“Camping lodge” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Des Moines West KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Adel
Des Moines West KOA
You added Des Moines West KOA to your Saves list
34308 L Avenue, Adel, IA   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Specialty Lodging in Adel
Iowa
“Camping lodge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We recently spent one night in a camping lodge at the Adel KOA. Check in was very fast, and the two employees working the front desk friendly.
The camping lodge had a bedroom with double bed, and a small closet-like room with one set of bunk beds. My twins slept in the bunk beds, and thought it was really neat since the bunk bed room is so tiny. The lodge also has a living room/kitchen area with a pull out futon. I slept on the futon, and it was surprisingly comfortable. The bathroom was decent, with a shower/tub, toilet, and sink. I did run out of hot water just a few minutes after starting my shower.
The campground is out in the country, which I liked since it was peaceful and quiet. It has a pool, but it was not open yet when we stayed there. My kids enjoyed the playground. There's a small pond with a path around it that we walked on.
I would stay at this campground again if we are in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Ridgway, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed one night on business passing through Iowa. The campground is in a VERY rural area. No real food choices .. pre-made pizza or Subway were really the only options and they were several miles away from the campground. We have a suburban and tow a 20 foot cargo trailer. They had no tent sites due to the size of our vehicle and trailer and wanted to charge us the full RV price .. which was over $40 if I recall. We had been on the road for 12 hours and just wanted to get some rest. We called back the front desk and they gave us a cabin for around $10 more than the RV site. Figured it was our best option. Cabin was very clean, the restrooms were also very clean. Just seems expensive for off season .. but perhaps I'm out of touch. For another $10 we could have stayed at a budget hotel where we wouldn't have to walk 100 feet to the bathroom. If we had an RV this may have been a good option.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Urbandale, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed here last weekend and had a great time. The Koa is perfect for families or just pulling in and staying a nite. Very close to our place in Urbandale...staff was very nice. I would like to see more trees for shade but overall everthing was great. We made plenty of campfires for meals but it was nice to be able to order pizza if needed. The pool was very clean and the water was more than comfortable. I love that this place is right off the interstate and all the sites are pull thrus. If your looking to go camping this weekend, you cant go wrong staying here!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Daphne, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at KOA West Des Moines for one night 7/28/2012 on our way from northern MN back to our home in southern AL and were pleasantly surprised. Initially, we thought being this far off the I-35S in the middle of farmland might have been a mistake, but not so. The property is clean, the staff friendly and the sunset was fantastic. Children seemed to be having plenty of fun, bath and laundry facilities were clean. Though we don't have anything to compare it to, we thought the store was well stocked; they even offer made-to-order pizza and delivered it to our 5th wheel which was great since there's really no where else to go to eat.

Sadly, one of the best features of this property is one we didn't get to enjoy; Adel, IA is just north of Winterset, IA in Madison County which is the setting for the book/movie The Bridges of Madison County. I would have LOVED to see the town and the bridges, but alas, our tight travel sked didn't allow it...this time. Hubby has promised me we will return and I look forward to it!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

My family (4 adults and 3 children) stayed at this KOA one night on our way back from New Mexico. The site was level and had enough room for our pop-up which has a slide-out. The pool was greatly appreciated and the water warm enough for all to enjoy. Bathrooms were clean but tended to have a constant wet floor probably due everyone's wet bathing suits. The laundry facilities were good and the machines and area well kept. We had a modern (hard plastic) picnic table rather than a worn out wooden one that I am always fearful of the kids getting a splinter from. This was a first for us. The sites are very roomy and had individual grassy areas with a fire ring. We did not have any problems hearing people next to us. We did not have time to fish, but our neighbor's little girl caught seven (catch and release). I would have liked to stay another day, but we did not have the time. I would recommend this campground.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Redfield, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

This past weekend my family and I had the privledge of Staying in a Lodge at the DSM West KOA. The Lodge and campground met and exceeded our expectations. The Lodge was a home away from home. Very cozy fully equiped with all the comforts needed to make our stay relaxing and stress free. Our kids were entertained and loved the crafts and scavenger hunt. An added bonus for the adults was the evening weekend wine tasting featuring favorites from local wineries. This KOA campground is very family friendly with a friendly and personable managment and staff. I highly recommed this campground for your next camping trip.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Adel
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Stuart
Candlewood Suites - Des Moines
#11 of 17 in West Des Moines
4.0 of 5 stars 71 reviews
Drury Inn & Suites West Des Moines
Drury Inn & Suites West Des Moin...
#2 of 17 in West Des Moines
4.5 of 5 stars 241 reviews
Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moines West
Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moine...
#9 of 17 in West Des Moines
4.0 of 5 stars 144 reviews
SpringHill Suites Des Moines West
SpringHill Suites Des Moines Wes...
#10 of 17 in West Des Moines
3.5 of 5 stars 111 reviews

Been to Des Moines West KOA? Share your experiences!