“Modern hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 hotels in Altoona
Johnston, Iowa
“Modern hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

A group of us (20's-50's) stayed at Prairie Meadows Hotel over NYE. The hotel is nice, new, and modern. Rooms are large - offering pull out couches, tv area and small bar area.Pool is slightly on the small side. The attached casino has been updated and is much nicer. Plenty of bars throughout the casino, one in the lobby of the hotel. Offers plenty of eating choices - buffet was expensive though (25 a person). Would recommend this hotel if anyone who is going to gamble, otherwise they offer nothing.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

94 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I had a great time with friends and family at Prairie Meadows. The rooms are nice but could be a little cleaner. It wasn't anything unacceptable, just noticeable. The bed skirt had something spilled or "shot" on it from a previous guest and the corners in the bathroom were dirty. The service was remarkable though. With it being new years, the ice machine down the hall from the room was out but had a sign saying "due to the new years celebrations the ice machine is having trouble keeping up. If this machine runs out please call the front desk and we would be happy to accommodate you." I thought that was cool. Also the TV didn't work and although we explained to the front desk that we didn't need it and we were just reporting it to avoid blame, they came up and fixed it within the hour.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
West Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Our company recently held its Christmas party at The Meadows event center at Prairie Meadows. The party was very easy to coordinate thanks to the amazing staff at this venue. Our room was beautifully decorated, and everyone in our party of 20 had an wonderful evening. The staff was helpful and stayed with us for the duration of the night to make sure that we had everything that we needed. The buffet dinner was great, and everyone raved about the dessert. I would definitely recommend this venue to anyone looking for a place to have a wedding reception or group event!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

My husband and I recently spent the night at the Prairie Meadows Hotel after a night of "Boxing at the Meadows". We checked into our room, ate a nice dinner at AJ's Steakhouse, did some gambling, and attended the boxing extravaganza, all under one roof. Our hotel room was clean and modern, and the bed was very comfortable. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. After the boxing match, I went downstairs in search of an iced tea, and the woman at the bar fresh-brewed one for me. You can't get better than that. The next morning we had a wonderful breakfast in their Cafe. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubuque
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

First let's start with the good. It was clean, well appointed and modern. You cannot get to a room floor without a key (unless you walk through the casino). Did not check to see if the stairs were secure.

The servers for the lunches during our meetings brought hot food out and were very attentive to our group of 100. The coffee was always hot and full. Would do a session here anytime.

Check-in was a black eye on the face of service. Several things happened that were less than stellar. First, when I asked about extending the 11 AM check out since my meeting went until 3:30 pm I was told we could have until one pm. Maybe I am stupid but I assumed since I asked they did it - but they didn't. And the keys stopped working at 11 am and housekeeping showed up "since we should have been out". Fortunately my wife was ready to go and just left. She found a quiet spot to sit and read until I was done. Second, when I struggled in with the luggage the nice lady at the reception desk did not even inquire if I needed help. (There was no indication of bell service being available.)

All hotels have some rooms with issues. My favorite was the one in Miami on the second floor with a view of the alley looking right into the dumpster. We settled into our room and unpacked before the issue was evident. To be fair we did not complain to the hotel since changing rooms would have been annoying. Hotel policy is to give out the rooms with problems FIRST. If a guest will stay there then later arrivals will not have problems. We were near the elevator and heard the hum of the motors when ever they were in use. We spent two nights and put up with it.

What was most disturbing is the lack of sound dampening from the hallway. And both nights the gamblers who can by at 2 am were rowdy. So if you want a nice quiet place to rest this is not it. If you want to party until the wee hours this is your place.

I will have future meetings there but most likely will find a less expensive place to one or both nights now that I have seen the area. It is a shame but if we get kicked out at 11 am my wife most likely will not want to join me so all I need is a bed and a shower.....

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators. If you are not a player ask for a room at the far end from the Casino...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Rockton, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

One night on business traveling through Iowa. Hotel is newer and you can tell. Grounds and interior is very clean, up to date. Huge lobby area and bar with several tables and chairs to have a business meeting or a refreshment on the ground floor. Furnishings and decorations were modern. It was a nice, clean room. Flat screen TV, wi-fi worked really well, bathroom was very nice including the shower and water pressure. There was not a fan option in the room, only a temperature switch so keep that in mind for those that enjoy background white noise in their room. Alot of the interior was white which might get a bit marked up over the years, but certainly doesn't show it currently. Connected to the hotel are a couple restaurant options to eat dinner and breakfast as well as the casino. I always like this option because I don't like to go back out to find somewhere to eat after traveling all day. I will stay here again the next time my travels bring me through Des Moines.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We've stayed at Prairie Meadows three or four times and have never been disappointed. The rooms are clean and spacious, beds are comfortable. Our only complaint would be that the hotel parking is rather far from the door (it can seem VERY far in the winter, when it's cold and snowy and the parking lot is icy), and could be laid out better. It would be nice if breakfast were included with the room.

We always have fun at Prairie Meadows casino, and the buffet is good. Bottom line: comfort and fun.

Room Tip: For easier access to the casino, ask for a room at the casino end of the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Prairie Meadows Hotel? Share your experiences!