“Bed was from the Nixon Administration” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Memorial House Hotel

Memorial House Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ames
Memorial House Hotel
Save Saved
You added Memorial House Hotel to your Saves list
2229 Lincoln Way, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011   |
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Ames
Kansas City
“Bed was from the Nixon Administration”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Recommended by an ISU grad.......and maybe thats the only folks that should stay here. I was on the sixth floor facing away from campus right next to the ice machine and the elevators. Guess they knew I was a Jayhawk. Oh well, it was close to my meeting on campus and the room was clean. Just like my Jayhawks I came to town, had a winning experience at my meeting and got out of town. I recommend you skip this one unless you want to add it to your bucket list.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators - very loud
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Clear Lake, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

One hour was enough for me before checking out of this place and going to another hotel .the noise would be the first complaint ,the elevators noise comes thru the vents and sounds like a freight train and the final straw was the carpenter ants in the bed,called the office and told them we were wanting a refund and during this conversation she never apologized The same price as other hotel and customer service needs to be looked at as we'll the updating the rooms and replacing the mattresses .

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed two nights in the Memorial Union Hotel on a recent trip to ISU. First off, the location is great. You can walk to everything on ISU campus and the nearby business district. No other hotel is even close in Ames in terms of having a walkable location near so much.

The room was small (Queen Bed), but large enough. Just do not plan on doing much in the room. Everything except the medium-sized LCD TV is very dated. Bed sleep quality was so-so at best. It was reasonably quiet, but I was not near the elevators. It was also very difficult to adjust the temperature in the room. Service was fine. Campus parking included with the hotel, which is a nice perk.

Overall, there are drawbacks. However, the location will keep me coming back.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Stillwater, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

The only thing good about this place is that it is part of the campus. The beds were awful, shower was not cleaned- they were hairs (someone else's) in the tub. The coffee pot had some sticky stuff in the bottom of it. They have a hard port to connect to the internet but no wifi. Expensive for a 1 star hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Fargo, North Dakota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

It is difficult to find the hotel from the parking lot - and I am a former ISU grad! I stay here once before 10 years ago and thought the room and bed were awful then, well they haven't been updated since!

The only available room was one next to the elevators, and it sounded as if a freight train was going through the room.

The rooms are cleaned with some sort of noxious chemical, and it smelled musty inside the room. No fans available to move air around the room.

The bed was at least 15 years old, and extremely uncomfortable- I could feel the springs through the mattress.
I can't believe this passes as acceptable......

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Okay, so I've finally done it. I returned the keys to the front desk and walked away from a hotel room. I have stayed in other hotels in Ames but, as an Iowa State grad, I figured this would be a great opportunity to stay in a bit of history. Big mistake...

I did have to adjust my thinking in that this isn't a "real" hotel, you're staying at the university's student union. So, parking was a bit awkward and it was a hike to finally find the front desk. The woman was pleasant while we checked in. We gathered our key and went to check out the room. It was a tad weird to use a regular type key in the elevator to access the floor but whatever. The corridor was interesting but when we opened the door, we stepped right back into 1975. Our "suite" was nothing more that two small beds with a sofa. The beds sagged and had grandmother's pink bedspreads. The "wooden" furniture might have been my old mediterranean style junk that I left at Iowa State in 1982 and it was old and out-of-date then! To top it off, the room had a very musty smell to it. We went to the front desk and the woman was very helpful and understanding. Frankly, I really wanted to stay here and was sorely disappointed. Thankfully, we were able to get a room at another hotel that we have stayed in before.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed here one night, and the room was very cozy and nice, with a nice view of the campanile. However, the amenties were very old, and the shower was terrible. It looked like it was from the 1800s, and when I was in it, the hot water turned off in the middle of my shower, and cold water kept coming out of the showerhead even when I shut off all the water. It was terrible. The sensor-activated automatic faucet in the bathroom was also annoying. However, apart from looking a bit dated (which actually was pretty nice), it was a nice stay.

Room Tip: make sure your shower works
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Memorial House Hotel? Share your experiences!