“Pleasantly Surprised” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn Amana Colonies and Wasserbahn Waterpark Resort

Save Saved
You added Clarion Inn Amana Colonies and Wasserbahn Waterpark Resort to your Saves list
Clarion Inn Amana Colonies and Wasserbahn Waterpark Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Exit 225, I-80 Amana Colonies, 2211 U Ave, Amana, IA 52361   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Amana
Washington, Utah
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011 via mobile

This hotel was better than expected which was a welcome relief after a long day. We checked in at 11:00 PM and the desk clerk was very friendly. We had a room on the 2nd floor and she was able to move us to the lower level because we had a lot of items to bring to our room. Our room was updated, fresh and comfortable.

• Stayed June 2011

145 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

We were excited to include this establishment as one of our giveaways we do monthly for our business. We contacted the front desk four times to inquire about how to purchase a gift certificate and was told the manager, Ranae would call us back. She never bothered to call back, however we get to hear how short handed they were at this motel from Martha and it was hard to keep up because they are low on staff members.
This is very poor service...we chose elsewhere.

I hope anyone that visits this establishment receives better accomodations.

Room Tip: Check Other areas
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Fishing Creek, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

I had a very short day on the return leg of a cross-country road trip last summer, and went to check out the Amana Colonies. That was pretty neat. After seeing what they had to offer, I checked in to the Clarion before going on to Toledo the next day. Few complaints, but not sure it was entirely worth the price. This is a waterpark; I realize there are a lot of kids staying there, but it can be hard to sleep if you're just exhausted and want to get to bed early. Not their fault and it's probably the traveler's responsibility to find another place to stay if they don't want to deal with it, but just so you know... until about 9-10, expect to hear screaming, yelling kids in the hallways with parents too exhausted to care any more.

The hotel itself is not bad in any way; their Amana-style restaurant was an experience in itself! Good food. I figured what the heck and went for a round of solo mini golf--cute course! For about a hundred bucks, though (even with the AAA rate), I kind of was hoping for some sleep and didn't really get it. I would give them another shot when I had a bit more energy though, and found the rooms to be clean, spotless, and up to Choice Hotels standards. Friendly staff. Early check-out and they were quite chipper for the ridiculous hour that it was. Liked the whole idea of the Amana complex, and again, if I had kids, I think this place would be nothing short of ideal.

Wouldn't say I had any qualms about recommending the place, and the Amana Colonies are a neat American experience! I would recommend them.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Kearney, Nebraska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

I wish I liked this place better. There are so few other similar options in the area. However, we won't stay there again. The water park is small and water is cold, but those are actually both things I can live with. The two reasons that will keep be from returning are 1) chlorine in the pool was making lots of kids sick and 2) there was a smear of feces on the sheets of one of the beds. I don't think I need to explain any further....

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

The water was freezing! Food at restaurant on-site was expensive and average... nothing to write home about. Most disappointing was that no one under 16 was allowed in the hot tub which was incredibly disappointing to our son and couldn't go in with Mom and Dad. So we followed the rules but the lifeguard on duty didn't seem to notice -- that's disturbing. Then we went into the small arcade room and a few of the games ate our money and didn't work. To top it all, no pay per view movies suitable for a small child and an overall limited TV/PPV selection. No interest in going back. Ever.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Cedar Falls, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

We decided to stay at this hotel to cure some cabin fever that Iowa brings. I was immediately disapointed that check-in was not until 04:00PM. We have a toddler "18 months" that goes to sleep by 08:00PM and would have liked some more time. The waterpark was nice, perfect for a small child, we had a blast. When we got back to the room and tried to shower, the cold water turned on but would not turn off... the knob just turned and nothing happened. So the water was running on full and I could not turn it off. I called the front desk and after waiting 15 minutes for maintance called them back with a little more "tone". Maintence showed up and switched out the knob after a few minutes then. The maintence man left two big muddy footprints in the bathtub and one on the side of the tub... he didnt bother cleaning up after himself prior to leaving. The next morning the waterpark didnt open until 09:00. Our family is early risers so I would have liked it to open by at least 08:00 since most families need to get on the road. We had breakfast at the attached restaraunt and it was very good food.... All in all, if you need a day or two away this area is great (Amana colonies, Tanger outlet) and the kids will stay busy in the water. We will be back sometime

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Iowa City, IA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

Great water park, very clean rooms. Hallways look newly renovated. Staff was extremely kind and helpful.

Only complaint is that the lighting and fixtures in the bathrooms feel a little sketchy.

We'll be back.

• Stayed January 2011

Been to Clarion Inn Amana Colonies and Wasserbahn Waterpark Resort? Share your experiences!