“Great stay, great price at the Econo Lodge in Ames IA” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Ames
Eatontown, New Jersey
“Great stay, great price at the Econo Lodge in Ames IA”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

This hotel was very nice and the price was also great! The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. It's also a quick ride to downtown Ames which is nice to go out to and have dinner and drinks. I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
PuertoRico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

The hotel is very clean, the room was spacious and beds super comfortable. For the price you pay it is a good deal. Breakfast, well, continental but my grandkids were thrilled for they made their own waffles. I think on weekends they should extend the breakfast time, sort of start and end a little bit later, like from 7 to 10 instead of 6-9 AM. On weekends people usually sleeps more. Ames is a small city so everything is close, restaurants, shops, etc. Overall, a good experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Ames, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Booked 2 rooms for my folks to stay during June, 2012. Knowing that we would be busy and only needing a place to sleep, we decided to try this Econo Lodge. Crossed our fingers and hoped we would not be disappointed! We were not disappointed. Very satisfied.

Keep in mind that this is an older hotel and the rooms are a bit smaller, and it is far from roomy --but - from what I could tell, it was clean, clean, clean. Hallways and common areas well maintained. Beds, bathrooms, pool area - nice and clean. Front desk area, inviting and clean.

Parking lot area, well lit and safe feeling. The only negative thing was that at 8:20 am, the breakfast was all gone, which was a bit disappointing since it was supposed to go until 9 am. They should have looked at how booked the hotel was and planned better for food, but - who knows, there could have been rooms full of teens that over indulged and ate all the food. Who knows, but it was disappointing since it was only a continental breakfast. Panera close by so we got bagels. Again, you pay bigger price for bigger breakfast, so this wasn't a huge issue, just disappointing.

TV worked, A/C worked - room was great. Had a fridge and microwave in it too.

Will stay again because it was cheap, clean and staff very pleasant.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Hume
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

This Econo Lodge is a great place to stay! They are courteous and welcoming. The rooms were very clean and well kept. Free wi-fi and continental breakfast. Hard to beat for this price range!! Also, the beds were very comfortable!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Fairfax, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

Front desk person had one screaming baby in the office and another child playing in lobby. Room had not been swept,had 2 queen beds,peanuts in the sheets of one, not sure if they fell out of the maid's mouth when she was cleaning or if they were from previous visitor, either way, slept in other bed that had no food remnants. Bathroom sink stopped up when I brushed my teeth. Dirty ice bucket,lights and TV remote.
Wakeup call came 50 minutes late, of course, wasn't expecting much so had set alarm on my phone.
Will say the snack and drink machines have good options.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Des Moines, IA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

Let me just say that I didn't expect to get a free breakfast from an Econo Lodge when I only paid about $50 per night. It was mostly continental stuff (cereal, bagels, toast) but did have a waffle maker with pre-made batter, which looked great, but I didn't try. Another pleasant surprise was that it had free wi-fi, which worked great!

The room was clean, and seemed to have been recently updated. The only slightly negative thing was that the bathroom door seemed kind of worn, and the outside hallway was a little dark...far from a problem for me since I just wanted a decent place to sleep. The TV was great...better than the one I have at home, I think. Probably 32" flat screen, maybe a bit smaller. I did hear soft footsteps occasionally from the room above me, but it wasn't loud enough that it would wake me if I had been asleep. I never heard any other noises from other rooms like TVs or conversation and I think the hotel was pretty full. The front staff was very nice and helpful. The pool was pretty basic. I didn't use it but it looked clean.

It's located right off of Hwy 30, just west of I-35. Iowa State is a 5-10 minute drive, and downtown Ames is only about 5 minutes away. It's kind of far off the the beaten path, but there are lots of other hotels springing up in the area, and there was at least 1 restaurant and a convenience store down the street.

Overall, I was very happy with my stay!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Calmar, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

We stayed at the Econolodge for our daughter's graduation from ISU. Our family is large and we have several small children in the group. They offered us their hospitality room for a mere $40. It was a good sized room with comfortable furniture and all the kitchen utilities that we needed. The whole place was clean and friendly. They were exceptionally nice and helpful. We were up late visiting, playing games and laughing. There was not one request from staff to keep it down. Breakfast the next morning was great and again the staff was very pleasant and helpful. I'm not sure I would stay anywhere else in Ames.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge Ames? Share your experiences!