“Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Ames
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

Location was perfect for our visit to the university. Check-in was fast and friendly. Breakfast was great. Room was very clean, nice layout with the seperate bedrooms and livingroom. There was an "Old Chicago" which came in very handy. I will be staying here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Michele C, General Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Ames, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor about your stay with us at the GrandStay Residential Suites in Ames, Iowa. We greatly appreciate your feedback/comments and we're happy to know we exceeded your expectations. We take pride in what we offer our guests each and everyday.
Our location is definitely a plus when visiting Iowa State University and/or any other great locations in Ames. We are within walking distance to many great restaurants and shopping.
We look forward to your stay with us again in the future. Please spread the word about GrandStay Residential Suites and all our great amenities.

Thank you so much!

Michele Clements

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

The rooms a large. A separate bedroom, living area with fold out couch and a nice kitchenette. They have a nice self serve breakfast and there is an indoor swimming pool. Restaurants are across the parking lot. Easy access to the University and the downtown area.

We compared prices and the GrandStay gave us the most for our money.

Room Tip: Get a room above and away from the swimming pool.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
GrandStayAmes, General Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Ames, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.
We greatly appreciate your feedback and we are happy to hear our hotel exceeded your expectations. We take pride in our hotel and the ammenities we offer to our guests. Our hotel is in a great location to many restaurants and one of the closest hotels to Iowa State University. We look forward to your stay with us again in the near futue.
Thank you again!
Mankato, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

The rooms are great, the hotel is great, but the staff really takes the cake at this hotel. Actually, they deserve a cake for how much they care about the guests, and making sure the hotel is perfect for everyone. Hats off to the best hotel in Ames!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
GrandStayAmes, General Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Ames, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
I just want to thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.
We appreciate your kind words and happy to hear our staff made your stay enjoyable.
We look forward to your stay with us again in the near future.

La Mesa, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

I prepaid, booked my regular room months in advance only to be told when I checked in that the only room available was a handicap room. Unless you are handicapped this is not the ideal configuration. I was told if I did not like it I could go elsewhere. I stayed due the fact I had prepaid the room. The next day I spoke to a gal at the front desk who said yes there were other rooms available but if I wanted to change I had to move out by 10AM and could not move back into a room until 3PM. REMEMBER I HAD PREPAID my stay. I was supposed to pack up all my things put them back in my rental car and come back at 3PM. UNACCEPTABLE! First the man lied about other rooms not being available, then I was supposed to fully move out of my current room and be in "limbo" until check in time at 3PM. I will never be back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
GrandStayAmes, General Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Ames, responded to this review, July 20, 2011
I'm concerned about the lack of service and mix up of rooms you experienced at our hotel a year ago. The degree of service you experienced is unacceptable, and please be assured that many things have changed in the hotel the last year including staff and management . It's unfortunate you had a bad experience. Please accept my sincere apology.

We would like to demonstrate the true quality of our service by extending to you a one-night complimentary stay, subject to availability. At your convenience, please contact me directly to arrange your reservation; and simply present this letter to the front desk staff upon check-in.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. There's no excuse for anything less than complete guest satisfaction. That's our goal.

We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Montpelier, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

Excellent, if your in Ames, stay in this hotel! Staff makes you feel like your at home! Will stay here again as soon as I can!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
GrandStayAmes, General Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Ames, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. I am very glad that your stay was a positive one. It's guests like you that make our jobs worthwhile. I hope you will be back soon to the Grandstay Ames. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Gulfport, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

This property is in a Great location. Walking distance to everything - Kmart, movies, and restaurants ( Red lobster, Applebees, Old Chicago,and Japanese steakhouse.)
The staff is like family.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to write us a review. We strive to make every guest feel welcomed and at home and I am very happy we were able to do so. We hope you will be able to make a trip back to Ames very soon. Thank you and enjoy the rest of your day!
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

Centrally located, spacious room with equipped kitchenette. Clean rooms. Bad pillows, average bed. The worse part about this 2nd time I stayed here was the noise neighbor had next door. The walls that divide the rooms are SO THIN that I could hear the next door neighbor for 3 nights in a row coughing ALL NIGHT. that was awful. No gym available but they give you options.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
GrandStayAmes, General Manager at GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Ames, responded to this review, March 24, 2011
I'm concerned about the bad night you experienced at our hotel during your recent visit. Thank you for taking the time to supply us feedback. It’s disappointing to learn that you're unhappy. Please accept my sincere apology.

Please know that we take concerns of our guest very seriously and will do our best to prevent problems from recurring. Therefore, I'd like you to give us another chance by staying with us again during your next visit to this area. I can offer you a 20% discount next time you stay. Just call and ask for the General Manager when you book. Thank you again for your time.

Alicia Roufs-General Manager