“Civil War Days” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Angola/Fremont Area

Ramada Angola/Fremont Area
You added Ramada Angola/Fremont Area to your Saves list
Ramada Angola/Fremont Area
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3855 North State Road 127, Interstate 69 Exit 354, Angola, IN 46703   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Angola
MUNCIE
“Civil War Days”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

The room was fine we were very tired and emotionally done in from having worked all day, then taking a 2.5 hr trip in the rain and being disapointed because of weather that we couldn't get our encampment set up and would have all that work to do in the morning. The ice machine outside our door was broken so I ended up walking all over the facility to find ice. I just wanted to get checked in for the night and collapse. We were very impressed with the breakfast the next morning and felt that was a redeeming factor. We had a little sticker shock checking in and were greatful for a few discounts we were able to receive.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Ramada

hmp1219, Owner at Ramada Angola/Fremont Area, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Thank you for the kind review of our hotel. We are always reading all the reviews and work to learn from them and becoming a better hotel for our guests. Sorry about the ice machine not functioning but it has since been repaired. Thanks again for taking the time to get us a rate of 4 out of 5 rating.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

BEWARE of the road construction. It'll take you on a l--o---o---n---n----g----g detour! At 1 a.m. it's difficult to see the tiny signs leading your path, too. However, if you get a front-desk guy like we did, it makes it a bit easier. He was excellent. Still, it took us longer than we anticipated. We asked for a non-smoking room and got the only smoking room on the floor. It stunk to high heaven! The redeeming element to this "side trip" was the complimentary breakfast. Plenty to eat and good stuff, too. I would not recommend visiting this place until AFTER the construction is complete. Otherwise, don't bother. Stay at the Comfort Inn right off the highway and pay a few bucks more.

Room Tip: Ask for (and DEMAND) a non-smoking room!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
The road is back open and again and we business as usual. Thanks for the great comments on our hotel and we are really sorry about the road being closed during your stay and we tried our best with over 500 little road signs along the way to get your from the detour. But stay with us you will be surprised at the value of having a free breakfast and onsite- restaurant and bar.
Fargo, North Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I recently stayed here while on a road trip. I very much dislike giving a poor review, but in this example I am compelled to give you an accurate picture of what you might encounter while staying here. First off, I called in first (I highly recommend doing this if you're not familiar with the town) The staff was courteous and immediately let me know of the construction in the area. They gave us directions. There's no way my nav system would have directed us properly and it's not easy to figure out on your own. It was dark out and even with the directions it was still a little bit of a challenge but I was at least prepared for that.

When I walked in, I was taken aback by the musty smell. It wasn't a show stopper, but it wasn't pleasant. I was disappointed to find the smell was also in my room. I was only staying one night so I was willing to put up with it, however when I opened my suitcase at my next destination guess what smell permeated from my clothing!! My husband who suffers from allergies became very stuffy while there.

The final thing I'll comment on is the place is dated and in need of some updates, and the cleanliness is questionable. I had a faint pink stain on my toilet seat (I can only hope was cleaner), needless to say I thoroughly cleaned it just in case.

Bottom line, this hotel will do in a fix, but if you have the means to look elsewhere I would.

Room Tip: There's no elevator (least I was aware of), so if you have heavy luggage like I did, request a g...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
hmp1219, Owner at Ramada Angola/Fremont Area, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you for your resent stay at our hotel. We appreciate that positive comments on our hotel. All our staff works hard to continually improve our hotel and service. The guest satisfaction is most important to us. We will work to make progress in improving our hotel and serving is guests thanks again for your comments and constructive feedback.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

So, it's not Ramada's fault that the detours to get to this property added more than 40 minutes to our trip.

But surely they still shouldn't be claiming to be minutes off the highway or minutes from the outlet. And there's little better awaiting you when you arrive. The rooms are old, noisy and smelly. The ice machines don't work. The hallways look decrepit. The wifi is buggy and web it works it's slow. The breakfast is soggy where it shouldn't be and cold when it should be hot.

And the staff is surly. Which I probably would be too if I had to work here.

This all might be ok at half the price. But definitely not at what they want to charge.

Bleah. Stay at any one of the competitors in a 10 mile radius. You'll thank me.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for your resent stay at our hotel. As you know the road to hotel was closed for 3 months in 2012 but it now reopened. There is no need to use one of our competitors now we had open back for business just minutes off the interstates. Our Wi-Fi is faster now and hotel is better now that our customers can reach us. We are thankful to all the loyal customers that stayed with even during the road construction. We appreciate that positive comments on our hotel. All our staff works hard to continually improve our hotel and service. The guest satisfaction is most important to us. We will work to make progress in improving our hotel and serving is guests thanks again for your comments and constructive feedback.
Ohio, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I rented 2 rooms next to each other from July 13-15, 2012 , one for my wife and me, and the other for my adult daughter. The hotel was difficult to get to because of extensive road construction projects all around the area. We had to go 7 miles out of our way each time we returned to the hotel, which pretty much destroyed one of the main reasons I picked it, which was its supposedly convenient location to the highway. The road construction has been going on a long time, and it would have been nice for the road detour information to be prominently posted somewhere. There is still nothing on the Ramada website showing the road problems and detours.

The rooms were large, with a big bathroom. Unfortunately, everything in the room was somewhat grimy to touch, and you could smell that people had been smoking in the room even though it was a non-smoking room. The frame around the sink was completely cracked and split open, and it was a wonder that the sink was still being held up. There was brown and black slime or mold in many places in the bathroom. Worst of all, in my daughter's room, when we arrived back late the second night, brown crud was coming out of the bathroom faucet and it would not stop. We checked out the next morning, and the desk clerk said the brown crud was because the hotel used well water. No apology, no sympathy, just "Oh, we use well water, so you should expect that." I use well water at home, and that is not a normal part of having a well unless there are serious problems with the well or the plumbing.

The hotel exterior is run down, and the interior walkways and halls are worse--certainly not what I expected for $100 a night in rural Indiana. There was cigarette smell everywhere, in our rooms, the halls, the front desk, outside, you could not get away from it. There is a strange tiled area near the ice machine that caused me to slip all 3 times I went to get ice, even though all the other hallways have carpeting--very old, disgusting carpeting, by the way.

One specific thing drove me crazy. The exterior doors were supposed to be locked at all times so that only guests with a room magnetic key could enter, but every time I entered or exited door Number 4 to our part of the parking lot, there was a rock propping open the door. I think the hotel staff were keeping the door open, which completely destroys the safety of having a locked door-and at this out of the way place, I wanted that door to be locked. I removed the rock each time, and there was always a new one there when I returned. This happened at least 12 times.

Needless to say, we'll never stay there again. I gave it a 2 of 5 because not everything was terrible. There was a big LED TV, but the remote did not work very well so we did not use it much. The beds were firm. The sheets and towels were clean and plentiful, but the bed comforter was kind of nasty to touch. The air conditioner worked pretty well. The other main reason for picking the hotel was that it allowed us to keep our dog in the room for $25 extra per night, and we saw 2 other people with dogs. There were plenty of places to walk the dog outside the hotel. The continental breakfast was OK, not great. There were plenty of parking spaces because not many people are staying at the hotel. There is a pool, but we did not use it because of having our dog with us. Also, dogs are not allowed in the continental breakfast area. I wondered if we got particularly bad rooms because of having a dog, but if that was the case, we should not have been charged extra for having a dog.

Room Tip: Do not take room 257 or 259--they are bad.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your resent stay at our hotel. We appreciate that positive comments on our hotel. As you know our road was shut down in 2012 by INDOT and reopened in Sept. 2012. I am really sorry about the road. Also the rooms and the hallways have no been upgraded to newer lighting and 100% smoke free law as gone into effect preventing individuals smoking in Indiana Hotel. We have implemented a smoking free for those guests that smoke in the hotel. All our staff works hard to continually improve our hotel and service. The guest satisfaction is most important to us. We will work to make progress in improving our hotel and serving is guests thanks again for your comments and constructive feedback.
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I stayed at this property a few years ago and then again at the end of May. My first visit was so-so, but this one shows a hotel that's making improvements. The bed, carpeting, and TV were all updated since my last visit. Though the hallways were occasionally smoky (I think Indiana doesn't have a smoking ban in hotels), our room didn't have any sort of smoke odor.

The breakfast is pretty good (for a 2-star property on most discount websites), the indoor pool is huge, and the video arcade, though slightly dated, is really large and kids would probably enjoy it. There is an exercise room, but I found some of the equipment needed repair. When I mentioned it to the manager on duty, she apologized and quickly wrote a note about it.

You're a couple of miles from I-80/90 and closer to I-69, and the town isn't exactly teeming with dining options, but this worked well as an inexpensive stopover on a cross-country trip.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

This great little Ramada is just a stone's throw off the beaten path of I-69 and the Indiana Turnpike (I-80), but is well worth the three little turns to get to it. It's clean, the beds are comfy, the rooms well-appointed and the breakfast is top-notch in its class. Perhaps the best feature is the selection of tv dinners, Ben and Jerry Ice Creams, snackies and drinks that await the late night traveler. Nobody needs to go to be hungry. I use the Corporate Lodging Card and get great value from my stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your resent stay at our hotel. Our hotel is easiest hotel to get to off I-80/90 especially with the new INDOT Information signs with our Ramada logo on them. We appreciate that positive comments on our hotel. All our staff works hard to continually improve our hotel and service. The guest satisfaction is most important to us. We will work to make progress in improving our hotel and serving is guests thanks again for your comments and constructive feedback.

Been to Ramada Angola/Fremont Area? Share your experiences!