“Don't bring your dog” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Altoona
san francisco, CA
“Don't bring your dog”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

We went to Settle Inn, having been told that they were pet friendly and no other motel in the immediate area was. Indeed they took dogs, but they told us that not only did we have to pay the usual $15 fee (can't complain about that, although it's higher than many), but that we'd have to go in a smoking room, on the top floor. We had to schlep all of our stuff, and the dog stuff, up the tiny elevator and we were put in a room in which it smelled like the smoking predecessor had just left. We had to open windows, on a very cold night, to make the place tolerable. The place was dark and while not filthy was anything but sparklingly clean. The staff was a bit gruff and not willing to negotiate on the need for giving us a smoking room. The beds were OK and the breakfast not bad.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Midwest
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

We had two theme suites, each were dark and gloomy. Water leak in ceiling above pool entrance required 2 garbage cans to walk around for entire weekend. The breakfast was ok but they don't have enough help to keep it stocked. Coffee pots were empty, I was told I would have to go to lobby to get coffee because the lady was busy checking guests out. Paid bill in cash only to get credit card bill later with a $50 damage fee for a red stain on carpet. We didn't stain the carpet, and there was no stain in our room during our stay. Location is convenient to casino and beds seemed comfortable, but these guys customer service will do them in if the competition doesn't first.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Altoona hotels

San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

I came to this hotel with no expectations. I was in Des Moines for a friends wedding and I just needed a room to crash in. The room was descent, clean, nice with a reclining chair. In the morning I was impressed with the continental breakfast. They had a waffle maker, cereal, fresh bagels, one day they had bisquits and gravy. The coffee was great!!!...and a good selection of juices. If you are looking for a comfy place come here, if you are looking for a resort...don't come to Des Moines=)...Overall, very satisfied!...P.S. the casino is right across the street, I won $60 in 5 minutes=)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

After calling Holiday Inns and other usually good hotels, we settled for this one due to arriving after a long day of travel. It is old, dark and has a "dank" smell. I had not checked Trip Advisor!! I think the only way they stay in business is due to the huge gambling casino and horse racing up the street!

Won't stay here again EVER!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Lakeville, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

I was at the Settle Inn to set up a sale at a function at the Shriners next door They shared the same drive so couldn't get a better location. We had a room with 2 Queen size beds and they slept REALLY well. The room was very clean & well furnished. In the morning they have a very good FREE Breakfast with hot Waffles, Sausage Gravy & Biskets, Plus everything else you'd usually get at a hotel Breakfast.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Midwest
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

I had two criteria, a hot tub and a pool. They assured me over the phone that they had both. I specifically asked if the hot tub worked. I was told yes. We check in and are informed that the hot tub is out of order. OK .I can deal with that. We get to our rooms. My sister's is right next store and is the same price. Ours had two beds and a small 19" tv, a chair and a bathroom so small you had to open the door to turn around. Hers had a microwave, fridge and a balcony. So we're ready to check out of this dive. The person at the front desk said he'd up grade our room to the Safari Suite. That sounded ok, it had a two person hot tub in the room. A bed, a chase lounge and a TV. And that was it!
So our 8 year old slept on the chase but there were no coffee tables, end tables, a desk or anything in the room if you needed to set something down, like a soda or if your child wanted to color. The elevator was not working when we returned from our function. And no one at the hotel seemed to care that it didn't work. I had knee surgery in October and just got off crutches. So I was less that pleased to have to walk up three flights of stairs. And finally the bed squeaked at the slightest movement. Both my husband and myself couldn't move without the bed making the most obnoxious noise that woke you up from a dead sleep. We wouldn't go back if you paid us.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — being there
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Fortcalhoun Nebr.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2008

The hotel room was dirty and needed updated big time they did take 55.00 dollars off for the dirty room unless they update an clean the rooms I would not stay here again

• Liked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Altoona Settle Inn? Share your experiences!