“Wonderful weekend reunion” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
The Villages, Florida, United States
“Wonderful weekend reunion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

A group of us headquartered at the Iowa House for a recent reunion. It was a wonderful experience! The rooms were charming, the breakfasts delicious and there was plenty of room to congregate comfortably. We would all recommend it for individuals, couples as well as social or family groups.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012 via mobile

Was visiting the university and they recommended this to me.

The hotel is really beautiful. Lots of character compared to most places I stay.

I arrived in the evening and there were cakes and snacks in the dining room for the guests to share.

I was in room 101. No number on the door that I could see. There was no one around so took me a while to find it. Was nice when I settled in though.

Free wifi throughout the hotel.

The hotel has lovely wooden floors. Except it it is pretty noisy when everyone walks around. The people above me had the tv on and it was loud in my room. I think the place is old do doesn't have such great sound insulation.

Room 101 is right near the breakfast area so I got woken up early from that. Perhaps a room higher up would have been quieter.

Breakfast was nice. Shared tables do I got to meet some nice ladies on a 50th class reunion.

Location is good and close to the university.

Overall a beautiful old place but a little noisy if you are a light sleeper. Would stay again though.

• Stayed May 2012
Bettendorf, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

This is one of the finest places we have ever stayed. The place is so warm and inviting that you feel like you are a welcome guest in someone's home not just someone renting a room for the night. The rooms are very comfortable and very clean. The location is very near the ISU campus and convenient to most everywhere in town. We loved our first two stays so much we have chosen to send our 42 anniversary there this year. If you are coming to Ames, don't pass over this jewel!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Not quite sure why Trip Advisor has Hotel in the name of the Iowa House Bed and Breakfast in Ames Iowa as far as I know it's still a B&B and quite a good one at that. This was our second time staying here, the first with the new ownership who took over somewhere about 2010. We went up for a long Easter weekend to visit our daughter who is attending ISU. No complaints here. This was as good as the first time we stayed here pre-2010 if not better. The entire setting is very nice and accommodating while remaining unpretentious. Very comfortable rooms (we've stayed in 306 and now 301). Very comfortable beds and very clean. The breakfasts are very good as well. Nothing more to say other than we'll be back, again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Deerfield, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

It was our first Family Weekend as ISU parents and couldn't have asked for a better place to stay! Close to the campus and wonderful accommodations. The breakfast is wonderful and the owners friendly. We can't wait to stay there again!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

The owners are doing a great job. A B&B cannot get much better than this. And it is conveniently located in campustown which means that you can just walk to nearby restaurants/bars. If I ever come back to Ames I will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Homewood, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

Needing a place to stay for two days for our daughter’s college visit to ISU, we found Iowa House. What a blessing! We had never stayed at a B & B before and thought, based on other Trip Advisor reviews, we would give it a try - soooooo glad we did!!!Owners, Tana & Monte are the sweetest people as well as their staff, Vera and Sarah. If your arriving late, call ahead so arrangements can be made for your arrival - outer doors are locked and you will need a passcode to enter. A wonderful aroma greats you as you walk in to the cozy living room and dining area. Also greeting us on the buffet was a delightful chocolate cake and other crumpets as well as coffee, and a variety of tea’s, hot chocolate and even cider waiting to be consumed. All bedrooms are exquisitely decorated and extremely comfortable with a fresh sachet aroma I will never forget. Our two bedrooms were connected to our own bathroom that was very roomy and included a jacuzzi bathtub, which we used with the calming bath salts provided. (All bathrooms have these tubs - can’t get that at your run of the mill hotel). The beds were soft and very comfortable covered with what looked like handmade quilts (please take note of Tana’s mothers quilt hanging near an entrance - truly beautiful with a heartwarming history. The lower level Chapter Room contains a large HD TV, DVD player and places where the supplied family games could be played. No need for menu’s at breakfast. Tana and Monte provide a very filling breakfast and if your lucky to be there on a Sunday morning, a refreshing and tasty mimosa. It was also here at breakfast that we met some of the other guests. It felt like we were chatting with extended family. My husband and I spent a very relaxing afternoon after a very cold and windy ISU tour, just sitting in the living room in front of a fire reading. We overheard Vera helping other patrons with their dinner and evening plans, which I believe Iowa House helped them set up and get tickets. A better concierge you could not find anywhere. I informed my daughter that I really hoped she chose and was accepted at ISU, just so we could come back and stay here! I’m probably making a huge mistake saying all this as it will probably make getting a reservation difficult, but I can’t help it. They deserve it. I wish they would start a chain of these - No, on second thought - that would probably ruin it. Hope see you both soon!

Room Tip: Main level bedrooms are close to the kitchen and dining room, so if you need early morning quiet, ge...