“Lovely” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Amana
Activities: Shopping
More attraction details
Owner description: Amana's original furniture shop! Proudly handcrafting solid Walnut, Cherry, and Oak furniture, clocks, and gift items. Featuring traditional Amana designs alongside many new original designs. Custom work is welcome and encouraged...bring us your plans and let us bring them to life. Also featuring many locally made gift items. We offer Iowa's largest clock selection with over 100 clocks on display including Amana handcrafted clocks along with Howard Miller and Rhythm clocks. Other great American furniture builders are also featured in our showroom including leather furniture from Bradington-Young, glider rockers from Newport Rockers, and many others. Enjoy our workshop viewing gallery and learn more about handcrafting authentic Amana Furniture while watching our craftsmen work.
La Grange Park, IL
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Seeing the furniture and clocks were wonderful and beautiful. I loved looking at them and wished that I could afford the cost. I know they are hand-made and top quality, but the merchandise is not affordable for me. I would definitely got back to look and ooh & awe at everything!!

Visited September 2012

Iowa City, Iowa
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“A favorite shop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Lovely furniture, and you can browse for hours. After discovering a clock that fit my nontraditional decor, although I didn't have anywhere to put it, I came back several times to admire it again. After the next-to-last visit I went home and rearranged the furniture. The clock, like their other offerings, is beautifully made, and I find myself stroking the wood because it is so smooth.
Salespeople are very helpful. I have friends who purchased a bed there, and wanted a night table that differed from the ones on display; they were told that they could special-order and get exactly what they wanted.
Prices are in line with other fine furniture, not inexpensive but quality that will last and can be handed down to the next generation (one of my children already has dibs on the clock, hopefully to become his several decades hence!).
Almost forgot, you can view the workshop, interesting for both adults and children. I don't think they have workers there on the weekends, though.

Visited April 2012
Mount Juliet, TN
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“Our favorite store in Amana”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We spent 3 days in the Amanas and visited sites in each one except East Amana. The furniture shop was our very favorite. We found items for our home that we will cherish. We bought a clock, then changed our minds to select a different one before we picked it up. The staff was very helpful and not at all bothered by our decision to change. I wish I had more time and money to spend here. The workmahsip is excellent. We had just bought Stickley and wished we'd shopped Amana first...it's that good (and nearly that expensive, but not quite). If you admire quality woodwork, you must stop here.
You can watch the workmen during the week. We saw black Walnut, Cherry, and Oak as the most common. There are small items too, glass, ceramic crocks, lamps, accessories....

Visited August 2012
Auxvasse
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Beautiful Modern hand crafted furniture”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

The place was great. I have been looking at Amish furniture and have been disappointed because it is big, bulky and heavy. The Amana furniture would actually fit well in my modern home. I like the way that the history of the place was told using various signs in the shop. Expensive, yes, but what do you expect. It take time, money and talent to make this kind of quality. It was cheaper than I have seen for junk in high end shops.

Visited June 2012
Ohio
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Beautiful furniture, great craftsmanship, highest prices”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I think the furniture is gorgeous and very well made. It all seems quite sturdy. They have a lot of unique clocks and some handmade wooden gift items as well.

The fact that you can go check out the shop where they make all of the furniture is a nice addition, it wasn't a very active workshop when we were there. It would have been nice to watch a little more.

The prices are extremely high and while I'm sure it is worth it, it's just not friendly to an average person's budget.

Visited June 2012