“Safe but a little rough” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Ames
Apple Valley, Minnesota
“Safe but a little rough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

This hotel is a little rough around the edges but clean, safe and well equipped. The whole building is a bit cramped, rooms, hallways, lobby and especially the breakfast area is small. Everything in the room worked, microwave, fridge, bed wasn't uncomfortable. Desk didn't have any unused power outlets so I had to unplug things to use computer and phone charger.
Stayed three nights, maid service was spotty, beds were made but little things were overlooked. Breakfast area tiny and food selection wasn't good at all, very small selection if items and bad coffee. Luckily Panera is next door and Perkins across the street. A small nit, parking spaces are tiny, OK for a small car but useless for a larger one. Wifi performed reasonably well.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Ames, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

I moved to ames for work and needed a place to stay until I found an apartment. Andy was very helpful in getting me in at a reasonable rate and made sure my stay was good. thank you Andy and staff for a great stay!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Springdale, Arkansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

I called this facility at approxiamtely 16:00 on Friday June 3rd to cancel a one night reservation for June 11th. I took the employee at their word that the reservation was cancelled. I asked for a name and wrote it down. On Monday June 13th, this hotel fraudently charged my credit card. When I called to request a refund, I was told they would not give me one. I asked the manager to confirm this with his employee who was working at that date and time and he refused. I asked for the name of his superior or to speak to him and they refused as well. I also asked if they would simply apply those funds to my upcoming reservatin at the same facility for Friday the 17th, which was also refused. The manager was rude and uncooperative. I called the Days Inn main number to open a case and was told it would take up to 3 business days to resolve. This facility is participating in shady business practices and taking money fraudently. The person at the main number could not find the reservation they charged me for, which tells me they cancelled it, kept my credit card info and then charged it .We are having to fraud the charge with our bank and we are likely to have to go through other means to get our money back

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
East Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

This was and enjoyable place to stay and in a very good location that seemed central to everything we needed.

There is shopping, restaurants and entertainment actually within walking distance. The venues we needed to get to were only a short, 10 minute or less drive.

I would recommend it for anyone staying in Ames.

Room Tip: Try to get a first floor room if possible.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Elysian, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

we reserved a room thru hotwire, which is another story, and knew there would be a problem when they couldn't promise us a non smoking room and this was after the booking was made,,,(always buy the insurance if you use hotwire and then you can make changes/cancellations.) The only room left when we checked in at 3:30 pm on june 10th was a smoking room...when we opened the door, the smell was so awful my husband got an immediate headache and my asthma kicked in...the non-American manager would not make any concessions...we could not stay there and lost the money paid........

Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
ct
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

We stayed at this hotel as a result of good reviews from Trip Advisor. We wanted a reasonably priced hotel for one night on our way north. We were not disappointed. Service was excellent. Staff were extremely accommodating and also suggested a an excellent restaurant nearby. The room was very clean. The location was near the downtown and the main shopping area. Best value in quite some time. Also, a good free breakfast and free internet as well.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Cresco, Iowa, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

The hotel rooms were not very clean and then I found bed bugs. Not good. I would not advise anyone to stay at this hotel and I will never stay in it again. I recommend going to one of the hotels along Highway 30. They are cheaper, cleaner, and result in less swelling and/or itching.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
DaysINNAmes, General Manager at Days Inn Ames, responded to this review, April 13, 2011
We apologize for your stay and thank you for your concern. Our pest control service came to the property the same day, found no bugs and still treated the room completely. We had them inspect every room on the property as well and they found no bugs. Future guests at this property can rest assured that this was an isolated incident which was handled immediately.

GM

Been to Days Inn Ames? Share your experiences!