We were in Ames for ISU orientation. Check in very slow by attendant who wouldn't crack a smile or offer a greeting. In the morning,breakfast area had four tables, 3 of which were occupied by a group of Seniors who were camped out for more than an hour. (They were there when we went down to the lobby to get coffee in the morning since there is no in-room option and they were still there after we left for the day.)The other guests stood around balancing paper plates and cups in the motel doorway. It was odd.
Breakfast was very ho-hum--muffins, yogurt, bread, rock hard biscuits and cold sausage gravy. I guess heating it up before dumping in a crock pot it too much to ask.Whoever designed this eating area obviously hasn't used it The Microtel napkins are Micro-sized and tucked in a congested corner beyond the coffee--in order to reach a napkin, you had to wait while people prepared their coffee, creamer, sugar, and toast. This is also where the unsmiling desk clerk had to stand to make and refresh the coffee pots. And the people standing eating were licking their fingers as a result. Even the little plates don't fit into the cut-out for the trash in the counter. What were they thinking? In a service industry, these things count.
The lobby curtains were white with dust.
Room layout had the sink outside the bathroom, though it was also Micro-sized. We set up the ironing board for additional counter space. The mirrored wall and overheard fluorescent lights in the sleeping area are also very unusual. Carpet was filthy both in traffic areas and around baseboards--and wet from a leaking refrigerator--but the bed was comfortable.
AC unit was very loud and cycled often; highway traffic was loud, but not bothersome. We would have opened the window, but the screen was shredded on one side.
So this was convenient--but we will keep looking for other options in the area. We have been in similarly priced hotels in small towns for soccer tournaments the last three weekends. The competition does better.
- Also Known As:
- Microtel Inn & Suites Ames Hotel Ames
- Microtel Inn And Suites Ames
- Microtel Inn & Suites Ames Hotel
- Microtel Ames
- Ames Microtel
- Microtel Inn & Suites By Wyndham Ames Iowa
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Wyndham, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Tingo, Otel, Fareportal , Venere and HotelsClick so you can book your Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Ames reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.