wanted to change I had to move out by 10AM and could not move back into a room until 3PM. REMEMBER I HAD PREPAID my stay. I was supposed to pack up all my things put them back in my rental car and come back at 3PM. UNACCEPTABLE! First the man lied about other rooms not being available, then I was supposed to fully move out of my current room and be in "limbo" until check in time at 3PM. I will never be back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
GrandStayAmes, General Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Ames, responded to this review, July 20, 2011
I'm concerned about the lack of service and mix up of rooms you experienced at our hotel a year ago. The degree of service you experienced is unacceptable, and please be assured that many things have changed in the hotel the last year including staff and management . It's unfortunate you had a bad experience. Please accept my sincere apology.

We would like to demonstrate the true quality of our service by extending to you a one-night complimentary stay, subject to availability. At your convenience, please contact me directly to arrange your reservation; and simply present this letter to the front desk staff upon check-in.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. There's no excuse for anything less than complete guest satisfaction. That's our goal.

We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Alicia Roufs
Montpelier, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

Excellent, if your in Ames, stay in this hotel! Staff makes you feel like your at home! Will stay here again as soon as I can!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
GrandStayAmes, General Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Ames, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. I am very glad that your stay was a positive one. It's guests like you that make our jobs worthwhile. I hope you will be back soon to the Grandstay Ames. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Alicia Roufs

Been to GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Ames? Share your experiences!