“Clean, comfortable, but no complimentary breakfast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Ames Conference Center At Isu

You added Holiday Inn Ames Conference Center At Isu to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Ames Conference Center At Isu
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2609 University Blvd, Ames, IA 50010 (Formerly Comfort Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Ames
West Lafayette, Indiana
“Clean, comfortable, but no complimentary breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

This hotel was easy to find, just off Hwy 30 on the south side of Ames. The folks at the check-in were very polite. My room was clean and spacious; king-size bed (comfortable w/ choice of firm or soft pillows), flat-screen TV, dresser drawers, work desk w/ comfortable chair, half-sofa & coffee table. Internet access was free, but my connection was slow (maybe because my room was at one end of the building). The heating unit worked fine, though the "constant fan" setting was not working. The primary reason I did not give 5 stars to this hotel was that there was no complimentary breakfast buffet; rather was only a pay-your-own sit-down breakfast area.

Room Tip: My room was on the third floor and was maybe why it was quiet.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Buffalo City WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

The hotel is pretty nice. Staff is great. The pool and hot tub really could use some updating. The exercise room is pretty small and the bike did not work. The bed is comfortable.The pillows on the bed are pretty small.
There is white tile in the bathroom. The corners of this bathroom are filthy. The tub and sink are fine. There is a fridge and microwave. The television is a good size and up to date with HD. I would have given it a higher rating if the bathroom had been clean..

Room Tip: We are on third floor and it is just fine. The elevator is right off the lobby. The pool and fitness...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for family weekend on September 30-October 2. The location was perfect for quick drives to campus.

From the outside, I thought that I booked at a Holiday Inn Express. Inside the lobby was a check in desk and a sitting area. Right off the lobby was a small restaurant. Check in service was very good. I was given room 109. This was a handicapped room which had special features in the bathroom. The room came with a mini-refridge and a microwave. I like this. The room was large and updated. The bed was comfortable. I did have problems with the shower. Like I mentioned before....My room was set up for handicappe person. I had to use a hand held shower wand. While in the shower, I giggled to myself that I might need assistance from the front desk on how to use this wand. It wouldnt stay in its cradle. No problems, I still got it done.

I would check into coming back when I visit Ames again. I did check for availability for my husband in Novemeber and was quoted a price of $199.00. Too expensive. No way would I pay $199.00 for a hotel in Ames Iowa. I went back home and checked on prices via the internet and found a lower price, but not at this hotel. Bummer for my husband.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Good customer service. Clean room and bath. Soft and firm pillows to cover all needs. Available fridge & Microwave. Nice HD flat screen TV. For convenience there is a restaurant on site for breakfast, lunch and dinner with a basic menu for reasonable prices. Easy access to Iowa State University and downtown Ames. Free internet and free parking. Pets are accepted for a small fee. You will never go wrong choosing a Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: King size bed room is good enough for a couple. I had the 2nd level with a window facing the street...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

From check-in through check-out, the staff at the Holiday Inn Ames Conference Center were wonderful. They were helpful with local information and very personable. My room was large and clean. The flat screen tv had expanded cable, and there were a couch, refrigerator, and microwave in my room. Either I had exceptional neighbors or their walls are nicely soundproofed. My room was near the elevator, so I did hear some minimal noise from that area, but that was it.

I ate breakfast here one morning, and the portions were generous as well as delicious. There wasn't much right nearby, but it was a short drive to shopping and restaurants.

Only one issue, which the hotel would not be able to rectify without some major work. The tub made horrendous amounts of noise as if it weren't properly supported. I spoke with others staying in the hotel, and they reported the same experience. However, I never heard anything from my neighbors, so again, either the soundproofing was great or they never were in the tub/shower while I was in my room.

I would stay here again without a doubt.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Wellman, IA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

I had a great stay here. The staff was very friendly, helpful and professional. I appreciated the little things they did such as a personal, handwritten weather forecast for the day slipped under my door, along with a newspaper. The rooms were clean with large flat screened TVs to watch, and they offer a nice fitness room, pool, and business center. I ordered breakfast and it was delicious and quite filling. Anytime I am in Ames, I stay here if possible.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Clinton, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

I stayed at the Holiday Inn on a trip to the State Finals for a school competition. We decided to try it because it was not quite 10 minutes away from the university, which is where our competition was and we needed to be there at 8 A.M. After driving three hours with one bathroom break, the busload of kids were going crazy. We arrived at the hotel and found they had bus parking, which was quite handy. After unloading kids and luggage, we headed to check in. Staff was very friendly, and did not panic at seeing our mob of antsy children. They managed to put all the team's rooms next to each other, so teammates were just down the hall. All the kids went swimming after getting their rooms. We were all worried that the pool would be too small and too shallow for the kids to have fun. WE were happily surprised!!! The pool was deep, and clean, and so was the hot tub. In our room later, we slept all night and didn't hear a thing! Another nice thing. They had a free breakfast and they didn't mind kids coming down in their pajamas. Later, as kids were reading for competition, our room toilet overflowed. The maintenance man was up to our room within 5 minutes of our call. He worked fast and was very nice. Check out went smoothly. All in all, we had a great stay and will be back!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Ames Conference Center At Isu? Share your experiences!