This hotel is on the campus of Iowa State University, and is very convenient if you have university business. The building is quite old, and some of the fixtures such as the antique doorknobs, and tile in the bathroom are charming.
Another positive is that the front desk staff is extremely friendly and helpful.
However, the following inconveniences led me to give less than a perfect rating:
1. The bathroom was apparently designed for the basketball team. The mirror over the sink was so high, that I had to stand on my tip-toes to see my full face (I'm 5'5"); same for the shower head and hook on the back of the door - I couldn't reach the hook to hang up my towel.
2. The faucet knobs are the type that must be held "on" continuously for water flow; if you let go of the knob, the water shuts off.
3. There is no seat cover on the toilet, and very little counter space on which to perch needed primping items; I was afraid my deodorant, etc., would fall into the toilet.
4. I stayed 2 nights. I left a tip for housekeeping after the first night and went about my day. When I returned to the room at the end of the day, only the bathroom had been cleaned! The bed was not made, the ironing board was not put away, the coffee pot had not been cleaned! (Since I wasn't paying for the room, I did not complain). I've never had a room only partially cleaned before.
Again, the location is ideal if you are there for university business, but I would be reluctant to stay there again.
- Also Known As:
- Memorial House Hotel Ames, Iowa