“Traditional Italian” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Ames, Iowa, United States
“Traditional Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I really enjoy the food, staff, and atmosphere here. There is plenty of seating overlooking the historic main street from their upper dining room. Several food choices ranging from appetizers, pasta, and pizza. A lot of fresh organic produce comes from the owners' local garden. Several banquet room options for parties.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

San Antonio, Texas
“If these are your Family's Recipes, please visit and Olive Garden and get some new ones”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

I don't want to be mean to Ames, Iowa, but this was such a promising resturaunt, we were very sad about the food. Located in the historic downtown disctict of Ames, Lucullan's states it gets organic produce from its own Garden... so my spouse asked: Why didn't they use some herbs from the Garden on thei food? It was the most bland thing I have ever eaten since I visitied a relative at the nursing home and had lunch with them.

Lets recap: Bread was served - a bit doughy and undercooked bread (bread oven wasn't hot enough) with a dish of olive oil that had a DASH of peper in it -- no salt and no garlic, just a dash of pepper -- hence it tasted like straight oil.

The lasagna lacked any sodium as well. And no Oregeno or Basil, either. Just tomatoes, pasta and cheese.

I don't understand why everything was so crazy bland.

Plus for having house wines, kids menu and free deserts for kids.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Good spot for a group”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

Food was really good, service excellent. Was with a group if 13 ( odyssey).

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Milford, Iowa
“Class it up”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

My family is in Ames A LOT because of the college but we don't go downtown very often. I had not been in Lucullan's since my graduation party in 1980. We went on a Wednesday night and had a hard time finding a place to park, then had a hard time knowing where to go once inside. So we found the stairs, nothing special there. Got upstairs and no one greeted us so we found a place to sit. It is nicely decorated and the server greeted us. The menu is varied and expensive. OK, it was our 31st anniversary so we didn't mind, but I would not choose it as a regular place to eat. It was somewhat dark inside and that was with daylight outside. The server took our order and was not slow, but didn't mention any specials. The food took a little while, and in the meantime, the server did NOT come to see if we needed drinks refilled or more bread. The bread IS excellent. Our food arrived and was also excellent. In my opinion, the service and atmosphere need to be "classed up". I remember more plants and better lighting. The servers attire could be upscaled to match the very good food at higher prices. In addition, the music playing did not match the overall flavor of the restaurant. Also INSTALL AN ELEVATOR or have seating downstairs for those who cannot go upstairs. We only saw seating for large groups downstairs. Most all restaurants in Ames are busy any night of the week. This one was not. Too bad; the food is great.

• Visited May 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boone, Iowa
“Save $30 stay home & eat Hunts..Not Handicap Accessible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

By far the worst of all the places we have eaten in Ames. It is up two flights of stairs, the carpet is threadbare and tacky looking, for what they charge they certainly should have better carpet!

We waited 30 minutes to get our orders taken (no one else in the restaurant) and another 45 minutes to get our two orders of plain spagetti with marinara sauce and one chicken sandwhich straight from TV dinner status. The spagetti was awful, absolutely no spices or flavor, a .99 cent can of Hunts Spagetti sauce is much tastier and more satisfying than this stuff was. Salad dressing came straight from a bottle and my husband could barely choke down the frozen chicken sandwich.

Apparantly this place has gone through a change of cooks since the reviews of a couple years ago. Nothing about this place was good.

We have not found a good Italian place in Ames, I think a Spagetti Works would do a fortune here. Otherwise the spagetti at Old Chicago is the best to be found in Ames.

• Visited April 2012