“Very Nice!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Ames
Ames, Iowa
“Very Nice!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed here with my sister for a relaxing weekend. The lobby/reception area is welcoming, has calm colors, a fireplace, includes plenty of tables and comfortable chairs for small groups. The staff were helpful at all times. We needed extra paper cups for our art/craft work, the kitchen staff was helpful! A friend brought a bottle of wine, but forgot the cork screw. No problem, they loaned one to us.

I explored the fitness center, but didn't have time to use it. It was very well stocked with a nice variety of equipment. We used the pool and hot tub. Excellent! Didn't find out until we were ready to check out, but we could have gotten, free-of-charge, a set of workout equipment for our room. I think it included a mat and exercise bands. Nice when you are traveling!

I wish this facility included a voucher or complimentary breakfast. Then it would just about be perfect.

Note: it's close to the highway, but very quiet.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
AmesHGIGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ames, responded to this review, June 30, 2011
On behalf of our hotel staff, I am writing to let you know how delighted we were to receive your kind review. Given the very nature of the hotel business, the hours are long and demanding. Day or night, good service depends upon people willing to give their very best at all times. That's why it's truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts, and takes the time to let us know. We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their night's stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. But, it's only through their eyes that we can accurately assess the quality of the accommodations and services we provide. I would encourage the next time to book our Bed and Breakfast package that includes breakfast for you and your guests. Again, let me thank you for your kind review. We're committed to total guest satisfaction, and we look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

In traveling to Ames, Iowa to visit family our priority for a hotel was location and the cleanliness of our room. What more do you need after a day of running around?
What we did not expect was the incredible guest attention we received from hotel staff. From Jess, who checked us in, to the care and attention we received from the general manager, Fredrick Killian. The Hilton chain needs to look to this HGI professional staff and recognize their efforts as to what is being done right in hotel service. This group of hotel staff reflect a highly professional level of customer service while working with guests (which is evident in the clear leadership and direction from Mr Killian management).
I would highly recommend this hotel to any traveler!
An added bonus....
Great fresh cooked breakfast to get us going in the morn to a GREAT rib dinner we had on our farewell meal in Ames...WELL DONE!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
AmesHGIGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ames, responded to this review, April 8, 2011
On behalf of our hotel staff, I am writing to let you know how delighted we were to receive your kind words of praise and to say it was truly humbling to have someone take the time to point out the highlights of what we strive to deliver everyday every time.

Given the very nature of the hotel business, the hours are long and demanding. Day or night, good service depends upon people willing to give their very best at all times. That's why it's truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts, and takes the time to say thank you.

Again, let me thank you for your kind words as I will be sure to share them with the staff. We're committed to total guest satisfaction, and we look forward to your next visit.

515-233-8000
Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

We were in town for ISU's Army ROTC Military Ball. Had a bad experience last year with check-in process and breakfast which we were offered a room at half price the next time we visited. We decided to give the hotel another chance and take advantage of a great rate. WRONG decision. Once again the check-in process was horrible! Let me state that this year it was not the clerk's fault. It definitely is a management issue. I had requested early check-in (1-2 p.m.) at the time of making the reservation. Upon arrival I was told not until 3. We were able to enter the pool area to pass some time. I went up to the front desk a couple of times to be told no rooms were ready. Imagine my dismay when I got to the reception area at 2:45 to see a walk-in receive room keys! You cannot tell me that they did not have ONE room ready at 1 or 2?? The time has come for us to try another hotel in the Ames area, which is sad because we frequent Ames a lot. The pool area in the evening had NO clean towels with dirty and soaked towels around the pool deck. The pool deck looked the same way with dirty/soaked towels in the morning! What a shame to the Hilton name! Ending on a positive the room was clean.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
AmesHGIGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ames, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
This is very disappointing to hear and I want to offer my sincerest apology for the issues with check in and the condition of the pool area on your recent visit. It is so disappointing to hear when a guest has this type of experience in the hotel where the team of staff here care so much about their guests and want them to have a fantastic stay, like the first time you stayed here at the hotel. Your review was so positive and uplifting then and should have been your experience this time and every time. I would love to offer you something for your poor experience and I invite you to contact me directly so that I can take care of you. Again I am sorry to hear about your experience and trust me that all the concerns you listed will be researched and followed up on so that we can improve as a team to not have those types of interactions take place.

515-233-8000
Ames
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

We had made arrangements to make sure that the hotel was able to accommodate our group a couple months ahead of our arrival. When we arrived wi 30 kids at the end of the day rooms were not ready, keys were not ready and the arrangements for breakfast did not meet the contracted arrangement.

The hotel was willing to get everything cleared up but to make arrangements in advance should have meant that when we arrived we wouldn't have had those challenges.

• Stayed February 2011
AmesHGIGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Ames, responded to this review, March 4, 2011
I am sorry for the list of issues that you experienced on your recent visit to the HGI of Ames. We do our best as a hotel to accommodate late check outs and early check ins and sometimes they seem to cause conflictions with guests on both sides. Trust me when I say that we try our best to accommodate both sides and our hearts are in the right place of wanting to make everyone happy and consequently that always doesn’t happen. I am glad that my staff and I were able to make all the corrections you needed to make it work and we look forward to your arrival coming up again. I hope your team was successful in their game and again we appreciate your business and thank you for choosing the HGI of Ames.

Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

I stayed in this Hotel specifically due to it's reputation of being a notably clean hotel in Ames. I was not dissapointed. On top of a top noch hotel, it has a great food service. Room Service was great and we had a conference in the Hotel which served us fantastic fresh home made food. Something that a lot of hotels do not do these days.

I will be back again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind review and again we appreciate your business and I wanted to let you know how excited we all are for your return to the HGI of Ames soon!

Ames, IA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn with my partner for a Valentine's Day Getaway and the place was amazing! The room was so clean as well as the people working their were friendly and approachable! It helped make the stay even more incredible!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Ames, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

I basically laid in bed all day and watched TV and took naps. It was quiet, comfortable and a much needed relaxing weekend.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

Fredrick Killian

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Ames? Share your experiences!