“Hilton Garden Inn Ames, Iowa” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now and save 25%
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Ames
“Hilton Garden Inn Ames, Iowa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Quiet, out of the way location, but easy drive to University. Clean, attractive, light filled lobby with all the amenities. Restaurant, small bar, TVs, multiple seating areas. Rooms clean and well appointed. However, the beds are firm to the point of causing discomfort.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

HGIAmes, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ames, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you for sharing your experience with TripAdvisor. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. Did you know our Garden Sleep System beds are adjustable? On your next stay, ask our front desk about how to adjust the firmness on your mattress to make your stay even more enjoyable. We hope to see you again soon!

Brittany Johnson
Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Des Moines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I got married in Ames and attempted a room block at this hotel. The person in charge of room blocks was hardly available and after multiple contact attempts & voice-mails they finally returned my call. The lady was rude and thus we made a room block elsewhere.

Also noteworthy, the hotel offers no perks for a room block and will charge you if you do not fulfill the reserved rooms. Seems like a horrible policy to me.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
GuestRelationships, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ames, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Jennifer:

We appreciate you taking the time to share about your experience at our hotel. Our apologies that it was not exceptional. We will be addressing the issues you've raised at our next staff meeting. We take pride in providing the best in lodging and service so our lapses during your stay are being taken very seriously.

Patricia Chang
Dubuque, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

The hotel was clean and beautiful furnished. I do not eat a large breakfast so a complimentary breakfast or a discount for the breakfast buffet would have been appreciated. The internet room was appreciated and the workout room was up to date. The pool and whirlpool were clean and spacious.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

GuestRelationships, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ames, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for taking the time to share such a wonderful, detailed review of your stay with us. We're glad to hear that it warranted 5 bubbles! We'll look forward to seeing you again soon!
Cedar Rapids, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Hotel was OK, front desk was friendly. Very nice looking lobby at least on the surface. As you look around deeper though you notice cleanliness issues, dirty switches, smears of "stuff" on various things just no attention to detail....the worst part though was the bedding....it had stains on it, the edges where it touched the ground were actually dirty like they hadn't been changed in months, the fitted sheet had a big clue stain on it....just not what I expected from a Hilton....

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

GuestRelationships, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ames, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns regarding your stay with us. We're glad to hear that our front desk staff made you feel welcome and will share your other concerns at our next staff meeting. We hope you'll give us another opportunity to "Wow" you in the future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

These hotel rooms are need of an update. The lobby is very nice, but the rooms were not nice. The beds are extremely hard (and I tend to like a firm mattress). Their mattresses are not normal mattresses. They are supposedly 'adjustable' but would not really adjust. We all had a very poor night's sleep. Towels were dingy. Walls needed repainting/cleaning. Light bulb was out on our desk. Outlets are lacking. Sink is inside bathroom and not accessible to others when someone is showering. As far as service, my son went to front desk to ask for another pillow for our room. He was told they did not have any extra pillows and they could not take one from a vacant room. Instead, he was given extra towels and told to roll them up and use those for a pillow. Huh? The breakfast in the lobby was nice and probably the best thing about this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GuestRelationships, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ames, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns about your stay with us. Although the beds are adjustable, we're sorry you could not get them adjusted to your preference. We've made note of the request made at the front desk and will address it at our next staff meeting. We're glad the breakfast helped make the stay better for you. We hope you'll give us another opportunity to "WoW!" you on your next trip to Ames.
Carroll
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I would have LOVED to give a glowing review, but sadly I can't. Upon arrival I was impressed with the decor and cleanliness... Thought-wow I'm gonna love this place! 2 hrs later, as I keep trying to fall asleep, all I can hear is huge bangs from above my room. It was obvious that there were kids jumping off beds and running like a herd of buffalo! And the hallways were full of kids running and screaming! I called to the front desk...they said they would clal them...sadly it continued...and I got NO sleep. More importantly...it was obvious that this is a regualr occurance due to the huge signs posted on each level of quiet hours. I even went down to speak to the front desk...and soon realized the issue. Kids of sports teams were there, and the parents were all in the lobby, and outside areas drinking with huge coolers of beer near them. I had already unpacked, and recently had surgery...so sadly re-packing in my state of tiredness was not an option at that time since i was travelling alone. My BIGGEST complaint was that when i left the hotel in all of the handicapped spaces, there were these drunk parents playing a tossing game with balls and wood boards. They were spread over all spots, except the last one, which sadly no SANE person would have ever parked in, as drunk people throwing balls clearly would lead to car damage. I was a bit shocked that the hotel would allow them to BLOCK these spots, but left, thinking well...im sure when I get back they will be gone. 5 hours later, i returned with groceries, as I was planning to be at this property for 15+ nights...and STILL THERE!!!! No where for me to park anywhere near a door. They saw me pull up with my handicapped placard...and did not budge. Now there was TONS of grassy areas to play this game but nope...the handicapped spots seemed like a great place to set up shop. I wrote a letter to the GM. The next day mid-afternoon I got and email back apaologizing...but sadly that was it. I checked out and moved to the Fairfield by Mariott about 5 mins away, and was pleased that even they too were packed with kids...they patrolled to make sure noise was kept under control...and they had no parking lot people.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Patricia C, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ames, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Adina J Carroll
Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you and to address your comments. During your visit, there were teams staying with us and enjoying family time outside. While I appreciated getting your email informing me about the situation, the email was sent to me at 10:30 pm and I did not read it until the following day. Unfortunately, it was too late for me to act on your behalf. Please, should you ever desire immediate assistance, call the front desk and either a hotel team member or our Manager On Duty will help you. I am glad that before you went out that evening, a Front Desk Team Member offered to move youto another room. We held that room for you until you returned but you decided not to move and expressed your wish to change rooms in the morning.

I do apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with parking and any discomfort you may have experienced with our groups. Every guest is important to us and we would have been glad to have made the situation right for you if given the opportunity.

Your initial choice to stay with us is appreciated and we hope to have the opportunity to gain your trust back and "WOW" you with our service on future visits to Ames.

Highest regards,

Patty Chang
Ames, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Bad toilet paper. Neighbors can be heard clearly. Small mini Fridge. Terrible bed. I did not sleep. Room service had to come 5 times to get it right. All in all I would say that I would expect more paying 1/3 the price. A fancy looking lobby does not mean I will settle for a motel 6 quality room and experience. I would not return even if it were free.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

GuestRelationships, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ames, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We apologize for the quality of your stay. The issues you have raised have been noted and will be addressed internally. We hope that the next time you're in town you'll give us another opportunity to amaze you!

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Ames? Share your experiences!