“Great place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Altoona Inn

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Altoona Inn to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Altoona Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 34th Ave NW, Altoona, IA 50009 (Formerly Heartland Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Altoona
GreenLeadersBronze level
Austin, TX
“Great place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

I was pleasantly surprised by Heartland Inn. They are currently remodeling. The room was very clean, staff was friendly and I got a great night sleep. I would stay here again and I'm pretty picky!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Conrad, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

The motel was in the middle of a remodeling project & we were not told this at the time our reservations were made. The hallway was dirty with construction materials & dust. Materials were eventually removed , but no attempt was made to vacuum the dust. There were no hangers in the closet, no blanket on the bed, we had a microwave , but it was not plugged in because there was no outlet to plug it in to. The juice machine in the breakfast room was out of order. The security system was turned off at the outside door near our room...."because of the construction ", we were told. But there was no work going on there from Friday afternoon thru Sunday morning while we were there. The system should have been reactivated for the weekend! No offer to compensate us on our bill due to the less that favorable conditions during our stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
WATERLOO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

This hotel is a GREAT deal for the money. The rooms/lobby is very clean. The staff is very friendly. They even have snacks throughout the day, including popcorn and homemade cookies. I didn't use the pool while there but it too was very clean and decent sized. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a very nice hotel at an affordable price.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
South Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

A major renovation needs to be done here. Headboard was cockeyed, the blanket was pilled and the sheets were worn. It was clean and the continental breakfast was fine. The best thing I could say about this motel was how quiet it was during the night and that we were only staying one night.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Davenport, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

We stayed here for one night after spending the day at Adventureland. We rented two rooms, one for our family (with three young children) and the other for my parents. We usually stay at the Adventureland Inn, but they are getting very expensive even for a basic room, and they offer no freebies in the way of food or coffee. This year we decided to try Heartland Altoona and were not disappointed. The room was $42 cheaper than Adventureland Inn and offered a free "hearty breakfast". This saved us even more money, as we did not have to stop for breakfast on the way home. In addition to most of the standard stuff of continental breakfasts (cereal, orange juice, coffee, hot tea, yogurt, toast, bananas, bagels, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs etc.), they had some extras to make it "hearty" such as a waffle maker and biscuits and gravy. They also offer evening snacks and had popcorn and cookies when we arrived back from Adventureland at 9:00 pm. They also have free coffee 24-7, as far as I can tell. There is one computer in the lobby for guests where you can check e-mail, surf the internet, etc. for no charge. There is also a pop machine and vending machine snacks available, as well as ice machines.

The room was your basic room with two double beds and was clean and comfortable. There are coffee makers in the rooms. The staff was very friendly, especially the front desk person (I think his name was Wil). I also spoke with several housekeepers, and they were all friendly and helpful as well. The indoor pool and hot tub were fairly small (max occupancy 20), but my kids still had a blast swimming for a few hours before we checked out. I definitely would not book this hotel if you are looking for a really nice, large pool, but for us, it was just fine. It was also open from 8:00 am to 11:00 pm, which is longer than most hotel pools.

Another advantage is that the hotel is literally right across the street from Adventureland (on the side of the Tornado) and we were able to walk there and save on paying for two cars to park in the Adventureland lot. There is also a Bosselman Travel Center (large convenience store/gas) and Burger King very close by.

Overall, our family had a great experience here. We go to Adventureland once a year, and definitely plan to book this hotel for our trip next summer!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Friendswood, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

Check in was pleasant; clean staff and very polite. Hotel entrance and appearance was impressive for a smaller chain hotel.

I reserved and was given the ‘King Suite’ on the second floor. Upon entry the room smelled clean, no weird odor like other hotels I have been in. The room appearance was clean with nothing out of place. The TV was very dated and I can only hope that they replace the 19” Tube color television very soon.

The furnishings in the room are a bit worn and do have the ‘dated’ look. The furnishings were clean and did not appear damaged, but were definitely older in style and look. The room has wall paper that was of a cream color that was not bad with a horse’s border at the top. There are a few 4 horses photos hanging on the wall, so I am assuming this is the ‘Horse Suite.’ Room has a small refrigerator and coffee maker.

The desk that is in the room is nice, however is a bit impracticable. The desk is placed in a located that does not allow reasonable lighting to do any real paperwork; you are sitting in the dark. They need to put a desk light on the desk- but they can’t do that either, because there is not an electrical outlet within reach of the desk for 12 feet in either direction. Forget about sitting at the desk to set up your computer and do some work, you will be sitting on the couch or the bed to obtain the access to the outlet.

The bathroom was very clean with an excellent amount of towels, wash cloths and the typical toiletries. The nozzle in the bathroom is broken, meaning that you are not able to actually aim it at a specific point when you shower. The nozzle just goes where it desires when the water is pouring out of it- another thing that needs to be repaired.

I was here on a Wednesday afternoon/night. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they serve a meal during Wednesday evenings. The meal was nothing exciting, but it was a meal non-the less. My meal was pasta with red sauce and grated cheese. Breadsticks were warm and also served garlic on it. Cold ice tea and juice was also available. Like I said, this was not Olive Garden, but it did save me money and a trip from having to go out again. Kudos to them for the meal.

Overall, I will rate this hotel 3 out of 5 stars. With some of the improvements that I have mentioned in this review, if attention is given I would provide a higher rating.

• Liked — Close to my meeting area
  • Disliked — no pool, sauna. Rooms need electrical upgrades to accomadate better lighting
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ames, Ia.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2006

We wanted to plan an overnight stay in Altoona for my daughter's 17th B-day and needed a motel close to Adventureland. There isn't much to choose from in Altoona, but if you want something priced decently and don't want to pay over 100.00 a night just for a fancy pool, this is the motel for you.
I didn't pick the best weekend, Odyssey of the Mind was in Central Iowa, so the motel was over run with kids, but with the excellent staff, that only made a difference when wanting to use the pool, (which just isn't big enough for more than 6 people).
Check in went smoothly, (cookies available as desk, yummy), and the room, though it wasn't fancy, was very clean and comfortable.
All staff members were great! Friendly and very service oriented.
At breakfast, items were continually stocked, and the variety offered made for a good breakfast no matter what your food of choice may be.
I would definately stay again.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Altoona Inn? Share your experiences!