“try being handicapped” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Altoona
ida grove
“try being handicapped”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

If you are handicapped I would advise you to find a different hotel. The set up for handicapped leaves much to be desired. There are elevators which are nice,but the problem is they should be near the handicapped rooms instead of the opposite end of floor, or should I say 3 long halls from the handicapped rooms!
The rooms are large enough for a scooter and I would suggest you bring one if you stay here just to get around in the building!
The staff was very helpful and quite friendly and the rooms were nice! (Ours could have used some better lighting or a window though)
.I just think when making a handicap rooms you should consider the handicapped. Also if there would have been a fire I wouldn't have been able to write this as I wouldn't have made it down from the 2nd floor in time.

Room Tip: If you are handicapped ask for a room close to the elevator and maybe on the main floor!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brianne F, Public Relations Manager at Adventureland Inn, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
On behalf of the Hotel General Manager, Matthew Krantz:

Thank you for your review. The Ladies and Gentlemen at Adventureland Inn truly appreciate your feedback, and are sorry that you did not find your accommodations to be in line with your expectations. Any explanation would sound like excuses, and there simply is no excuse for offering less than exemplary guest service. If you would like to discuss your concerns, please contact me at 515-265-7321 or Matthew@Adventureland-inn.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Very Truly,

Matthew Krantz

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed one night at adventureland inn on our recent getaway to the park in Aug 2013. We had a pretty good stay and a great time being together as a family!

The goods...awesome location! We loved the trolley to adventureland. Employees we encountered were all so friendly! As a family of six, its hard to find a hotel that allows six so we loved the junior family suite option! Room was spacious and looked out into the pool area. We enjoyed sitting on our patio having a snack. The pool areas were great. Our littlest adored the kiddie area and must have done the frog slide 150 times! The older kids liked the other courtyard with a slide for them. Hot tubs were great too. Everthing was very clean.

The not so goods. Beds were really hard and neither my husband or I slept well. Also the jr suites open out to the pool and bar area. Music was very loud and kids were screaming and doors slamming until well after 11pm. They did close the area and turn things off promptly at 1030 but there was no getting the kids to bed before that. It was very loud. From midnight to 7am it was pretty quiet. Finally the bright light from the courtyard leaked through the shades on the window and we could not get the room dark. I had hoped it would be dimmed when the pool closed but no such luck.

All in all, we love the pools, location and rooms but unless the beds were better and we could get a quieter room I am not sure we will stay here again. Too bad really because its a great place!

• Stayed August 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to post a review on your stay with us at our hotel. We are happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed our courtyards, trolley to Adventureland Park, and the room patios. We value your constructive criticism so we can improve our property to help accommodate each and every guest. We have passed the not so goods on to the prospective departments in hopes of changes to better each guests stay. Thank you.
Cedar Falls, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

the pool areas are warm and very enjoyable! room was a little outdated. be careful when asking for a pool view balcony room. We had a balcony overlooking pool room.. but it overlooked the restaurant and not the pool. no breakfast is included

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Brianne F, Public Relations Manager at Adventureland Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Denise, We appreciate you taking the time to post a review on your stay with us at the hotel. Each year we focus on a different aspect of the hotel that could use some improvement and are looking into different bedding packages to update the sleeping rooms this Fall. We apologize for the misrepresentation if we stated every balcony room over the West Courtyard has a pool view. We encourage our reservationists to explain the balcony rooms as courtyard views to avoid any confusion. We hope that we will be able to serve you through our hotel again in the future.
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed at Adventureland Inn for two nights with some family members. Our rooms were clean, and the hotel management and staff were friendly and responsive. The kids loved the pools, and the proximity to Adventureland can't be beat. Room service prices were very reasonable for breakfast. Furnishings were nice and we appreciated having a fridge in the room. I would say that the room rates are quite pricey, and I call the rooms "average" because they're comparable to what I would stay in at a Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn, but without any meal freebies. No complaints otherwise!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Brianne F, Public Relations Manager at Adventureland Inn, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Emma, We appreciate you taking the time to write a review on your stay with us. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our rooms, staff, pools, and amenities. We appreciate you understanding the justification on our room rates with the location of Adventureland Park, free parking for hotel guests attending the park, and our indoor/outdoor pools and courtyards. We hope that we will be able to serve you and your family again in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights. The room had a fridge. Our room had an enclosed patio with a table and chairs. Pools were really nice.. the water was so warm. Grandkids had a great time going down the slides. The other pool area is set up for tinty tots. And a swim up bar. Staff was very friendly. Close to the amusement park and the shuttle is so convenient. It runs every 15 minutes.
We could have found a cheaper hotel but for the location, size of the room, patio, friendly staff, pools we thought it was well worth it..

• Stayed July 2013
Brianne F, Public Relations Manager at Adventureland Inn, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Valerie, Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at our hotel. We are delighted that you and your family enjoyed our sleeping rooms, the pools, the staff, and the transportation to the park. We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Waverly, NE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I checked into the hotel. We had three rooms reserved. I paid for all three rooms but only two had been cleaned. We we told that the third room would be ready shortly. My family has had the same rooms for the past three years. These rooms have alway been right next to each other and across the hall. When my daughter came to check in, she found out that someone had rented their room out and they would have to check into a different room. We have alway really enjoyed staying close to each other but because someone at the front desk screwed up, it didn't happen this year. What good is paying for a room Whe you don't get that room? I'm talking about $800.00
Worth of rooms. The assistant manager told me that no rooms are guaranteed, EVEN if they have been paid for. GO FIGURE. Never again for me.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Davenport
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We visit Adventureland every year and always stay at the Adventureland Inn. I have to admit we were a little disappointed this time. We have always been pleased with our stays at this hotel as it's close to the park with a complimentary shuttle, the rooms are decent, and customer service is good. There was something a little different this time, however. I will try to list the pros and cons.
First, our room was not ready until late in the afternoon. Not a problem since we were at the park most of the day. We were told it was not only because they had been booked full from the weekend but because they were short of help. When we did return to check in, we were assigned a room in the complete opposite direction of the lobby, clear across the hotel. We were given a map but no other directions as to the best way to reach it or even where to park to unload. The room had a funky smell so we quickly went back to request a different room and one on the second floor to avoid listening to little feet running above us. We were promptly reassigned to the same general area. Again, we were given a map but no directions for the easiest way to reach it nor where the closest elevator was. The front desk staff was not helpful or as friendly as they usually are. When we inquired about directions to the local Applebees (where we had eaten during a previous stay), the desk clerk had no idea where it was or how to get there though it was just a short drive away, near many other restaurants and a Wal-Mart.
The room itself is okay. It was clean and had a mini-fridge and coffee-maker. The shower had great pressure and felt good after a long day at the park. However, the toilet did not always want to flush. The beds and pillows were AWFUL. They were so uncomfortable and I slept terrible. I do not remember them being this bad before. There were no room darkening shades on the window and the bright sunlight hindered any chance of sleeping in. There was also no channel guide in the room. Not being from the Des Moines area, we had no idea what the channels were and had to surf them all to find something. I called the front desk to inquire about one and was told I could pick one up there. Really? A poorly xeroxed copy of a channel guide couldn't be kept in the room for the guests' convenience? The room prices are a bit steep for what you get but I know you are paying for convenience and location.
The pools and swim up bar are nice though very crowded. At one point there were so many bodies in the water, it looked like the scene from Titanic when the ship finally sank. My children had no place to actually swim and got jumped on and kicked. Jenevieve from the bar was very nice and helpful. Towels are provided which is another nice and appreciated amenity.
Because of our troubles, we were comped a breakfast buffet one morning. I am so glad we did not pay for this. I am sorry to the staff that prepares this but it was awful!!! The fresh fruit was delicious and the hash browns had a nice flavor but very limited variety of anything else. The eggs and pancakes were even bad, rubbery. We did not eat at any of the other restaurants because they were not good in the past and the prices too high. We rarely saw other patrons there as well. My recommendation is to really work on the quality of food to keep the guests there in the hotel. Great convenience for the guests and revenue for the hotel, win-win. I personally hate leaving for dinner but will not waste that amount of money on poor quality food since we do that all day at the park.
Overall this is an acceptable place to stay. We love the trolley, the pool and bar are nice, and the rooms provide what you need. I am sure we will stay there again next year but would love to see a few little improvements.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Brianne F, Public Relations Manager at Adventureland Inn, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
On behalf of our General Hotel Manager, Matthew Krantz:
Thank you for your review. The Ladies and Gentlemen at Adventureland Inn truly appreciate your feedback, and are disappointed to hear about your concerns with our front desk staff and food service. Any explanation would sound like excuses, and there simply is no excuse for offering less than exemplary guest service. If you would like to discuss your concerns, please contact me at 515-265-7321 or Matthew@Adventureland-inn.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Very Truly,

Matthew Krantz

Been to Adventureland Inn? Share your experiences!