“Battles is the Best BBQ you will ever have! TY George!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
Ames, Iowa
“Battles is the Best BBQ you will ever have! TY George!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

I have lived in Ames most of my life. I knew George the owner and talked with him many times over a big beef brisket sandwich with a pickle and chips. My BBQ experience has and always will be compared with this man's amazing meat smoking techniques. His sauce is awesome and his wifes sweet potato pie is uncomparable. This is what BBQ should be. Honest, good homestyle cooking with love. Thank you Battles for continuing a family tradition I now feed my kids.

Visited June 2011

Boone, Iowa
“Hot Sauce is to Die for.......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

Give yourself plenty of time, you'll likely stand in line. Hub & I had the Turkey Sandwich, I loved the sauce, but the turkey could have used more smoke. The beans were yummy! Son had the Beef and he said it just melted in his mouth (mild sauce). We were under a time constrant, so couldn't really do it justice, but we will definitely be back!

• Visited January 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Iowa
“Great BBQ in a hidden place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

Battle's is one of my all time favorite restaurants. Located near campus, but off the main road, once you find it, they have you hooked. They serve their sandwiches with either mild or hot BBQ sauce, and regular potato chips and a pickle! Good price and small dining atmosphere. ALSO available for take-out!

Iowa
“Better than Hickory Park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2008

My favorite place to eat in Ames. I love the barbeque sauce, and fresh squeezed lemonade, with free refills!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Best down-home pit barbeque you'll ever eat--guaranteed.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

Best down-home pit barbeque you'll ever eat--guaranteed.