“Quick weekend stop” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 18 hotels in Ames
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Quick weekend stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed here one Friday night while attending a function for my daughter on the Iowa State University Campus. The location close to the campus was perfect and made getting to our function really easy in the morning. The hotel was clean, check in was a breeze and everything we needed was available for us in the room. The only real issue we encountered were the beds. Maybe it was just us but we found them to be super uncomfortable, even with adjusting the firmness. It seemed like the matress covers were a little too small for the mattresses or something and that forced the mattresses to sink in the middle and rise on the sides, making it tough to not roll into each other all night long. Again it might be a preference thing specific to us, but it made it tough for us to get a good night of sleep. Other than the beds, we found the hotel to be great with a nice (but tiny) pool and a decent workout facility. The addition of the microwave and refrigerator in the room were also really nice and both worked well.

Room Tip: It appeared that many of the first floor rooms were on the corridor to the pool, which seemed like i...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

172 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We have stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Ames, Iowa many times and have had great service for any of our needs. The room is very comfortable and relaxing. Pricing is less expensive than other hotels in the area with similar amenities. We had wedding guests stay at those other hotels, but the rooms were not as nice as ours but cost a few dollars more. It's a beautiful hotel; and they are updating it already. We find ourselves going back to this hotel any time we need a few days to stay in Ames.

Room Tip: Unfortunately I can't rate the spa since it was out of service.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Carpentersville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I stayed here 2 nights and had great service and overall a nice hotel. I got the breakfast option for both days but really didnt get a chance to use it due to work schedule. However, I told the staff that I could not use my breakfast pass the next day because I had to leave to for the airport at 4 am and they told me they would have a box prepared for me to just come to the office and get it which was awesome. They had banana's a bagel and yogurt for me. Very nice and friendly and if you can afford to stay a bit out of Des Moines then stay in Ames much cheaper too and better atmosphere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Our family stayed here while we were here for a weekend Cyclone game, the hotel is spotless and everyone was really nice and very helpful! The kids used the work out room and we all used the pool and hot tub, everything was super clean and the perfect temperature. The bed was the best part, it was amazing! We did order room service and got wings and pizza, the pizza was really, really good!! I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
JessicaPreston, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ames, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear NoCampingJustHotels,

Thank you so very much for your kind and honest review! We greatly appreciate the time it takes to review each stay honestly and fairly and were very pleased to see how you reviewed us. I'm also glad to hear that you were able to relax in our pool and dine in our restaurant. I've made sure to pass your review along to the kitchen and housekeeping team to assure they know the job well done you gave them.

Also, I'd like you to know that our Garden Sleep System Beds are available for purchasing. If you contact the hotel they can give you my contact information and I can e-mail you the link if you are interested in purchasing one!

Again, thank you so much for your positive review!

We look forward to serving you again for your next visit!
Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I've stayed here at least once per month for a couple of years on trips to visit my aging mother. Although the members of the staff have come and gone, the service, housekeeping, food quality, and overall attention to the customer have remained high. Enjoy the hot breakfast while you're there. The servings are huge, especially the omelets. There are many hotel options in the Ames area, but I keep coming back to this one. Give it a try.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear MinnTravelingCouple,

I'm writing you today on behalf of our whole team to thank you for your kind review! We know how busy things can be, especially traveling as often as you do and we want to recognize and thank you for taking the time to review us!

We strive to keep our standards high and I am pleased to hear that we are doing such. I'm especially glad that you like our large breakfast and want to make sure that you know about our bed and breakfast package that saves you a few dollars. Please make sure to ask for the bed and breakfast package when booking your room and you'll pay approximately $5 per person instead of the $10.95 per person if you walk into the restaurant that morning.

On behalf of the team, please allow me to welcome you back for your next visit and extend a sincere thank you for being a part of our "hotel family". We look forward to seeing you next time!
Ayrshire, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We always stay here but this time it was just really close to perfect. The place is sparkling clean, the staff is bend-over-backwards helpful, our sleep was very pleasant and the pool area was neat.
We even ate at their restaurant that night. We were very surprised at the quality of the food that we received. It was delicious and with healthy selections to boot! The only problem was that the waitstaff we had was disappointing with a lack of attention to detail.

We have tried to stay other places when we have come to Ames and have decided that this is the only place we will stay here. Thank-you!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear NannerSwan,

On behalf of our hotel staff, I am writing to let you know how delighted we were to receive your kind words of praise about your stay!

With so many guests that we encounter every day it's always great to hear from the ones that had such a positive stay! I want you to know that our team has been shown your kind review and also expresses their gratitude for such kind words. Please know that we appreciate the time you took our of your day to review us and appreciate your decision to stay at our hotel.

We very much look forward to your next stay!
Galva, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

While I seldom review hotels I use on business travel, this place in Ames is an exception. They are managed very well and the staff is always top-notch. I am on the road for business quite a bit and seldom eat at the hotel I stay at. However when in Ames and when staying here I always find time to catch one of the Chef's specialities. I highly recommend the salmon taco's!

The rooms are always clean but mostly the staff is very courteous and friendly!

Just a great place for business travelers!! 5 STARS!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for room upgrade. More than likely you will get it!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Ames? Share your experiences!