“Good hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Ames
“Good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

The room was nice and staff was very friendly!! Breakfast choices were subpar but ok compared to nothing - the pool was ok, small and no hottub. Would recommend for the price and the location right off if the interstate and distance from Des Moines.

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
West Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I had very low expectations for our stay here and even those weren't low enough. We were in Ames for a graduation and never would have chosen this motel ourselves, but family members had reserved a block of rooms, and we felt it would be rude to stay elsewhere. As you read this, please bear in mind that our two-night stay cost more than $300.

First, although the rooms had been reserved for months, the staff gave away one of our rooms because a party arrived who couldn't handle stairs (the motel has no elevator). So, some of our family were shuffled to the second floor, splitting up our group.

Then, when handing me our key cards, the woman at the front desk loudly declared my room number for all to hear––a potential safety issue no matter where you are.

When we opened the door to our room, we literally took a step back because it stunk so badly. The musty/stale smell was almost overpowering, so we immediately opened our window. Unfortunately that wasn't an option for the entire stay because we were on the ground floor and the motel was next to a busy road––so safety and noise issues prevailed. The smell actually woke me up a couple of times because it permeated everything. I must add that it was our choice to stay near family and not to ask for a different room. Given that it was graduation weekend, we assumed it would have been difficult to accommodate a request for a different room anyway.

Then we had a difficult time getting our suitcase into the room because the carpet was rolling up in front of it. Not good first impressions.

When I washed my face, the washcloth had two quarter-sized holes in it. How do you fold something and miss that? And speaking of thin...if there is such a thing as ½-ply toilet paper and tissues, that’s what they use.

I will say that the front desk staff were helpful in getting an iron and ironing board to our room. However, the first iron didn't work. Also, given that the woman who brought the ironing board was looking for a place to hang it, we figured some rooms must have come already equipped with an ironing board and iron. We also discovered some members of our group had mini refrigerators. We didn't and wished we had. This hit-or-miss amenities set-up is poor business.

When we went to breakfast the next morning, I asked a housekeeping staff for a "do not disturb" sign because we didn't have one and we didn't want anyone in the room while we were eating. Breakfast was OK––mostly carbs.

It was inconvenient to have breakfast end at 9:00, especially on weekends. That might be nice for staff to get it over and done, but several of our party arrived very late the previous evening, so making it to breakfast on time was difficult.

Our family group remained in the breakfast room until about 10:00. We went to our room, changed clothes, and left at 10:45, making sure to take the "do not disturb" sign off the door. I left a tip for the housekeeping staff and placed it by the note asking them to see if they could do something about the terrible smell. (It seemed to be exacerbated by the air conditioning unit.)

We got back at about 2:30 to change our clothes again. The room still hadn't been made up, but we figured it was a busy graduation weekend, so surely they'd clean the room and address the stench problem later that day.

At the graduation party, some of us began comparing our experiences and everyone said their rooms stunk, so we began to suspect we would just have to live with it.

Imagine our surprise when we got back at 8:00 and the room still hadn't been cleaned. My husband told the front desk staff. The response was “it was a hectic weekend,” and they asked if we'd had a "do not disturb" sign out. We had––until 10:45––and the housekeeping staff stayed until 1:00. They just plain messed up. We were offered $10 off our bill to make up for it. When my husband said that was not satisfactory, he was told the only option was to speak to the manager the next morning.

When we got up to leave the next morning, the manager still hadn't arrived, so no one had any power to do anything. Granted, we left at 7:00 (skipping breakfast and opting to get something decent on the road), but if a business insists that guests have to have breakfast done by 9:00, then either a manager should be there plenty early or employees should be empowered to provide customer satisfaction.

When we got home, we washed every article of clothing we had––even the unused ones in the suitcase––to get rid of the smell. We were extremely unhappy with the experience and will never stay there again, even if it means not being close to family.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Duluth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

evening front end staff was excellent. no one around in the morning when we wanted to check out. no one keeping up breakfast room either. out of coffee for a long time.
there is only one restaurant (Mexican) within walking distance and 5-6 motels. This one was $10 cheaper than Super 8. Pool not operational.
Large room, very clean, strong shower, lots of large, fluffy towels.
Noise until 1 a.m.and other neighbors up at 5. Doors slam noisily.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Bloomington, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I recently stayed at the hotel and there was bed bugs in my room. I was offered to move to a different room but I honestly didn't want to stay in the hotel. However it was really late and the guy behind the front desk seemed he was having trouble with the computer. I ended up in a smaller room with stains on the sheets. Breakfast was ok. I was surprise they wash their dishes in the sink though. Very unappealing.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Bansri A, Manager at Econo Lodge Ames, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thank you for taking your valuable time out and providing us with your feedback .I apologize for your experience, I did research on your case and unfortunately we did not find any such complaint reported to front desk or housekeeping staff during the reported stay period. However, you would be glad to know that we did conduct through check through a professional pest control company and we did not find any problem with any of our recently rented rooms. We take our customers comfort and safety very seriously and follow all health rules and regulations diligently. We definitely want to make this right with you and would like to get more information from you, please feel free to contact me directly through Motel Phone or via Email : Econolodgeames@gmail.com
Camdenton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Christmas Day in a college town- room, property, and breakfast better than the Quality Inn next door that we moved from- and significantly cheaper. A very nice surprise considering the place of Econolodge in the Choice Hotel group.

Room Tip: Avoid the pet wing if you aren't travelling with one.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Bansri A, Manager at Econo Lodge Ames, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you very much for providing us the feedback. It is very important to see how our guest felt about their stay and I am very glad that we were able to meet your expectations.we would love to have you come back and stay with us in future when you are in this area again to provide you with even better service and Stay. Thank you and have a wonderful New Year :)
Vincent,Ia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Room was small with bed almost up against the wall on one side. Air conditioner/heating unit was extremely noisy. Traffic noise was very loud. The room we got was not what we were promised on our confirmation. We got a full size bed instead of a king size.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest- I apologize for any inconvenience during your stay with us. We definitely want to make this right with you please feel free to contact me at the hotel # 515-233-6060.I would be more than glad to resolve this issue and see if there was any misunderstanding as all we have for room types is either Queen or Kings.It would be our pleasure to have to you stay with us again when you are around, for a much better experience. Thank you for providing us your feedback, as it helps us immensely.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

If you are looking for a clean, reasonably priced hotel in the Ames area, look no more. The Econo Lodge Hotel has definitely won me over. I work construction for a living, staying sometimes up to a year at a time at different locations in Iowa. I have stayed at the Econo Lodge four nights a week for the last 3 1/2 months, and will continue for the next 4 or 5 months. The rates are very reasonable, the rooms are always clean, the staff is always more than friendly, and I have no reason to even look elsewhere. There are 4 access points into the building, so you never have to far to walk to get to your room or vehicle. There is a large swimming pool, vending, beverages, laundry, free wireless internet, free cable, and a decent continental breakfast each morning from 6am to 9am. Did I mention that some of the rooms have a small refrigerators and microwaves, and the water pressure is great, and there is always hot water? How about the fact that the coffee is always on? Here's another benefit that most people don't consider: there is very little noise or sound transmission through the walls or ceilings. This hotel was built the right way 25 years ago, and it is in better shape than some 5 year old hotels that I have stayed in. The solid brick walls were very impressive last summer when I rode out a late day thunderstorm with 60+ mph winds. The last thing I would like to say is that I wouldn't waste my time writing a review for anything if I didn't honestly and sincerely believe in what I am saying. Some people have agendas that include writing bad reviews and trying to get refunds anyway they can. That ends up hurting good people, and often misrepresents the truth. Trust me folks, Look No Farther than the Ames Econo Lodge!!!
Mike S.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Bansri A, General Manager at Econo Lodge Ames, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Mike, Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule and providing us with the feedback. It always feels good to know that we are providing satisfactory service to our loyal guests. we will try whatever it is needed to keep your faith in us and having you stay with us.Thanks a Billion!!

Been to Econo Lodge Ames? Share your experiences!