“Great for the price.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 18 hotels in Ames
Muscatine, Iowa
“Great for the price.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I had a very helpful desk clerk. I was upgraded to a suite free of charge for being a frequent visitor. Breakfast was hot early which was appreciated. The hotel had a good television channel selection.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I stayed at this location once prior in July and had a very dissapointing stay. The manager called me with concerns I had and said she was taking care of them. I asked what she did to take care of the problem, she then asked me my name???? I told her and then spelled it out. Apperently she thought I was rude and gave me a "SHEEESH!" I waited a few months after that and stayed one week with a great room and great staff members I met there. So... I stayed a second week, I am 6'3" and can see above the shower surround. It appeared dirty/scummy/mildewy. There were finger nail clippings on the floor when I arrived. I took one of their washclothes to the top of surround and cleaned a section of approx 20" I waited the next day to see if they would rectify on it's own. The floor was not vacuumed and the shower had not been cleaned either. I called the front desk and talked to John (great with guests) and he transfered me to manager Sarah Litweller , to who I requested to come to the room to look at problems. She sent John who alledgedly gave her a report. I heard nothing back from her until after I sent corprate an email complaint. Jay from corprate called today and confered with me, I told him I would never stay there or my coworkers until Sarah is no longer at this facility. Americinns are usually great facilities with great management. Sorry AmericInn,, This location is a bust. Let the manager go her way and update the parking lot, Housekeeping apperently needs more time alloted per room to get the job done right or give each housekeeper a set of rooms for "pride of ownership". I will not do business at this location, however will continue to frequent other AmericInns without prejudice.

Room Tip: 218 was great room!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Pordenone, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stay here 3 weeks for work. Taking in consideration all the points,hotel is ok for the price that they ask. Some bad points: staff is not so friendly, ther's an "old" smell in the room and two times my sheets was not so clean, internet connection doesn't work all the day and when work was too slow(I called reception a lot of time for that reason but they never fhe problem)ix t. Some good points: position is good, parking is big, there's a nice swimming pool with jacuzzi.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Windsor Heights
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed in Room 132 and woke up the next morning to find bed bugs!! Took some in an envelope up to the front desk girl -- no manager was on site. But I guess she was made aware of the situation. I realize this can happen anywhere but don't want it happening to ME! Very very disgusting. We took precautions not to bring any home with us but if we discover that we did in fact bring some home with us, the Americinn in Ames WILL be hearing from us.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Duluth, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We loved the great motel staff, young, bright, friendly, helpful.
Our room was a typical two queens. The mattresses seemed old and not very comfortable. While everything was clean, the fixtures, like faucets and such were worn and unsightly. The whole room looked like it had received no maintenance since it was built. The lobby was very nice.
Breakfast was mediocre, coffee not worth drinking. We used to enjoy Americinns but have been disappointed recently.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Hotel staff was very friendly, everything was clean, lots of amenities were offered. Swimming pool and hot tub room was large and clean, and it even included a pool table. Easy access to Iowa State University, avoiding the traffic after football games. Would definately stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Had a recent stay....Sunday July 16th, Monday July 17th. Checked out Tuesday July 18th. rooms 121 and 201.

I cant believe anyone would try to run a comfortable lodging experience with the air conditioning capability (or lack thereof) in the lobby and upper level hallway outside of 2nd story rooms. The air temps were very uncomfortable....and impacted the ability to keep the suite comfortable....ie the sofa area room of Room 201. Could not have anyone sleep in that room..had to run the air on full blast in other room (and freeze in that room) to make the other room even close to tolerable.

Additionallly, we had to wait 15 minutes to check in sunday eve the 16th...the sink in room had to have a plunger replaced...we had to ask for towels Monday afternoon......car was pinned in by buses in the parking lot tuesday AM so had to track them down to move their damn buses.....due to the mycogen seed corn event.

overall, not impressed with the stay and for good reason. careful not to trip on the sidewalk that is heaving up with cracks and uneven surface.

Room Tip: dont stay on the 2nd floor!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to AmericInn Ames? Share your experiences!