I grew up minutes away from Adventureland and have stayed at the Inn many times. Since we were going to be in town visiting family I was excited to plan a 2-night stay at the expanded Inn and visit the amusement park to celebrate our son's 10th birthday. I booked the most expensive room, a poolside family suite, plus a separate room for my in-laws. The check-in staff was very nice and helpful.
Our room was small, dark and musty smelling. The A/C was turned way down and even setting it at the highest setting it never got really cool and comfortable in the room. Both refrigerators were turned off to save energy, but turning them on to cool down used way more energy that just leaving them cold and shut between patrons. There was long dark hair on the floor of the bathroom when we arrived. (My hair is short and blonde...) the air vents were dirty and covered in mold, and the room was not very clean. The fold-out sofa bed was broken and we had to both pull really hard to get it folded out. Then the next day we could not get it to fold up. The frame was bent and the sofa was falling apart. It was terribly inconvenient to not have a couch to sit on. The bottles of shampoo, etc were so small that you could only wash 2 people, even though there were 5 of us in a family suite. We spent the day at the park and that was awesome. The pools were really nice and clean. I liked that a 'referee' was on duty what nag all the activity for safety reasons.
Overall I was disappointed in the Inn. It just seemed so tired and worn. Very little attention to the little things that make a stay comfortable. I didn't expect it to be super fancy, but it wasn't any where close to the quality of the Holiday Inn Express we stayed at several nights ago. No free breakfast, old bedding and furnishings, cheap in every aspect. So sad......
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Adventureland Inn! At Adventureland Inn you will find 185 guest rooms with over 15,000 square feet of flexible meeting space! Adventureland Inn is a full service hotel with two restaurants on site, as well as room service. Our indoor pool areas and courtyards are among the finest in the area, with three pools featuring the only swim-up bar in the Midwest! We are located right next to Iowa's largest attraction, Adventureland and also next to Iowa’s largest casino, Prairie Meadows! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Adventureland Des Moines
- Adventureland Hotel Altoona
- Adventureland Inn Des Moines
- Adventure Land Inn
- Adventureland Inn Altoona, Iowa