“Lucky we got a room!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Altoona Inn

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Altoona Inn to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Altoona Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 34th Ave NW, Altoona, IA 50009 (Formerly Heartland Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Altoona
GreenLeadersBronze level
WI
“Lucky we got a room!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

All the hotels in the greater Des Moines area were sold out and we luckily called this hotel right after someone had cancelled their reservation. The location was good, the staff very friendly and helpful. Room was very nice, clean and well appointed. Continental breakfast was usual fare, but everything was being replenished constantly. They could us a little bigger area for breakfast, especially when they have these busy times, but we were just happy to have found a room and were thrilled when it turned out so well!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

We were just traveling I-80. Stopped very late at night/early morning. Desk clerk was nice but was sleepy as I was. Tried to run my BW Rewards card as my credit card so was a little confusing check-in with both of us half asleep. No matter the room was comfortable and clean. Got the last of breakfast since we arrived late we had slept in so not great but got us on the road well rested. A convient distance stop as we travel so will stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Cedar Rapids
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

My family stayed at Best Western over the weekend 5/12 for two nights. Room seemed kind of cramped. There are two chairs, a fairly good size table, microwave, refrigerator, flat screen, so everything that is needed for a hotel room. They also had cookies and popcorn each evening from 5-7 so my kids were loving that. Unfortunately, the big groups of people this weekend made that a chore to find a cookie when as soon as they were sat out, the group devoured them. Not the company fault by any means.

I would like to state that the weekend we were there, the pool heater was broke. Sign on the door stating this. My girls did use the pool and pool towels were available each time we did go there. What I hate about hotels is that they do not put a restroom anywhere close to the pool. It drives me nuts for the kids who must go to the lobby or up to their room to the bathroom. I therefore had to pull all three of my kids out of the pool while one goes to the bathroom. I assumed if I left a 9 and 10 year old alone in the pool area while taking the 5 year old, someone would not approve.

Breakfast dining area is a joke as indicated before. The staff did bend over backwards on Sunday morning to keep everything filled. We did get there early though so maybe latecomers weren't so lucky.

Overall, adequate stay for a hotel in this category. Nothing terrible, nothing wonderful either. Hotel is just up the road from many restaurants including a fabulous BBQ place called Jethro's.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Comfortable room for a five-night stay - nice beds and choice of pillows.
Breakfast fine but breakfast area a little small for the number of guests - even on a weekday.
All staff members were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

We knew we would not be spending a lot of time at our hotel, so we were looking for a basic room in a hotel with a pool. The room was clean and met our needs for the weekend. The room was a bit small with a lot of furniture, which was difficult with a small child. The pool is very basic and quite small, which suited our needs fine for this stay.

The location was convenient since it is right off I-80. It is very convenient to Adventureland and there are restaurants in the area.

The breakfast exceeded my expectations. I was expecting cold cereal and breads only, but there was also pancakes, buscuits with gravy and fresh fruit. The breakfast area was quite small though, and with a full hotel that made for a tight squeeze.

Bottom line ... if I was looking for a basic room again, I would consider staying here, but if I am looking for a hotel that will be an integral part of our trip, I will look elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
peosta, ia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

located ajacent to Adventureland park in Iowa. Very good breakfast and helpful and friendly staff. Will stay there again when we go back

Room Tip: microwave and fridge in room was very handy, take food and beverages with you.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Omaha, NE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

We stayed here with another couple for a "grown up" weekend without the kids. Our main intention was to go to Adventureland, and I wanted a hotel close-by. This hotel is on the back side of the amusement park, but it's a short enough walk around to the front gate of the park. The front desk staff was friendly, but as stated in another review, often absent. As we didn't need much after checking in, this wasn't a big problem for us. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Our king sized bed was a bit firm, but that was fine for us. We loved having a refrigerator and a microwave in the room. We also had a desk with an office chair and a comfortable armchair in the room. The bathroom was standard, with a tub/shower combo, and again, I found it very clean. The continental breakfast was nothing spectacular, but still a nice bonus. They also have a popcorn machine with popcorn available throughout the day, and often a plate of cookies sitting in the lobby. Can't complain about having free snacks!! The pool is small and on the weekend, quite busy. We were sad there was no hottub, but honestly we probably wouldn't have had much time to use one anyway. All in all, this place was warm, welcoming and comfortable. It suited our needs as a place to rest and recoop after playing at Adventureland!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Altoona Inn? Share your experiences!