“Get there in plenty of time before closing” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 11 things to do in Amana
Activities: Shopping
More attraction details
Owner description: This general store has been in business since 1858.
Detroit, Michigan
8 attraction reviews
“Get there in plenty of time before closing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I am sure it is a nice General Store - but the Amana Colonies have been touting late hours - I would assume in an attempt to increase tourism - and really the only reason I made the trip - in every store I entered from 5:30-6p, IF I was greeted at all was with indifference and annoyance. General Store was no different. If you invite guests in to shop late - you should act like you want to take their money.

Visited June 2013

Fergus Falls, Minnesota
7 attraction reviews
“Nice selection.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Beautiful displays of items to sell. The selections were many and varied, including the Christmas room. It was disappointing to not find a Sprengerle Cookie Board anywhere in the Colonies, even though the recipe is displayed on a wall of the museum.

Visited October 2012
Gourock, United Kingdom
48 attraction reviews
“pretty selection in store”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

You must see this shop - first impression is 'how lovely!' there is lots of stock to see and I had to restrict myself to lightweight purchases I could take back to UK on the plane - so I bought 3 cookie cutters for myself, and 2 hot mat coasters for little Xmas gifts. Spent ages in there though ! very very pretty...

Visited October 2012
Rochester, MN
12 attraction reviews
“Amana village”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

If you're going to the Amana colonies, stick with Amana, as the others are pretty much empty.It was a " bucket list" trip for me, but I did enjoy it, although it wasn't what I expected. Having been to Lancaster Cty PA in the past, I expected something similar, and it wasn't. The factories weren't working (Sunday), but they are operated by local folks, not Amish/German craftsmen. Food at Ronningen's was ethic, good and reasonable. Crafts were expensive as expected. Lots of parking, but some shops were closed/for sale or didn't open until later in the day.

Visited July 2012
New Lenox, Illinois
62 attraction reviews
“Charming Store to Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed this store. It had a little of everything for you to buy. They had a good choice of items to purchase. We enjoyed the stationery selections they had and purchased some items for our daughters. I would recommend visiting the store and I am sure you will find something there to buy.

Visited May 2012

Been to Amana General? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Amana General, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.