“pretty selection in store” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 12 things to do in Amana
Activities: Shopping
More attraction details
Owner description: This general store has been in business since 1858.
Gourock, United Kingdom
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“pretty selection in store”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

You must see this shop - first impression is 'how lovely!' there is lots of stock to see and I had to restrict myself to lightweight purchases I could take back to UK on the plane - so I bought 3 cookie cutters for myself, and 2 hot mat coasters for little Xmas gifts. Spent ages in there though ! very very pretty...

Visited October 2012

Rochester, MN
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Amana village”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

If you're going to the Amana colonies, stick with Amana, as the others are pretty much empty.It was a " bucket list" trip for me, but I did enjoy it, although it wasn't what I expected. Having been to Lancaster Cty PA in the past, I expected something similar, and it wasn't. The factories weren't working (Sunday), but they are operated by local folks, not Amish/German craftsmen. Food at Ronningen's was ethic, good and reasonable. Crafts were expensive as expected. Lots of parking, but some shops were closed/for sale or didn't open until later in the day.

Visited July 2012
New Lenox, Illinois
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Charming Store to Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed this store. It had a little of everything for you to buy. They had a good choice of items to purchase. We enjoyed the stationery selections they had and purchased some items for our daughters. I would recommend visiting the store and I am sure you will find something there to buy.

Visited May 2012
Omaha, NE
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Charming Little Store”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

We find ourselves driving through Iowa fairly frequently and always make a stop in the Amana Colonies. This charming little store is across the street from restaurants...so we always find time to stop in. It is similar to little "nook and cranny" shops you find in tourist towns (like Breckenridge, Galena, etc) with samplings of all kinds of items...and I always seem to find something I can't live without! Especially when you have limited time...this is the shop to see.

Been to Amana General? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Amana General, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.