“I stay weekly it is very clean and friendly” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Ames
Ottumwa, Iowa
“I stay weekly it is very clean and friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The people are very friendly and care about their customers it is very clean and if you need something they get it for you right away we stay here by the week we go home on Fridays and return on Sunday

Room Tip: The rooms are very clean and the employees are very friendly
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
West Bend, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I was in town alone on business, and booked a room here because it seemed to be one of the last available ahead of an approaching snowstorm. Although I was somewhat leery of what I might find coming in, I must admit I was very satisfied. While I sometimes find that when the management is from a different culture than mine, they may not grasp what it takes to give me a satisfying experience, that was not the case here. The friendliness and helpfulness of the staff was exceptional, and my room was clean and reasonably comfortable. The pool room was simple and lacked a hot tub, but the pool was larger than expected and at a comfortable temperature. I swam for about a half hour (around 9 PM) and had the pool all to myself the entire time. The pool was somewhat isolated at the end of the building, so security is a potential issue --- I felt a bit of a need to stay alert myself, so I would be reluctant to send my daughter to the pool without supervision. They do not have a fitness room, but the breakfast options were relatively expansive for a budget motel. They offered waffles and biscuits & gravy in addition to the normal toasts and cereals. One small downside was that the juice machine was out of orange juice, so I had to settle for a "HI-C" type of drink instead. Overall, though, I was very satisfied, especially for the price paid.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Lombard, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Never stay here. Went in to find out we were assigned last room available and was smoking, we first couldnt find our foom and never were told we were in a seperate building that did not attatch to second floor hauling our luggage back and forth looking for room, the smoke detector was hanging from the ceiling on a wire and we called to change rooms- there were no others, we were offered a refund if we chose to stay at another hotel and went back downstairs front desk to receive our refund. Couple days later the manager slapped the charge back on our credit card saying there will be no refund, we are still in dispute with credit card company, Manager is rude and not accomodating, says lots for the hotel now and how they care about ones well being, they only are out for money running a complete dump. I'ts outdated - smelly and worst in Ames area, avoid if all possible.

Room Tip: There are many others that are nice Country Inn and Suites, Quality Inn and Suites, Holiday Inn
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Eatontown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

This hotel was very nice and the price was also great! The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. It's also a quick ride to downtown Ames which is nice to go out to and have dinner and drinks. I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
PuertoRico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

The hotel is very clean, the room was spacious and beds super comfortable. For the price you pay it is a good deal. Breakfast, well, continental but my grandkids were thrilled for they made their own waffles. I think on weekends they should extend the breakfast time, sort of start and end a little bit later, like from 7 to 10 instead of 6-9 AM. On weekends people usually sleeps more. Ames is a small city so everything is close, restaurants, shops, etc. Overall, a good experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Ames, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Booked 2 rooms for my folks to stay during June, 2012. Knowing that we would be busy and only needing a place to sleep, we decided to try this Econo Lodge. Crossed our fingers and hoped we would not be disappointed! We were not disappointed. Very satisfied.

Keep in mind that this is an older hotel and the rooms are a bit smaller, and it is far from roomy --but - from what I could tell, it was clean, clean, clean. Hallways and common areas well maintained. Beds, bathrooms, pool area - nice and clean. Front desk area, inviting and clean.

Parking lot area, well lit and safe feeling. The only negative thing was that at 8:20 am, the breakfast was all gone, which was a bit disappointing since it was supposed to go until 9 am. They should have looked at how booked the hotel was and planned better for food, but - who knows, there could have been rooms full of teens that over indulged and ate all the food. Who knows, but it was disappointing since it was only a continental breakfast. Panera close by so we got bagels. Again, you pay bigger price for bigger breakfast, so this wasn't a huge issue, just disappointing.

TV worked, A/C worked - room was great. Had a fridge and microwave in it too.

Will stay again because it was cheap, clean and staff very pleasant.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Hume
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

This Econo Lodge is a great place to stay! They are courteous and welcoming. The rooms were very clean and well kept. Free wi-fi and continental breakfast. Hard to beat for this price range!! Also, the beds were very comfortable!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge Ames? Share your experiences!