We were in Ames for ISU orientation. Check in very slow by attendant who wouldn't crack a smile or offer a greeting. In the morning,breakfast area had four tables, 3 of which were occupied by a group of Seniors who were camped out for more than an hour. (They were there when we went down to the lobby to get coffee in the morning since there is no in-room option and they were still there after we left for the day.)The other guests stood around balancing paper plates and cups in the motel doorway. It was odd.
Breakfast was very ho-hum--muffins, yogurt, bread, rock hard biscuits and cold sausage gravy. I guess heating it up before dumping in a crock pot it too much to ask.Whoever designed this eating area obviously hasn't used it The Microtel napkins are Micro-sized and tucked in a congested corner beyond the coffee--in order to reach a napkin, you had to wait while people prepared their coffee, creamer, sugar, and toast. This is also where the unsmiling desk clerk had to stand to make and refresh the coffee pots. And the people standing eating were licking their fingers as a result. Even the little plates don't fit into the cut-out for the trash in the counter. What were they thinking? In a service industry, these things count.
The lobby curtains were white with dust.
Room layout had the sink outside the bathroom, though it was also Micro-sized. We set up the ironing board for additional counter space. The mirrored wall and overheard fluorescent lights in the sleeping area are also very unusual. Carpet was filthy both in traffic areas and around baseboards--and wet from a leaking refrigerator--but the bed was comfortable.
AC unit was very loud and cycled often; highway traffic was loud, but not bothersome. We would have opened the window, but the screen was shredded on one side.
So this was convenient--but we will keep looking for other options in the area. We have been in similarly priced hotels in small towns for soccer tournaments the last three weekends. The competition does better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Non-Smoking Hotel Close to Iowa State University and Stephens Auditorium Whether traveling for business or pleasure, enjoy affordable rates and warm comfort at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Ames hotel in central Iowa. Our recently renovated, smoke-free Ames, Iowa, hotel near Iowa State University is close to local attractions and outdoor fun. After a cozy sleep on our new bedding, look forward to free continental breakfast. Plan your day using free Wi-Fi Internet access, read your free newspaper or work out in the fitness center. Take advantage of other perks like 24-hour front desk service and guest laundry facilities. Some hotel rooms feature 32-inch flat-screen TVs, microwaves, refrigerators and sofa beds. We offer spacious suites as well as non-smoking and handicapped-accessible rooms at our pet-friendly Ames, Iowa, hotel. Take advantage of free parking and electrical outlets in our lot. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Wyndham, Odigeo, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz and Low Cost Holidays so you can book your Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Ames reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Microtel Inn And Suites Ames
- Microtel Inn & Suites Ames Hotel Ames
- Microtel Ames
- Ames Microtel
- Microtel Inn & Suites By Wyndham Ames Iowa