“Visit to Iowa State campus” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Ames
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Visit to Iowa State campus”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

We stayed at this hotel as we had campus tour of Iowa State. It is a very good location with a good mexican restruant nearby. I love how you can get rooms here with an actual separate bedroom from the living room with a pull out sofa. That way parents and kids have privacy. Didn't like the bedding very much or heating and cooling; but overall very nice clean hotel with good breakfast and pool.

Review collected in partnership with Country Inns & Suites By Carlson

Debra P, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Ames, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay with us. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel.

515-233-3935

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Conveniently located , friendly staff. Clean rooms. Overall, great place to stay for the night. Spacious rooms, cozy beds.
Very good! Pool, whirlpool. Breakfast in the morning is a plus. No complaints. Easy access to interstate.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Guest
We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at Country Inn & suites.

Waterloo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I was very impressed with the cleanliness of the room. The bed was very comfortable and I was especially in love with the pillows. I have a neck problem and take my own pillow wherever I go but the pillows on the bed here were wonderful. The porch area was very inviting and we did spend a bit of the evening enjoying the rocking chairs. The staff was also very nice and very helpful. I will definitely be staying here again when I am in the area. The library offered is a nice touch (I like to read).

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing you story about us. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us.

monticello, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Can't say enough good things about the hotel - nice and clean, great staff and check-in experience - granted the previous weekend we had a horrible experience at a competitors hotel in Nashville where they gave our room away then made us wait over half an hour while they tried to find another. I usually stay in my RV because I know that's always clean but i'd definitely leave the 40' 'four-seasons-on-wheels' at home and opt for this instead if my son ends up going to ISU. Once again Trip Advisor rocks in finding a hotel

Review collected in partnership with Country Inns & Suites By Carlson

Thank you for taking the time to mention us on Trip Advisor. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel.

Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

This hotel exceeded my expectations. Room was very clean. Good room amenities. Quiet room with little outside noise except, of course, from people in the hallway. Very comfortable bed, pillows, and linens. Good towels. Very good shower head and pressure. Recommend hotel add a hook in the bathroom for hanging a toiletries bag or robe.

Breakfast was very nice. Scrambled eggs, country potatoes, waffles, oatmeal, fresh fruit, pastries, hard boiled eggs, cereal, yogurt. Real dishes and cutlery -- thank you!

Staff was friendly and helpful. Will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Recommend top floor away from pool, breakfast room, etc.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Debra P, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites Ames, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Thank you for your stay at the Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ames, IA

Leigh Solis
Assistant Manager
Country Inns & Suites
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I stayed here for a quick overnight recently -- so I can speak to the room and check-in service, but that's about it.

I pulled into the parking lot at nearly midnight, so I was one of the last to check in that night. I was surprised to find people hanging out on the front porch of the hotel drinking and a busy pool! When I first arrived, there was no one at the front desk, so after waiting for a few minutes, I picked up the phone that was there and, per instruction, dialed for assistance. A man arrived right away; he was pleasant despite the late hour and checked me in quickly.

My first impressions of the ground floor weren't great; the walls seemed pretty banged up and worn, the carpet wasn't clean and there was quite a bit of water pooled on the tile floor in the entry -- presumably from kids running back and forth to the pool. After making my way to the third floor, where my room was located, I was pleased to find that the space was much cleaner and less 'used' feeling.

The room was fine -- nothing special, but it was clean, a huge plus. My bigger complaint about the room was that the plumbing was pretty noisy (when people in surrounding rooms used it), and the floor in the hallway made quite a bit of noise whenever someone walked by. I was happy to have free Wi-Fi though.

I knew this hotel was inexpensive (it was $120 for the night, which felt pricey for what it was, but the Iowa Games were going on ... it was much cheaper than even the Holiday Inn) and rated only 2.5 stars, but I guess I had higher expectations because of its top rating on TripAdvisor. This is a very average hotel that does the job for a place to sleep and play in the pool, if that's on your agenda, don't expect more than that.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Debra P, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Ames, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete our guest satisfaction survey.

On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have addressed these issues with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

Dyersville, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This hotel is ok. The thing we disliked was the bedspreads are very heavy. The bed has a top sheet and this comforter. We had to ask for a blanket the 2nd night to use instead of the comforter, which was much better. They do have a lovely porch with nice rocking chairs! The staff is very nice and accommodating.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to complete our guest satisfaction survey. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel.

515-233-3935

Been to Country Inn & Suites Ames? Share your experiences!